Sponsored by:

Mouse causes coolant leak help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 02:08 PM
John Marciniak
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mouse causes coolant leak help

Gentlemen, Question ? My 2008 Porsche 911 turbo cab has a coolant leak. I have complained to the repair shop For 2 years about a small collant leak I see on the garage floor. They said they could not see a leak.. Over the winter storage on the floor of my garage the coolant leak became more heavy. So I brought the car back to the repair shop. They said the leak must be on top[ of the engine. So they the pulled the engine and found a mouse next under the intake manifold. They told me to call my insurance company to submit a claim. The repairshop said mouse urine is corrosive. The insurance adjuster has not come yet . The repair shop said they are going to remove the intake manifold so the adjuster could see the damage... My question is what kind of damage do you think happened to the engine .. I am on pins and needles wondering what kind of damage they will find ?

Old 05-05-2024, 02:29 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Received 937 Likes on 566 Posts

Check all the wiring.
Old 05-05-2024, 02:38 PM
John Marciniak
AutoX

No, No wiring issues just acollant leak >>> I was wondering what is leaking coolant under the intake manifold because of the mouse urine ?
Old 05-05-2024, 06:22 PM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 121 Posts

Maybe I’m missing something, but I’m not sure how a mouse nest right there on top of the motor like that would cause a coolant leak, or any kind of a leak for that matter. Yes, urine is corrosive but there’s nothing there except the plumbing for the secondary air injector, some wires, and the intake manifold. With the engine out of the car, they haven’t identified any other areas for a potential leak? Nothing around the water pump or coolant hose fittings/bungs?

Last edited by truekraut; 05-05-2024 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:13 PM
John Marciniak
AutoX

Originally Posted by truekraut
Maybe I’m missing something, but I’m not sure how a mouse nest right there on top of the motor like that would cause a cool and leak, or any kind of a leak for that matter. Yes, urine is corrosive but there’s nothing there except the plumbing for the secondary air injector, some wires, and the intake manifold. With the engine out of the car, they haven’t identified any other areas for a potential leak? Nothing around the water pump or coolant hose fittings/bungs?

I brought the car to the repair shop for a coolant leak. All I know is that the repair shop contacted me and told me that there was a mouse nest under the intake manifold .. Also That I should contact my car insurance company because that mouse urine is corrosive. I assumed that this was the cause of my coolant leak. Unless this is a whole another issue. The service advisor did not give me any othe info than the mouse nest , corrosive issue …
Old 05-06-2024, 02:37 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

How much do you trust this shop/service advisor?

When I did my big engine drop/coolant pipe repair a few years ago, I found a nest similar to yours.. in the same place. It didn't have anything to do with the coolant leak.

I'm wondering if the service advisor is using the "corrosive mouse urine" to get you to file an insurance claim that will likely inflate their repair bill by quite a bit..

The only real thing I have heard a mouse doing in there is chewing up wires as mentioned earlier.
Old 05-06-2024, 10:06 AM
John Marciniak
AutoX

I will let you all know what I find out from the insurance adjuster and the repair shop when they-communicate back to me
Old 05-07-2024, 11:39 AM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

Coolant leaves evidence of where it is coming from. I see no pictures of the location of the leak on your garage floor, no pictures of the underside of your engine or anything else that traces where the leak may have originated. There will be stains, drips or pooling coolant leading you back to where it started.

Mice eat wires, not coolant hoses, while anything is possible, this may not yield the results you are looking for: a cause for the leak. You said they pulled the engine, those shots look like the engine is still in the vehicle. Is it really out?

If it appears to be on one side of the engine more than the other, I would start with the turbo coolant lines, specifically the rubber at the top of the steel line. Look for bulging or coolant pooling in that area. There must be some evidence of your coolant leak on that engine, you just need to find it. Their are several other areas of higher probability, most of the directly on the top of the engine.

Ed
Old 05-07-2024, 12:33 PM
John Marciniak
AutoX

The shop just pulled yesterday the intake manifold for the car insurance company adjuster to see the issues the mouse caused….. still waiting for the adjuster to get back to me about what he found
Old 05-11-2024, 03:49 PM
John Marciniak
AutoX

Insurance Company adjusts found $10,337.34 in damage to the cooling system in my car included was pulling and replacing engine back in the ca
i will be also paying another $10,000.00 in suggested replacements of other cooling and clutch replacement while engine is out of the car. See Attached

So I will be getting electronic mouse repellent to use during winter storage or maybe leave it on all the time

Insurance estimates

Last edited by John Marciniak; 05-11-2024 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-12-2024, 02:53 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

Seems a bit odd that mouse urine could do damage to the oil cooler and the cooler mounting plate to the extent that they need to be replaced to the tune of over 2600 in parts alone. I would think you could just put it in a parts washer to clean it up..

I'm guessing that the "extra" 10K you get to pay is to address the usual cooling system failures on these cars? Cuz' your estimate above doesn't address any of those typical weak points..

If I were you, I would request the old parts to be returned to you to ensure that they were truly replaced.. ahem.. not that a shop would charge you for a new parts and just do a clean-up of the old one instead.. just sayin'

Old 05-12-2024, 11:32 AM
John Marciniak
AutoX

Default Hi Saabin

I have been going to this repair shop for years . I do trust them . Their the ones who told me to call my insurance company and tell them about the mouse damage to the engine. The adjuster agreed about the damage and is willing to pay to replace and repair the damage… To me that is like great the insurance company would pay to fix the damage and pay to pull and install the engine back in the car…
So with my about $ 10,000.00 on top of the insurance payment . I will have the clutch replaced, the cooling lines pinned these lines to be pinned will all be new because the insurance company is paying for the new cooling parts. Also new sharkwerks 3 new metal oil cooler parts . New water pump new thermostat also replace any rubber components on top of the engine.
Old 05-12-2024, 11:51 AM
John Marciniak
AutoX

The coil packs and spark plugs were installed 3 years ago only about 3,000 miles on these parts .So they don’t have to be replaced at this time
Old 05-12-2024, 06:30 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

I am also surprised. I know urine of any kind can be corrosive and I know aluminum can be affected by corrosive liquids (you should have seen my clothes washer's drum supports eaten away).

I would love to see the base plate and the heat exchanger when they pull it. I can add it to my trove of weird car problems.

Ed
Old 05-12-2024, 07:07 PM
signde
Racer

Received 270 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by John Marciniak
I have been going to this repair shop for years . I do trust them . Their the ones who told me to call my insurance company and tell them about the mouse damage to the engine. The adjuster agreed about the damage and is willing to pay to replace and repair the damage… To me that is like great the insurance company would pay to fix the damage and pay to pull and install the engine back in the car…
So with my about $ 10,000.00 on top of the insurance payment . I will have the clutch replaced, the cooling lines pinned these lines to be pinned will all be new because the insurance company is paying for the new cooling parts. Also new sharkwerks 3 new metal oil cooler parts . New water pump new thermostat also replace any rubber components on top of the engine.
hopefully they are pinning the cams while the engine is out and that is part of the 10k you are contributing.

Quick Reply: Mouse causes coolant leak help