Sponsored by:

Nav Update Disk

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:08 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Nav Update Disk

The family and I are relocating to Nashville from Cincinnati (guess I'll have to change my username), and I have absolutely no idea where anything is when we land. I prefer to keep the OE head unit, but I do like to use the Navigation as bad as it is, from time to time. Does anyone know the last year update you can get?

Or maybe another solution that may work? As any man will attest, I'm not stopping to ask for directions
Old 05-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I bought the most recent update from Suncoast Parts last year. I think the map data was updated in 2014.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:11 PM
Retinasurgeon
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I bought the most recent update from Suncoast Parts last year. I think the map data was updated in 2014.
Dennis,

Is the new nav dvd noticeably better?
Old 06-03-2015, 12:07 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceremony
Dennis,

Yes, it's called the iPhone!
Old 06-03-2015, 08:57 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

I used to rely pretty heavily on my iPhone until it let me down in a rural area because of coverage. Now I like to have a backup plan, especially since I like to go exploring back roads in the Porsche.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:20 AM
robmypro
Race Director

Received 1,772 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Sounds like both our Lexus vehicles. Why can't they get Nav right?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:51 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by robmypro
Sounds like both our Lexus vehicles. Why can't they get Nav right?
short answer is because car companies are good at building cars, and the user interface is not their core competency. that's why Apple's Carplay will be a game changer when manufacturer's start incorporating it into their vehicles. The interface is night and day vs what we have in our cars today. Should be a nice complementary revenue driver for Apple once they roll it out, buy the stock
Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

apple sucks *****.

my nav is not bad, nor was the one in my 05 mercedes.

Don't expect it to be a 2 year old smart phone and use a shred of your own intelligence, and you'll be fine.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:15 AM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Waze app!
Old 06-03-2015, 11:44 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceremony
Dennis,

From an operational standpoint, it's identical. It does show some updated roads in my area and the restaurants and other POIs are updated. For me, it was worth the price. I use my nav system frequently around Denver.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:01 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
apple sucks *****..
LMAOOOOO!! really? it's only the company that completely revolutionized mobile everything, but OK LOL!

sorry, getting way off topic, let's get back to talking about nearly 10 yr old NAV systems
Old 06-03-2015, 02:19 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909
LMAOOOOO!! really? it's only the company that completely revolutionized mobile everything, but OK LOL!

sorry, getting way off topic, let's get back to talking about nearly 10 yr old NAV systems
I'm an admitted Apple guy, but it's hard for anyone to say that they've revolutionized anything. Popularized, yes. Simplified, absolutely. They're never first, they are not technology innovators, per se, but what they are good at is making things appealing and easy.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:39 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CincyScott
I'm an admitted Apple guy, but it's hard for anyone to say that they've revolutionized anything. Popularized, yes. Simplified, absolutely. They're never first, they are not technology innovators, per se, but what they are good at is making things appealing and easy.
Come on now. Henry Ford didn't invent the car, he revolutionized the car industry... Elan Musk didn't invent the electric car, he's in the process of revolutionizing it... Bill Gates didn't invent the PC but he revolutionized the industry... Apple may not have invented every component in their iPhone, but they absolutely put it together and "revolutionized mobile". When it comes to Mobile, there is the time before the iPhone and after. we went from making phone calls and emails on our phones, to running our lives on small super computers in our pockets because of Apple. The iPhone essential put motorola, nokia, blackberry, tom tom and a host of other companies out of business. OK I'll stop now, just a bullish shareholder
Old 06-03-2015, 02:39 PM
drivingon9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
....but what they are good at is making things appealing and easy.
Small correction : "..making things appealing to people that like things easy, with little to no control or customization." I recommend it to my parents and think it's great, but as a power user, I personally hate it. Certainly doesn't mean that it "sucks *****", though...

Back to the original topic The 997.1 nav has been fairly useless, to me. The maps are so dated that it frequently suggests bogus directions (yes, fixable with an update). The UI is also pretty horrible.. Forget trying to add/find an address quickly without pulling over.

I usually use a mounted phone with Waze, but I also like to have a non-data GPS source for reasons already stated. Since I'd also really like to have a decent way to hook up my phone to the radio for music (via bluetooth), I'm exploring the option of just swapping out the whole unit for something more modern to just update everything. Reading other people's experiences and results, it looks pretty appealing. The dated electronics are the only thing in these cars that bugs me a little.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:56 PM
drivingon9
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
Come on now. Henry Ford didn't invent the car, he revolutionized the car industry... Elan Musk didn't invent the electric car, he's in the process of revolutionizing it... Bill Gates didn't invent the PC but he revolutionized the industry... Apple may not have invented every component in their iPhone, but they absolutely put it together and "revolutionized mobile". When it comes to Mobile, there is the time before the iPhone and after. we went from making phone calls and emails on our phones, to running our lives on small super computers in our pockets because of Apple. The iPhone essential put motorola, nokia, blackberry, tom tom and a host of other companies out of business. OK I'll stop now, just a bullish shareholder
lol.. Ranted like a true Apple fan-boi.. I give credit to Apple for being very good at what they do for their intended target users, but every time I see rants like this, it makes me roll me eyes and chuckle.

Quick Reply: Nav Update Disk