Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Decisions, Decisions !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 12:09 PM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Decisions, Decisions !!

A little while back I had an issue with a huge stone chip on the bonnet, and as a temporary measure had a Carbon Fibre wrap put on the bonnet before thinking about re sprays etc.
Initially I didn't think I would like the CF bonnet, but over the past weeks it has grown on me, to the point where I am considering a real Carbon fibre bonnet.

I can either buy ready made, or do a skin of CF on the original, or a replacement bonnet (may be the best option as cheaper, and keeps the option of returning to original). I am not concerned with weight saving, this is a purely aesthetic decision.

Now the hard part - the CF wrap is obviously a matt finish, and that is what I have got used to looking at, but to me the beauty of CF lies in the depth and shine of a perfect gloss finish that shows off the fabric, and fits with the shine of the rest of the paintwork. I have also heard that matt CF is more difficult to care for and keep it looking good.

I would appreciate thoughts from anyone here, in particular those with experience of CF bonnets - Matt or gloss? - stick with the original
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2014, 12:40 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is 100% a personal decision so there are no "right" answers here. But IMO you need to find a top notch body shop and respray your bonnet back to the original gorgeous dark blue paint. That color is stunning and the black matte CF finish just takes away from it. I personally think the matte CF bonnets work real well on grey, silver or black cars where the monochrome motif works well with the color scheme… but not in this case, let that blue shine through!!

GL
Art
Old 07-22-2014, 01:32 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

The original color looks the best to these eyes.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

...Real CF is somewhat shiny and looks really nice! A few months ago I picked up a GT2RS (thanks to one of the guys in the GT2/GT3 forum). But it is light weight and it picks up chips too. My car was used and had very few miles, but still a small chip...and...You can't "touch up" CF...just sayin...looks great, but...

Your car would look perfect to me all blue...that is a nice blue...IMHO: repair the hood back to OEM blue.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:09 PM
9LVN_TT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aa909
This is 100% a personal decision so there are no "right" answers here. But IMO you need to find a top notch body shop and respray your bonnet back to the original gorgeous dark blue paint. That color is stunning and the black matte CF finish just takes away from it. I personally think the matte CF bonnets work real well on grey, silver or black cars where the monochrome motif works well with the color scheme… but not in this case, let that blue shine through!! GL Art
^

Agree 100%!
Old 07-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Back to Blue dude!!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:11 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe a CF hood if your trying to reduce weight......but I've always though the different color hood looks odd...
that is a stunning blue too, and the front end looks nice with the slats in the intakes..

my vote is blue
Old 07-22-2014, 10:31 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rotesAuto
maybe a CF hood if your trying to reduce weight......but I've always though the different color hood looks odd...
that is a stunning blue too, and the front end looks nice with the slats in the intakes..

my vote is blue
Very. I think the look is an attempt at being different for the sake of being different rather than actually looking any good. The car looks way better in the one color for sure.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 AM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the opinions guys
Car is booked in for a re spray of the hood. :-)
Old 07-24-2014, 12:13 AM
Psup4s
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

I've always thought that respraying the hood is not a good option as it looks like the car was in an accident if you ever decide to sell it

Quick Reply: Decisions, Decisions !!