Few questions for 997 Turbo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 10:46 AM
Sole_
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Few questions for 997 Turbo Owners

Hey guys,

I just want to make an intro. I've been lurking the forums now for maybe about 6 months? I have always been in the car scene and I recently sold my 2000 Audi S4 (Full K04 + Supporting mods). I love the car and absolutely loved the 2.7 Bi Turbo.

Anyways, I have been thinking of getting a 997T 2007-2009. The couple of questions and concern I have are as follows:

1. How long do these Turbo's last? - I couldn't find a thread really of them blowing oil seals or what not like B5 S4's do.

2. Is there a tool like Vag-Com that can be bought for owners to diagnose/scan their own vehicles thoroughly?- I'm not sure if you guy's might know what a Vag-Com is but it's for Audi's and Volkswagen and it pretty much scan all the module and you can even change coding with it.

3. How awesome is it to hit boost in your 997 ?

I'm not really worried about maintenance or things breaking because I already work at an Audi dealership and also I'm mechanically inclined and I like challenges. I'm sure dropping a motor on Porsche is alot more simple than pulliing a motor and transmission on an S4.

Thanks guys for reading the thread, looking forward to reading your replies!

P.S. Here's a picture of my B5 S4 before I sold it. I miss it alot but I'm sure a 997T can fill that void

Detail7 by Bautista26, on Flickr
Old 11-24-2014, 01:38 PM
Turboslut
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think this answers your question #2.

http://www.durametric.com/buyus.aspx

The 911 turbo is well mannered. I am not sure how aggressive your Audi was setup. It isn't a kick to the teeth kind of drive.

It feels like you aren't doing much, but next thing you know you are over 100mph and needing to slow down.

People do tune and unleash the beast, but I have yet to experience that on my own car.

Last edited by Turboslut; 11-24-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

The '09 is the last of the GT1-based gene pool engine block.

The '09 moved from the older PCM 2.1 to the newer PCM 3.0 which provides (if ordered correctly) built in bluetooth, sat radio, iPod integration. PCM 2.1 is fine too - and we can offer up a solution or two for adding features later if needed.

Most folks swear by the turbo because of the historic block that the engine is based on, rather than the newer block intro'd after the '09 turbo. But not too many stories out there of these things going bonkers as long as you maintain them and drive them. As with any Porsche, things can go wrong, and those things can be costly, but the turbo seems to be as bullet proof as anything.

And yes, hitting the go pedal while rowing the gears and hitting boost is a massive adrenaline rush regardless of how often you do it.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-24-2014, 09:18 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

tires, oil, brakes, gas and speeding tickets
Old 11-25-2014, 08:52 AM
xbox_fan
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sole_
Hey guys,

I just want to make an intro. I've been lurking the forums now for maybe about 6 months? I have always been in the car scene and I recently sold my 2000 Audi S4 (Full K04 + Supporting mods). I love the car and absolutely loved the 2.7 Bi Turbo.

Anyways, I have been thinking of getting a 997T 2007-2009. The couple of questions and concern I have are as follows:

1. How long do these Turbo's last? - I couldn't find a thread really of them blowing oil seals or what not like B5 S4's do.

2. Is there a tool like Vag-Com that can be bought for owners to diagnose/scan their own vehicles thoroughly?- I'm not sure if you guy's might know what a Vag-Com is but it's for Audi's and Volkswagen and it pretty much scan all the module and you can even change coding with it.

3. How awesome is it to hit boost in your 997 ?

I'm not really worried about maintenance or things breaking because I already work at an Audi dealership and also I'm mechanically inclined and I like challenges. I'm sure dropping a motor on Porsche is alot more simple than pulliing a motor and transmission on an S4.

Thanks guys for reading the thread, looking forward to reading your replies!

P.S. Here's a picture of my B5 S4 before I sold it. I miss it alot but I'm sure a 997T can fill that void

Detail7 by Bautista26, on Flickr
As mentioned the 09 mezger with pcm3 is the one to get, love the tt hate my pcm2.1

I had a bunch of minor issues during my first years of ownership (07tt) get warranty, if you can drop the engine yourself then maybe not so important.

The engine is sollid, I did loose one turbo, but in retrospect it was prob bad already when I got the car (smoke on startup, gone now after new turbo mounted).
Old 11-25-2014, 10:05 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,241 Likes on 778 Posts

PCM 2.1 can be upgraded as Eric mentioned. Mine has bluetooth phone connectivity, streaming bluetooth audio for iTunes, Pandora, Spotify, etc. It lacks a few of the features offered by 3.0, but it's still very workable.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Sole_
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by xbox_fan
As mentioned the 09 mezger with pcm3 is the one to get, love the tt hate my pcm2.1

I had a bunch of minor issues during my first years of ownership (07tt) get warranty, if you can drop the engine yourself then maybe not so important.

The engine is sollid, I did loose one turbo, but in retrospect it was prob bad already when I got the car (smoke on startup, gone now after new turbo mounted).
When is the latest you can get CPO? I'm guessing I probably won't be able to get one since I plan on buying one after my Europe Trip next year. If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost you to replace the turbo w/ labour? Also what exactly does PCM stand for? Is it for media?

Originally Posted by Dennis C
PCM 2.1 can be upgraded as Eric mentioned. Mine has bluetooth phone connectivity, streaming bluetooth audio for iTunes, Pandora, Spotify, etc. It lacks a few of the features offered by 3.0, but it's still very workable.
From what I'm reading using common sense PCM is for media purposes? I only really need music. I don't talk much on the phone while driving anyways, I like to focus on driving.

You guys have been awesome responding to my thread. I have one more question what has been the biggest/major failure's you have encountered on your Turbo's?
Old 11-26-2014, 12:06 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

Congrats! I came from a 2000 B5 S4 as well - still have it but I think it is dead at this point. 195K miles on the original turbos and engine, and only 1 clutch though...

I can tell you that even with an ECU flash or other light mods on the S4, the 997TT is in a different league. The torque is almost double, plus it weighs a bit less!

Re. your #2, yes there is something called Durametric which many of us have. VAG-COM is not available AFAIK for Porsche despite that they're part of VAG (VW-Audi) now.

Quick Reply: Few questions for 997 Turbo Owners