Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Old 06-24-2018, 01:53 PM
philjes
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check engine light

Hi , am a newbie here and have a 08 Turbo. I was out in the countryside driving on a tour, when suddenly i started hearing a strange whistling loud noise from the engine. I also noticed that the turbo was not kicking in as well as before. I was more than a 100 miles away from home and broke away from the tour group and decided to drive back home. Soon after, my check engine light turned on and it reminded me to keep below 70 mph, which I did. I however drove the 100 miles back home. I am not a technical person with cars, but still would like to understand what are the probable causes ? From my own research on different blogs, it could be a vacuum leak . Any other opinions ? I just had done an oil change last week and drove just 5 miles since then, before i went on the tour. I dont know if that even matters in this diagnosis, but thought it may help.

Cheers
Old 06-24-2018, 04:21 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Sounds like a boost leak. Check the pressure hose connections from the turbos through to the Y pipe, and the Y pipe to the plenum. You'll likely find one has come loose. Has their been recent work done on your car?
Old 06-24-2018, 06:34 PM
philjes
7th Gear

After visual check and some tug n pull, the only thing i found was one of the intake brackets was not mounted to the engine bay. The pressure hose connections all seem to be in place - nothing shaky or loose.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:32 PM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by philjes
After visual check and some tug n pull, the only thing i found was one of the intake brackets was not mounted to the engine bay. The pressure hose connections all seem to be in place - nothing shaky or loose.
It's still likely one of the connectors that has partially come out. They are sneaky. They will look and feel like they are engaged, but aren't fully. It requires pulling the rear bumpers, wheels, etc to fully inspect and re-seat everything. Happened to me a couple of times before I threw it all out for and upgraded setup.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:09 PM
philjes
7th Gear

Update: Took it to a workshop and he found that the y-pipe to plenum joint had become loose and they fixed it and reset the code. All good now .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check engine light