Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Europipe stage 1 or stage 2?

Old 05-07-2013, 10:20 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Europipe stage 1 or stage 2?

I understand that this is a very subjective question. What one person finds loud, another will find quiet.

I'm the guy who went through 4 exhaust set ups on my 993 till I found the right sound and 3 setups on my M5 till I found a winner.

I have a '08 997 tt. The good news is I'll only do europipe.. either stage 1 or stage 2.

My 997tt is a DD but i work from home so I only drive about 100 miles per week. I live in the woods of CT so neighbors and/or sound ordinances don't apply to me. I tend to like things on the louder side so I'm leaning towards the stage 2.

I called Stef at Europipe today and he was great at explaining to me the differences between the 2 options.

Would love to hear from anyone that has a europipe and their argument for st 1 vs 2.
The following users liked this post:
jayi836 (07-28-2019)
Old 05-07-2013, 11:19 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

I've had 2 EP2's - an 07 and now an 08. The sound is great not obnoxious load but loud. There is some drone at some steady rpm levels but not any worse than the tire noise and the wind noise. Wait til you see the craftsmanship.
jayi836 (07-28-2019)
Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 PM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the EP1 and quite frankly i wouldnt put anything else on my car especially after what ive seen since. This is my second and last exhaust thankfully. I wouldn't consider buying anything else. Listened to the hype first time round and thought i'd save a few pennys by buying something else only to find out i was shafted. You'll read it all the time here and on 6 about owners chasing the dream system, trying to save a few bucks only to find they are still chasing their tails spending money. Many have since found what i have found, EP is the best way to go for this car. It performs better than anything out there and sounds brilliant without droning, The car also sounds like a Porsche and not a tractor or some other brand of cheap car. I've heard a number of systems ( i won't name names as i dont want to offend anyone here) and i can tell you they are absolute crap in comparison....and i mean crap. Even my dealer who has been servicing many modifeid cars with various AM systems has said the EP is the best sounding and best built system they have seen period. They still comment on it. I have heard both EP1 and 2. If you have sensitive ears to drone the EP1 is the better choice imho. EP2 is quoted as having a drone by stef but is nothing to the degree you will get on other systems and finishes under 3000 rpms so you can still cruise in the car. I'm sure he will explain this to you.

Sound wise from the outside i personally couldn't hear a great deal of difference in the exterior volume which was sufficently loud to my ears....i was travelling in another RL members car at the time behind a RL members car with the EP2 at WOT. It sounded very good....and like a Porsche should.....not like some sick tractors that i have heard with other am systems (again won't name names...pm me if you want to hear). However there is supposed to be a difference in volume between EP1 and 2 even though i couldn't pick it. There was another car with an expensive system and its volume was much the same....it had a higher pitched note and sounded very good too. All three cars on that day, one with EP1, one with EP2 and the other all had what sounded to me the same level of volume on the outside of the car. Hope this helps. I see Buying an EP as fastracking the inevitable and if you can get it right first time around with an exhaust you are a lucky man let me tell you. The system in comparison to pretty well evcerything else ive seen is an absolute gift in price too....especially when you look at the quality it represents and how it look like it actually belongs on a Porsche.....not some piece of chintzy shiney crap with joiners all over it and no heat sheilding etc. EP is a bargain alright. Its the best mod i've stuck on my car period.
jayi836 (07-28-2019)
Old 05-08-2013, 01:27 AM
AP328
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an EP1 after having listened to a another poster's car with a newly installed EP1. It sounded so good that I ordered it in a matter of days. I can't say that I have listened to an EP2, but I like the fact that there is absolutely NO drone with EP1, at any speed or engine RPM.

The cold start is great and during regular, partial throttle driving it isn't much louder than stock, but is deeper which means the exhaust finally sounds like it might be coming from a high performance sports car rather than a vacuum cleaner. At WOT, the sound is great.

The proverbial "butt dyno" seems to suggest the increase in power that Europipe claims, but as importantly the turbos seemed to spool up and be "on the boil" more quickly.
I can't speak highly enough about the quality of the product, the superb support, of the joy of ownership following installation.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:53 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one of the three cars that Paul (speed21) is describing above, the EP1, my partners car has the Sportech, expensive Swiss jobie, and our mechanic/buddy has the EP2.

I have heard all systems extensively on weekend runs at all speeds. I concur with Pauls opinion but need to add one more issue in the equation. I am running my EP1 with dual tips, which Stef has said makes the exhaust louder. Our mechanic swears that if I were to remove the dual tips for the factory ones, the exhaust would quiet down a lot. He has an EP2 with the factory tips.

So, in your decision making process, factor in tips. If you are going for dual tips (fabspeed style is the one I have - sold my maxspeed but no longer available) then I suggest you go with EP1, for less resonance at cruising 2000-2300 rpm. If you are going with oval factory tips I would consider EP2.

Good luck, its a wise choice. Clearly the best mod I have. The spool of the turbos at low rpms is just intoxicating.
jayi836 (07-28-2019)
Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dianic
I have one of the three cars that Paul (speed21) is describing above, the EP1, my partners car has the Sportech, expensive Swiss jobie, and our mechanic/buddy has the EP2.

