Sponsored by:

DIY: Changing your filters on Fabspeed Intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation DIY: Changing your filters on Fabspeed Intake

Noticed the filters were a little dirty, and didn't really want to waste time waiting for filters so i measured the Fabspeed ones: 3" inlet, 6" base, 4" top, and 5" long..

found that K&N makes the exact size called: RU-3580 (overnight on amazon.com they arrived today)

install went easy:

Dirty Fabspeeds

tool kit

all done!

upon grabbing the drivers side i noticed the piping was "loose" (it's usually bonded to the mount).. vibrations must have snapped it loose... debated between epoxy and some gorilla tape... the gorilla tape idea won (sanded off any loose pieces, sanded inside and out... cleaned with denatured alcohol... made sure no loose pieces (dont wanna suck em in!).. and then put a double layer of Gorilla tape on the hole (from fabspeed, no clue why but they saw into the 3" pipe and then epoxy on the mount... so when the mount breaks loose you are left with a 2.5" long hole in your intake pipe!)

odd design to "cut into" the CF pipe... honestly the structural integrity of this pipe is so weak i would prefer some mandrel bent aluminum pipe! (and i just very well might have some made up!)

Noticing the broken off mount :-/

after sanding/cleaning off all loose parts i applied a double layer of Gorilla Tape... also put a piece where the half tubes meet where it is also cracking (they just glue 2 half pieces together :-/

looks good and ready to go in...rough edge inside but is better than a gaping hole!

***I would reccomend if anyone has said intake, to check their pipes to make sure they didn't crack the mount off..***

***if anyone has said intake and wants a spare pair of filters, you can have my dirty (and clean em) for free***

-riley
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

FWIW, for people with other intakes.. etc.

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm

amazing selection of filters they make, just astonishing how many variations they find it necessary to make and stock.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:35 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
FWIW, for people with other intakes.. etc.

http://www.knfilters.com/universal/universal.htm

amazing selection of filters they make, just astonishing how many variations they find it necessary to make and stock.
Are you going to install the exhaust tomorrow?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:14 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
Are you going to install the exhaust tomorrow?
as soon as it arrives, i tipped my UPS man today to come early tomorrow.. we'll see how nice he is... shouldn't take more than 45-hour to get em on and everything tightened up as long as everything fits properly..
Old 05-01-2013, 02:20 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

as soon as it arrives, i tipped my UPS man today to come early tomorrow.. we'll see how nice he is... shouldn't take more than 45-hour to get em on and everything tightened up as long as everything fits properly..
lol bro you are funny.... how many times did you track the package already?
Old 05-01-2013, 02:24 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Leo997TT
lol bro you are funny.... how many times did you track the package already?
i know inside FL is next day, not much tracking action.. ups delivered the filters today so i told him to come early tomorrow... $20 says he wont give a ****. .lol
Old 05-01-2013, 02:48 AM
Leo997TT
Banned

i know inside FL is next day, not much tracking action.. ups delivered the filters today so i told him to come early tomorrow... $20 says he wont give a ****. .lol
True definition of blackmail right there... lol

I hope you be happy bro
Old 05-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Chris@Fabspeed
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cone filters we supply are specially made for us by AFE, which have their own cleaning kit, just an FYI to anyone who reads this thread.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

What exhaust did you go finally?
I like a lot of FS stuff, not that intake though.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:59 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

All the missing debris, all the carbon fiber that has been displaced has made contact with your turbochargers compressor wheel. 100% chance of FOD damage. This has happened to "many" intake kits over the years. It takes less than a grain of sand to put a hurt on your compressor wheels that turning close to 185K RPM's.. The next time your car is in for service I would remove the plastic inlet piping to your turbochargers to view/inspect the compressor wheels for damage.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:30 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris@Fabspeed
The cone filters we supply are specially made for us by AFE, which have their own cleaning kit, just an FYI to anyone who reads this thread.
in the past i have tried cleaning oiled filters with poor luck, usually they get dirtier/faster after cleaning..

if anyone wants my filters, they can have them free.

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
What exhaust did you go finally?
I like a lot of FS stuff, not that intake though.
fabspeed, version 2

the intake is "ok"... i would much prefer aluminum piping and an aluminum heat shield with gold foil on the backside... no reason at all to use carbon in this area....

i would love just some aluminum piping, hell even plastic is better than carbon.

Originally Posted by Kevin
All the missing debris, all the carbon fiber that has been displaced has made contact with your turbochargers compressor wheel. 100% chance of FOD damage. This has happened to "many" intake kits over the years. It takes less than a grain of sand to put a hurt on your compressor wheels that turning close to 185K RPM's.. The next time your car is in for service I would remove the plastic inlet piping to your turbochargers to view/inspect the compressor wheels for damage.
fabspeed "cuts" the pipe from factory, so there was no misc carbon missing... just a small hole where unfiltered air could get sucked into the intake.. i sanded the inside to make sure no loose fibers, i sanded the outside to make sure the gorilla tape stuck well.

i will however have someone check the compressor wheel the next time i take it for service and take photo's of both sides... i'm sure it is fine as i caught the problem prematurely and fixed it... i was VERY thorough with the pipe when it was out to check for anything that might come loose down the line.

personally i feel that the fabspeed kits should not cut into their tubes... no reason to cut anything as you could just epoxy the mount to the outside of tube w/ ease... better safe than sorry when compressors can be damaged so easily...... easier way to solve this is plastic piping.. i wish K&N just made a cheap plastic intake pipe setup.

Last edited by rijowysock; 05-01-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:30 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

FWIW i contacted a fabricator i have dealt with in past on F/I setups to possibly create some aluminum intake pipes for the TT and a shield that utilizes gold heat wrapping..... i think both will be great for the car, still a "warm air intake"... but no useless carbon... (never a fan of pointless carbon)
Old 05-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Leo997TT
Banned

Just go back to the original air intake... I had it in my car and I felt bad for all the HOT air coming in...
Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Riley, wouldn't you rather go with the stock air box since its a true cold air intake? You can even stock some gold foil tape on it and keep even more heat away. I want to gold foil up my stock GTS intake and I bet you know were to get gold foil tape. I've just never been a fan on the Fabspeed open intakes.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrums
Riley, wouldn't you rather go with the stock air box since its a true cold air intake? You can even stock some gold foil tape on it and keep even more heat away. I want to gold foil up my stock GTS intake and I bet you know were to get gold foil tape. I've just never been a fan on the Fabspeed open intakes.
not sure yet, if i had the original box i would send it to my fab guy to do some tubes and a box.

i do have a guy for gold foil tape, works really well. had it on my exige to prevent heatsoak.

Quick Reply: DIY: Changing your filters on Fabspeed Intake