Sponsored by:

Porsche Concours this Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:27 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Porsche Concours this Saturday

Just wanted to remind folks in the Los Angeles area that the Porsche Concours show is this Saturday at Art center College of Design In Pasadena. Weather is supposed to be good and there should be some great cars.

It starts at 8am and judging is at 11. Campus will be open for tours. Event ends around 3pm...

I'll be rolling in the McLaren. Hope to see some of you there!

Phillip

http://zone8.pca.org/events/2013/04A..._ArtCenter.pdf
Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by phillipj

I'll be rolling in the McLaren.
Show off !
Old 04-26-2013, 01:47 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Show off !

LOL! Actually I'm an alum of this college.. They have a world famous industrial design department. Many of the car designers come from this school. I want to bring the McLaren because the students will go nuts over it. Especially with the Gulf Livery..Not too many McLarens around..

Oh and about the McLaren.. I want one! Can't quite swing the price tage though! Not yet anyway! They are supposed to be coming out with another model in the $150k price range...That should interesting.

Alll the best Denis!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 AM
jaykla
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Philip, it's Jay!
Nice to meet you today and the Macca was bad-***!
I'll definitely try to stop by the store sometime soon.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:49 AM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

So Phillip, now that you have driven the McLaren some more. Are you still happy with your turbo ? I mean, if money was no object would you prefer to own and drive the Mac ?
Do you find your own car to be boring now ?
Never driven the car but it is the ultimate exotic at the moment , both in exclusivity and technology so I wonder what it would be like to own one.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Denis,

I absolutely love the McLaren. It's an amazing car.. I guess the first thing that you feel when you get in and close the gull wing door is "Wow".. The interior is incredibly simple and elegant.. The controls are intuitive and the workmanship is superb.. The Steering wheel was styled after Louis Hamiltons F1 car. Everything about it just feels "right".. And the smell of the leather is heavenly. When you fire it up it has the most awesome exhaust note. Totally different than the Ferrari.. (not that I don't like the sound of a Ferrari!)

I've attached some photos of the interior...

The biggest difference is that the McLaren "feels" like a supercar. It "feels" like it costs $250k.. I really can't say that for the Ferrari. I actally think the wormanship in Ferrari is far from imprressive. Just my opinion but if I were to have my choice of an exotic that I would actually drive frequently the 12c would be the favorite. No question..

The most amazing thing about it compared to the F430 or Italia is how incredbly smooth the ride is when you have the suspension and mapping on "comfort" It's like a Lexus when you have it in that mode. You could easily do a long road trip in this car.. Is it a Ferrari? No... Is it raw like the Ferrari? No. Is it the best of both worlds? Yes..

Obviously not being my car I have not pushed the car to it's limit like I have my car. But ... I did turn the suspension and the mapping to aggressive and went through the gears with the paddle shifter.. Wow...It's so solid and the power band is sooooo smooth. The car makes this wonderful "snort" when you are upshifting. You can hear the turbos and it's unreal....The power seems endless..

So if I had the means to get a McLaren would I ? It's already on my list... I want one so bad I can taste it. You can't compare the Turbo and the 12c. They are completely different cars.

Yesterday I cleaned my turbo and filled it with race gas and went to my favorite twisties. I was rotating the car through corners and driving at the max of my limited ability.. I pulled over and said "this car is awesome!" The TT is the best car for the money hands down. Fit, finish, performance.. I dont know what you can compare it with.

What was really funny was driving the Mac through the city.. People actually stop what they are doing when they see that car.. Especially in the Gulf livery! It take a lot to get people to look twice at a car in LA!
So does my turbo bore me now? Hell no! I love that car and will always have one.

But the McLaren is in a different league. If you have the opportunity to be able to drive one do so.

I will be taking The Scuderia to a big Ferrari show on May 19 here is Pasadena. 140 Ferrari's are supposed to be there.. That should be very cool.. I love my job...I'll be taking the Mac to some events next month as well.. I cant wait to drive that car again...

Last edited by phillipj; 05-02-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

um want to setup a branch in Athens? You provide the inventory... and I will take them out occasionally so they dont get damaged from immobility... you know square tires and all that...
:-)
Nice write up. You forgot the pics. And post some of the outside as well!!!
Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Okay pics are there now
Old 04-30-2013, 11:49 PM
EDEZ TT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wow!

That's the best looking McLaren that I've ever seen! Is it a wrap?
Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 AM
spaceman_spiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks stellar! I was always a fan since the F1 was introduced. My wife took me out to Fogo de Chao the other night and there was a burgandy 12c across the street. Made the turbo look "normal" in comparison. My wife noticed it before me, love that she knows what cars are what!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by EDEZ TT
That's the best looking McLaren that I've ever seen! Is it a wrap?

Yes it's wrapped. The car is originally Orange
Old 05-01-2013, 02:07 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by spaceman_spiff
That looks stellar! I was always a fan since the F1 was introduced. My wife took me out to Fogo de Chao the other night and there was a burgandy 12c across the street. Made the turbo look "normal" in comparison. My wife noticed it before me, love that she knows what cars are what!
Funny you say that.. When I left my house in the McLaren for the car show my wife closed the gull wing door and looked around and said "Wow".. As we drove down the street she said " I like this better than your Porsche.. You should get one of these". Lol!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:12 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Phillip your new gig looks fairly boring you should change your career! Looks like fun man and the -12 looks awesome
Old 05-01-2013, 02:45 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Will those who show up be granted a joyride in the Gulf car???!?!?!?!?!!?!?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:06 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Originally Posted by eurotom
Phillip your new gig looks fairly boring you should change your career! Looks like fun man and the -12 looks awesome
Thanks Tom.. Now I just need to start making some money. But that will come..Until then I will play with all the toys.

Last edited by phillipj; 05-21-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Concours this Saturday