I have heard all systems extensively on weekend runs at all speeds. I concur with Pauls opinion but need to add one more issue in the equation. I am running my EP1 with dual tips, which Stef has said makes the exhaust louder. Our mechanic swears that if I were to remove the dual tips for the factory ones, the exhaust would quiet down a lot. He has an EP2 with the factory tips.

So, in your decision making process, factor in tips. If you are going for dual tips (fabspeed style is the one I have - sold my maxspeed but no longer available) then I suggest you go with EP1, for less resonance at cruising 2000-2300 rpm. If you are going with oval factory tips I would consider EP2.

Good luck, its a wise choice. Clearly the best mod I have. The spool of the turbos at low rpms is just intoxicating.
Also, most aftermarket dual tips will not fit the EP2 because of the larger diameter of the exhaust pipe...you'll have to find someone to modify for you. Stef does the mods on the OEM oval tip for the EP2.
jayi836 (07-28-2019)
Old 05-08-2013, 11:34 PM
speed21
Banned

Nick i swear my car is a bit louder than yours from the inside listening and i use the TA tips so not convinced that stock will make it quiter, unless the manual is inherently louder than the tip....or our gas is better or something.....who knows what it is...

I recall Stef saying at one point the FS tips make a farting sound but i couldn't hear any farting sound on your car.... Maybe the FS tips mute the note a bit by stifling the air flow a touch? Not that the car doesn't sound good from the outside and inside. Hard to beat an EP....although the speedtech did sound good if i must say so myself.

Trending Topics

Old 05-08-2013, 11:44 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paul, Nick

I've got the FS tips but never ran the EP1 with stock tips so I can't comment on whether the sound is enhanced or changed in anyway with dual tips

but I immediately noticed a difference when I installed the Techart style rear diffuser. The larger diffuser sits down low below the exhaust (as you will note the with the stock diffuser you can see the mufflers peaking out below the rear bumper) and deflects additional sound back towards the front of the car. I recall noticing the increased sound on my first drive after installing the diffuser. Mind you it doesn't make the exhaust louder but since more sound waves are bouncing back towards the front of the car, it sounds louder for the driver when cruising around town with the windows down
Old 04-28-2014, 09:54 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

hi all.. its been about a year since I started this post and I'm finally getting around to ordering a stage 2 EP from Stef.

Would love to hear thoughts from anyone else with EP2?

thx in advance
jayi836 (07-28-2019)
Old 04-30-2014, 10:38 AM
magicjack
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aminewyork
hi all.. its been about a year since I started this post and I'm finally getting around to ordering a stage 2 EP from Stef.

Would love to hear thoughts from anyone else with EP2?

thx in advance
I recently installed EP 1 and its a nice improvement over stock.

If I'd do it again, I'd go with an EP 2 for the bigger tips, which I think fit the rear bumper better visually (I'm in a 997.1) and I actually want the exhaust to be louder than it presently is.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:32 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by magicjack
I recently installed EP 1 and its a nice improvement over stock.

If I'd do it again, I'd go with an EP 2 for the bigger tips, which I think fit the rear bumper better visually (I'm in a 997.1) and I actually want the exhaust to be louder than it presently is.
The 997.1 TT EP2 "bigger tips" are only bigger where they connect to the exhaust system - they are the same tips as OEM just modified by Stef on the backside to fit the larger diameter outlet pipe...so they don't fit the rear bumper any differently. Definitely a bigger sound though.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:33 PM
aminewyork
Rennlist Member

Pulled the trigger on EP2 with Stef today. Should have it installed by next Weds.

Will report back once I break it in.

I'm quite sure I'll be very happy.
jayi836 (07-28-2019)
Old 04-30-2014, 05:55 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

I just installed EP1...awesome sound!
jayi836 (07-28-2019)
Old 04-30-2014, 11:27 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Nick i swear my car is a bit louder than yours from the inside listening and i use the TA tips so not convinced that stock will make it quiter, unless the manual is inherently louder than the tip....or our gas is better or something.....who knows what it is...

I recall Stef saying at one point the FS tips make a farting sound but i couldn't hear any farting sound on your car.... Maybe the FS tips mute the note a bit by stifling the air flow a touch? Not that the car doesn't sound good from the outside and inside. Hard to beat an EP....although the speedtech did sound good if i must say so myself.
OT: sorry OP...
Speed...maybe you can help here with one of your countrymen? Staintune makes incredible motorcycle exhaust (my favorite) and I have several sets...talk polite Australian to them about doing a pcar exhaust?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:35 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by Igooz
OT: sorry OP...
Speed...maybe you can help here with one of your countrymen? Staintune makes incredible motorcycle exhaust (my favorite) and I have several sets...talk polite Australian to them about doing a pcar exhaust?
Never heard of them to be honest... but i will check it out. Still say that EP is a very hard act to follow. Never seen anything made THAT good....and it worked too as an added bonus. Truly flawless in every way. Now that doesn't happen often where you get all things working at the same time. Very rare....especially in AM stuff.

So OP EP1 or EP2, you are on a dead set winner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Europipe stage 1 or stage 2?