Sponsored by:

Every 911 to go turbo in 2015

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:24 PM
JohnCK2014
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hs43
Skip out the 997.1 in favour of 997.2 because of IMS issues? Are we still talking about turbos? Never heard of this issue being common in a Mezger engine, only the Carreras
They are not an issue in the turbos. And the 996 and early 997 turbos are probably the best deal in cars today. I bought a n/a because I just like the one I found and could afford it and there are advantages to a n/a engine.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:26 PM
JohnCK2014
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boeing 717

Guess Im a Poser.

Yea those Purist/OLD long hood 911S's sure are irrelevant now.
People used to modify their long hoods make the long hoods look like the more "modern" short hoods back in the day. Yeah, amazing how things go in and out of fashion. Try and buy a six cylinder 914 sometime. And those were called VWs when they came out.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:29 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnCK2014
Try and buy a six cylinder 914 sometime. And those were called VWs when they came out.
You just said....."Every year they get older and less relevant"

So if 6 cylinder 914's are so expensive now and they are OLD, how are they less relevant??
Old 10-27-2014, 07:33 PM
JohnCK2014
Instructor

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
You just said....."Every year they get older and less relevant"

So if 6 cylinder 914's are so expensive now and they are OLD, how are they less relevant??
Because I was talking about the purists not the cars. The cars get more relevant. What gets less relevant are the people who think going to water cooled engines was the end of the world.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

I think when aa909 used the word "purist" he was referring to the cars not people.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:56 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 93ls1rx7
What are you talking about? The dollar is currently within a penny or 3 of the best it has been versus the euro since before the 997.1 generation of vehicles were produced. Were arent in the 2002 timeframe where the dollar outpaced the euro but it is as strong now as it has been since the debut of the 997 variant.

You cant use that excuse any more. I have a feeling you post in these particular discussions to make yourself feel better about buying the "newer" car and that is ok. If I took money out of the equation I would own the newest available too but I am not a purest nor do I have the bank account to cover a 200K+ car.
Mike I'm not using anything as an excuse, more-so just trying to exercise a little logic on the pricing. I would agree the usd is currently trading much where it was a year back, but it has seen a lot of up/down movement since the GFC. As an importer I generally base pricing on low points rather than best case currency scenarios and I'm sure Porsche is similar there. It is only when there is strong confidence of stability in a particular currency that pricing is shifted in line with that currency. I can say there have been times we have had to sell stock at less than replacement costs and no one likes that. I recall when the 991 was released for example there was market uncertainty IRRC.

Other thing is the newer cars are generally a bit more $ than the outgoing model mainly because of the various improvements made to performance and addition of standard equip. And, your feeling is wrong about me. I could also say the same about yourself and others why you all post the way you do about the newer car but tbh why bother? It is entertaining. But as an FYI as I am obviously now worrying you, I post here purely to join in discussion on the topic, (although the topic can often shift along the way lol as we often see). And, also having owned 997's for the past 9 years prior to the 991 I feel qualified in not only posting on the 997 sect but also in making certain observations of my own between old and new given I have spent so much time in them. Sorry if it grates. Was not my intention. I most certainly don't require reassurance from anyone here on RL to tell me that the new car is better/worse, or worth/not worth the extra $. I know it is better each and every-time i turn the key and arrive at my destination that the car is vastly improved. Mindbogglingly improved tbh. It was a similar feeling I had when I moved from 993 to 996 after 5 years and then 996 to 997 after near 5 years except not quite so profound as the improvements made in 991. It is actually this level of improvement so many here have been spending countless hours and $ trying to dial into their existing cars to achieve. The 991 has accomplished so much in these areas yet remains incredibly satisfying to drive. Amazing! So I am confident the later cars coming out of Porsche will be superior again. How do they keep doing it??

Mike what really makes me smile though is when I read about guys with their 993', 996's and 997's saying how much more soul their older cars have over the newer cars only to later read these same guys posting about fitting up suspension parts, (to get rid of the "soulful nose bobbing" and, to try and get the car to handle better (dial out the bugs etc), flash tunes, upgrade IC's and turbos to try to make them go as faster. It is ongoing every time I log on to read over the threads. Very entertaining. Yet oddly when Porsche removes the "nose-bob", makes the car handle and ride better, accelerate faster and so on they get accused of removing "soul" LOL! I guess I will never quite figure that one out.

Originally Posted by JohnCK2014
You know what another name for purist is? Old. Every year they get older and less relevant.Moreover, the headlight objection is a poser objection. No one says they are ugly on Boxters. They just get called ugly on 911s because God forbid anyone coming the other way think I am driving a Boxter.
So so true.
Old 10-29-2014, 12:01 AM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

Speed, I was able to really check out the new 991 TT a few days ago at the local dealership. Very very nice looking car. Can't wait to own one someday. Until then, I'm very happy with my .1. I'm just glad to see Porsche able to still make improvements to these cars. No doubt your enjoying the new TT. Enjoy!
Old 10-29-2014, 01:29 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep on enjoying her Runner. .1tt is an awesome car indeed! I thoroughly enjoyed mine while I owned it....much like all the 911's before it. They are all great cars. After 4500 kms now I can say this latest version is just pure utter adrenalin. I'm not sure where Porsche can go from here but i'm sure they will pull a rabbit out of a hat somewhere as they tend to do, Dammit. You really have to be careful if a salesman throws you a set of keys to one of these. Ive always been conscious of that, was even able to bravely walk away after the first drive. Took me a month before I caved in to the offer of a second drive and after that I was a complete goner. It was game over. The rest became a painful exerci$e in getting one asap.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:50 AM
mpiffaretti
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Nostalgia, Reminiscing, Soul, Good ol days, racing pedigree, Purists, those are all words that synonyms with the brand Porsche, and Porsche owes a lot of that recognition to the 911. What is it that defines a car better than another? is it Handling? HP? Speed? Looks?, we all have a different yardstick to measure "better" depending on the satisfaction level we get out of the vehicle. The 911 is a car that has the engine in the wrong place, the start key in the left, round headlights, a flat six, and a design that is instantly recognizable from any of their years built. The point is, the 911 was, and is built around nostalgia, soul, the good ol days , this is the reason they have kept improving upon a less than optimal design, we all know a mid-engine car will always handle better, yet, we all bought this one.. There are a lot of "better" cars than the 911 turbo, handling wise, speed, power, etc. To me personally, better means getting a car that is a handful, a car that I am so engaged into my driving that I don't care and can't answer a phone call while driving.
Lets not forget that in the 1970's, Porsche had deemed the 911 obsolete, and was almost axed if it wasn't for the American dealer to keep it going. Because of purists, the people that believed in the 911 and were still willing to buy it despite "better" designs from the factory, we can still enjoy this timeless car today. Therefore, lets give some respect to them purists, because of them, we drive what we drive. Cheers!

Quick Reply: Every 911 to go turbo in 2015