Sponsored by:

LED DRL headlights on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 07:08 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Most everything you mention has to be transplanted from your stock unit.
It's almost just a shell you buy and probably it's made by Depo.
They should be alright.

I want them now but I have to wait as the part has no EU cert yet.
The vendor in Germany estimates 3 to 4 more months.
Well I wonder if they are DOT certified, and if not, how are they getting into the distribution channel in the states? Maybe designated as "for off road use only". Is there some similar designation in Europe?
Old 05-22-2015, 09:04 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

I guess these headlights must be all the rage nowadays. Just saw another thread on this on he 997 forum.

And I'm sorry, not my taste. I saw them at SEMA last year on a GT3 and did not like them. Aftermarket headlights in general are not something I'd put on my car for safety reasons.

For a little extra $$$ you can get the OEM adaptive headlights.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:23 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko

For a little extra $$$ you can get the OEM adaptive headlights.
Non functioning , not interested in that. You also lose auto height adjustment. Not even legal to drive like that in Europe.

I think these look perfect.
They seem to be made by Depo and that company makes OEM lights too.
Also Porsche is not making them themselves you know. Don't see the problem.

If you don't like them, fine. But safety reasons ?? If they get a EU cert they are as safe as anything from OEM.
On your orange turbo you had led tail lights. Safety concerns are only valid up front or what
Old 05-23-2015, 12:58 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If these are made by depo then they are legit. If they are made by the same sh** company that makes LED turn signals, they are a total waste of money.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:01 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These look really nice. But agree with others, need real world reviews before taking the plung.

I have had the Depo LED tail light for a couple of years and they work well
Old 05-23-2015, 03:20 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Depo should make the LED DRL/turn signals too. I really want those. Those and these would go well together. I think these head lights are a waste if you still are using fog lights as DRL. Gotta update the whole look.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:33 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jem7v
Depo should make the LED DRL/turn signals too. I really want those. Those and these would go well together. I think these head lights are a waste if you still are using fog lights as DRL. Gotta update the whole look.
Not sure I follow. Fog lights serve a different purpose than DRL.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:51 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909
Not sure I follow. Fog lights serve a different purpose than DRL.
In most parts of the US, fog lights aren't needed. None of the new 911's have them anyways. None of the 997 with the exception of the turbo had them as well. It is clear Porsche put them to differentiate the look, not so much for functionality, otherwise they would put it on all of them. Which IMO, was a mistake to use fogs in that way.

So if one were to upgrade to the 991 head lights, I would also upgrade the DRL fogs with the DRL turn signals. That way together they will look good, just like on a 991 turbo.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:11 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

In most parts of the US, fog lights aren't needed. None of the new 911's have them anyways. None of the 997 with the exception of the turbo had them as well. It is clear Porsche put them to differentiate the look, not so much for functionality, otherwise they would put it on all of them. Which IMO, was a mistake to use fogs in that way.

So if one were to upgrade to the 991 head lights, I would also upgrade the DRL fogs with the DRL turn signals. That way together they will look good, just like on a 991 turbo.
Again you make no sense. The 997.1 turbo does not have DRL fog lights, they are just "fog lights". Do you even know what "DRL" means LOL?
Old 05-23-2015, 05:40 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aa909
Again you make no sense. The 997.1 turbo does not have DRL fog lights, they are just "fog lights". Do you even know what "DRL" means LOL?
hmmmm............maybe the .1 is different. On the .2 if you select DRL on, the fog lights will turn on and stay lit, and act as DRL.

Not really going to argue this for the sake of arguing. All I can tell you is if they are the same go look at your owners manual. Don't be so quick to attack. Educate yourself first.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:07 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

997/1 fog lights are just that , fog lights.
997/2 fog lights are replaced by DRL's, they no longer serve as 'fog lights'.
The position is the same, the function and lens are totally different.
Hope this helps.

Agree with jem7v, the choice of DRL's in the original foglight position on the /2 was a poor choice from Porsche , they should have used the blinker assembly to achieve that, would have been so much nicer !

Unfortunately Depo has not made the blinker assembly into a combo DRL/blinker. Only the problematic Chinese unit is available as far as I know.

But these new headlights from Depo will be of OEM quality I believe. I have had the Depo taillights for years and they have worked flawlessly so far.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:15 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

hmmmm............maybe the .1 is different. On the .2 if you select DRL on, the fog lights will turn on and stay lit, and act as DRL.

Not really going to argue this for the sake of arguing. All I can tell you is if they are the same go look at your owners manual. Don't be so quick to attack. Educate yourself first.
dude you're a total know it all. Maybe spend 1 minute googling before posting "absolutes". and yes for the third time, the 997.1 "is different" and doesn't have DRL fog lights.

Back on topic, I'd love be to see these in person. If they are truly oem or close to oem quality then I think they're a huge upgrade aesthetically vs stock 997.1 headlights.

Look forward to reading more reviews from folks who install these. Could just push me over the hump
Old 05-23-2015, 09:07 PM
jem7v
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
997/1 fog lights are just that , fog lights.
997/2 fog lights are replaced by DRL's, they no longer serve as 'fog lights'.
The position is the same, the function and lens are totally different.
Hope this helps.

Agree with jem7v, the choice of DRL's in the original foglight position on the /2 was a poor choice from Porsche , they should have used the blinker assembly to achieve that, would have been so much nicer !

Unfortunately Depo has not made the blinker assembly into a combo DRL/blinker. Only the problematic Chinese unit is available as far as I know.

But these new headlights from Depo will be of OEM quality I believe. I have had the Depo taillights for years and they have worked flawlessly so far.

If these are depo maybe even I would get them. Though it would be such a waste to lose the current bixenon head lights. I would definitely need to upgrade to the chinese blinker ones to complete the look.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:26 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,227 Likes on 773 Posts

I see the appeal of these new aftermarket lights, but I'm not planning to buy them. I'm happy with the look and the performance of my OE lights. That being said, if my OE lights became pitted or oxidized to the point of needing to be replaced, then I might consider the aftermarket lights.

I'm more interested in lighting performance than I am in achieving a certain look. The LED DRL look is certainly popular and I can see some potential benefits, but it certainly doesn't offer the exclusivity that it did five years ago. Heck, Jeeps, Dodges, Kias, and Hyundais have LED DRLs now.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:24 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

The DRL ring is of little interest to me, don't even know if I will hook them up.
For me the big appeal lies in the filling up of all the empty space inside the circle. The double lens makes the overall design so much better.

The /2 adaptives do the same and also look much better than the lonely single lens we have to deal with.
If fully functioning on the /1 the adaptives would have been on my car a long time ago.

Quick Reply: LED DRL headlights on ebay