Sponsored by:

Need advice on mileage and valuation

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 PM
nuclearfishin
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need advice on mileage and valuation

I found a nice 2007 turbo that is optioned just the way I'd like it, nice color, interior, etc., however it has 50,000 miles. The car still has two additional years and up to 100k mileage bumper to bumper. This is a little higher mileage than I wanted, however I plan to keep the car a long time so I'm not as concerned with resale on a high mileage car. Are there any other issues I should be concerned with related to miles? I love the car, it just seems like a bit on the high mileage side. Any advice? BTW, the car has PCCB's so that is another scare with the higher mileage and whether I'l have to repalce them anytime soon.

THanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are worried about re sale and plan on keeping the car for a long time the turbo (or almost any other car) is a bad investment. I have 63 k on miine and it's solid as a rock. No squeaks or rattles.. nothing.. I wouldn't worry about the PCCB's unless you plan on tracking the car.. I didn't even change the pads on my fronts until around 55k miles... I still have the orignal rears and there is still 4mm pad left. And I drive my car! Just make sure there are no chips on the rotors and you could have them measured for wear.

50k is nothing on these cars if they have been treated properly and serviced properly. But if you are worried about mileage then look for another car.. Depreciation is part of the game.. Just drive the car and enjoy it.. When you tire of it get another one. But dont expect it to hold it's value. The CPO for 2 years is awesome.

Also you didn't mention what you are paying for this car. That has a lot to do with the overall ownership cost.

I bought mine for 77k 3 years ago (which at that time was a real steal) with 41k miles. It has every option and stickered for 148k.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:51 AM
nsurg
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
I found a nice 2007 turbo that is optioned just the way I'd like it, nice color, interior, etc., however it has 50,000 miles. The car still has two additional years and up to 100k mileage bumper to bumper. This is a little higher mileage than I wanted, however I plan to keep the car a long time so I'm not as concerned with resale on a high mileage car. Are there any other issues I should be concerned with related to miles? I love the car, it just seems like a bit on the high mileage side. Any advice? BTW, the car has PCCB's so that is another scare with the higher mileage and whether I'l have to repalce them anytime soon.

THanks!
I have been watching prices for the past several months. I think the base car you describe might top out around $67-70, plus perhaps $2k for the warranty value. I'm assuming a stick, but for tiptronic I'd drop $3k. I'm also assuming a coupe, and chrono package. I wouldn't worry too much about the miles, but you might scrutinize what exactly was done for its service, and consider tire and brake pad/rotor status to further adjust. Obviously the region and color combo and condition becomes very relevant. I don't give a hoot about pccbs and actually preferred to avoid them, and I agree with your concern--you could nearly total the car if you need to replace those in a couple years, unless you go back to traditional brakes. While some seem to find pccb a desirable option, I think it's a negative at this mileage and probably changes the price/value not at all currently.
In the end, it's pretty hard to guess a fair price based on your description. I do think the cargurus web site to find used cars did a pretty fair job (search for used 911 turbos) indicating if a car was over/underpriced during the search function, check that page out.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:31 AM
brannonspillars
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 2009 turbo new in April 09. I averaged 20,000 miles a year for the first 2.5 years, then bought a 2011 Range Rover and also enjoy driving it. Regarding the turbo, it has not been maintenance free. There were a few minor gremlins with the clutch accumulator, a bad factory battery, and a weird wiring problem (seat ventilation wiring had bare metal of the wire exposed under the driver's seat, causing an intermittent short which would burn the fuse for the A/C, which was difficult for the dealer to diagnose but easy to fix), but other than that has been bulletproof reliable and dependable. The dealership service manager says the turbo and all other Porsche are generally "toyota reliable" but with supercar performance. What an awesome combination of traits! Resale? If you don't plan to sell for many more years/miles, who cares about resale? It's a depreciating asset, not an investment. Drive/enjoy...

Quick Reply: Need advice on mileage and valuation