Sponsored by:

997.2 Intercoolers worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:44 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Yogi911
I am going to be doing the EXACT same thing in the next 9 months i have a feeling. Here are the things on my list.

First i plan on doing the GT2 master slave so you might want to look at that. Most say the engine has to come out.

Also like you...
Clutch upgrade w/DMFW
Plugs/coils
Coolant fix
Exhaust install

Other things i have looked into:
-The metal coolant pipes from evoms. Not needed to pin the pipes but seem like a good preventative measure. I need to research these more.

-Intercooler but like you dont want to spend more than the 997.2

-Upgrade recirculation valves. Really only if mine look corroded.

Now i have to add fuel filter, belt, and water pump.

I think it is going to be a $10k ordeal unfortunately. I guess all that research i did before i bought the car on "maintenance" was wrong. It is not the labor per-say, it seems to be the parts that are overpriced (in this case exhaust, clutch, intercoolers).
I'm buying all of my parts elsewhere to bring in for the work. I use Sonnen for OEM who usually has the best online price I've found. For aftermarket, stick with someone who will stick by you! (That's why I'm a UMW loyalist, but there are other good shops obviously)
Old 11-28-2014, 02:22 AM
xbox_fan
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a stock turbo tt the 997.2 IC's are the best IC mod, my iat's are way lower even in higher ambient temps.

I wouldnt worry about epoxy or anything, they are designed by Porsche and for the 997.2's which runs higher boost than the .1

And its a very simple diy job!
Old 11-29-2014, 06:21 PM
jazz997tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This and the protuning freaks Cobb protune are the best things I have done on this car thus far.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
997tt's are starting to see issues where the camshaft turns in the variocam housing, which won't allow the hydraulic action of the variocam. The oil passages get out of alignment, and the cam action stops and trips a CEL. You either have to replace the cam or pin the existing ones.

Thank goodness I have a Fidelity Warranty!
Is every 997tt prone to this? Is this another ticking time bomb like the coolant ends popping out of the block?

Also does this cause damage to the engine or camshaft immediately or does it just limit the variocam function from working properly?
Old 12-01-2014, 05:49 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turboslut
Is every 997tt prone to this? Is this another ticking time bomb like the coolant ends popping out of the block?

Also does this cause damage to the engine or camshaft immediately or does it just limit the variocam function from working properly?
It causes the variocam not to work, as it is fed by oil pressure ultimately that can't build up with the holes out of alignment.

In our tiny Porsche market in Cincinnati, my dealer has seen 4 in 997tt's. Is it common? No. Is it unheard of? Not at all.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:47 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xbox_fan
I wouldnt worry about epoxy or anything, they are designed by Porsche and for the 997.2's which runs higher boost than the .1
The 997.2 actually runs less boost than the 997.1 turbo's. The 997.2's only use 12psi under normal operation and 15psi with overboost (stock). 997.1's run 15/18 psi (stock).
Old 12-02-2014, 05:43 PM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Scott, if you are not tracking the car but enjoy it in the Mountain twisties, in my humble opinion, your money would be better spent on an upgraded suspension. Bilstein or Ohlins Coilovers would greatly enhance high speed driving in twisty roads. This mod adds safety as well as you will be lower and more "glued" to the road. Intercoolers are great if you are in a dragstrip which doesn't seem your cup of tea. Either way good luck with the car!
Old 12-02-2014, 09:11 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpiffaretti
Scott, if you are not tracking the car but enjoy it in the Mountain twisties, in my humble opinion, your money would be better spent on an upgraded suspension. Bilstein or Ohlins Coilovers would greatly enhance high speed driving in twisty roads. This mod adds safety as well as you will be lower and more "glued" to the road. Intercoolers are great if you are in a dragstrip which doesn't seem your cup of tea. Either way good luck with the car!
Already got that covered with springs, sways, beefier wheels/tires and a DSC

Quick Reply: 997.2 Intercoolers worth it?