Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 02:36 PM
eurotom
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No prob we'll get together soon to have a look. Good luck as the longer you search the more you're going to question your decision.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eurotom
No prob we'll get together soon to have a look. Good luck as the longer you search the more you're going to question your decision.
already doing that. Need to take a break from it, I think I have too much time on my hands right now so my naturally obsessive personality has hyper focused on wheels. Dangerous...

hopefully the weather will be good this weekend and I can focus my energy on frustrating myself with a round of golf instead
Old 11-01-2012, 03:02 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those graphite ADV's are gorgeous..
Old 11-01-2012, 03:32 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phillipj
Those graphite ADV's are gorgeous..
agreed, they look bad a$$. Here's another take on those same wheels, but with black spokes and a silver lip (I would probably do the lip in gunmetal). I think this would work well on my meteor gray in terms of a nice contrast and not 100% black. thoughts?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Maybe Photshop it and see what you think..I think that all the wheels you have chosen are equally sick.. You couldn't go wrong with any of them.. Unless they are heavy...

You're making me weak to get wheels.. Have to get off forum now......
Old 11-02-2012, 03:23 AM
TWTURBO
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm in the same boat just sold my 20" HRE P40 looking for a change ,thought i wanted 19 but can't make up my mind ,also fell in love the ADV wheels i like the 10spoke ones in the SL super light series def some of the best looking wheels out there ,but after talking to a couple of very reputable ADV dealers who both told me they are heavy especially the deep concave one's when compared to HRE wheels even the SL monoblocks.So i think i'm leaning back to the HRE in a P44sc this time.But like you i need to take a break from looking every night as i keep changing my mind.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 AM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phillipj
Maybe Photshop it and see what you think..I think that all the wheels you have chosen are equally sick.. You couldn't go wrong with any of them.. Unless they are heavy...

You're making me weak to get wheels.. Have to get off forum now......
ask and you shall receive. photoshop of the ADV 10 concave (from the GTR above) on a meteor gray 997.1 Turbo

I think this looks ridiculously good. I think we have a winner. thoughts people?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:01 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aa909
thoughts people?
Looks should always come second to quality. Make sure the wheels you are after have a TUV approval.
There are TUV offices all over the US, no excuse for any US wheel seller to not have TUV approval, if they don't you should be very careful.

http://www.tuv.com/en/usa/locations_...sp?location=us

I have a hard time understanding why people take risks with aftermarket wheels on powerful cars. Buy something that is as good as the car of better.
Most wheels on the US market would not pass TUV testing so please be careful.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:33 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Denis with his turbo
Looks should always come second to quality. Make sure the wheels you are after have a TUV approval.
There are TUV offices all over the US, no excuse for any US wheel seller to not have TUV approval, if they don't you should be very careful.

I have a hard time understanding why people take risks with aftermarket wheels on powerful cars. Buy something that is as good as the car of better.
Denis

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of the importance of TUV certification so thank you for educating me and putting this on my radar. quality and safety are first and foremost. So I did some searching and emailing and here's what I was able to find about ADV:

Seems like ADV was added to the TUV certified manufacturers list:
http://www.adv1wheels.com/blog/adv-1...-manufacturer/

I also emailed an ADV distributer in CA and they claim the wheels are TUV certified but I will continue to dig to confirm

BTW read on HRE's website that while they are TUV certified they do not TUV certify every single wheel design:

http://www.hrewheels.com/blog/hre-explains-what-is-tuv/

excerpt from HRE website:
WHEEL TESTING CERTIFICATES - Once a manufacturer’s facility is certified they are then able to send wheels to Europe to pass TUV geometric tolerance analysis and testing for fatigue and impact... This is a very time consuming and costly endeavor for any manufacturer to TUV certify their entire wheel offering... Given this fact, HRE does not certify every style and fitment, however we do have multiple styles in several fitments tested, approved and certified for sale in Germany, Switzerland and Austria...

Very interesting stuff, do you have specific concerns regarding ADV that I should consider before making a decision?

thanks
Art
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TWTURBO
I'm in the same boat just sold my 20" HRE P40 looking for a change ,thought i wanted 19 but can't make up my mind ,also fell in love the ADV wheels i like the 10spoke ones in the SL super light series def some of the best looking wheels out there ,but after talking to a couple of very reputable ADV dealers who both told me they are heavy especially the deep concave one's when compared to HRE wheels even the SL monoblocks.So i think i'm leaning back to the HRE in a P44sc this time.But like you i need to take a break from looking every night as i keep changing my mind.
Deep concave profiles will add more weight, but Ive had some 1 and 3 piece SL wheels and they were surprisingly light. Cant go wrong with HRE though.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:49 PM
phillipj
Drifting

ask and you shall receive. photoshop of the ADV 10 concave (from the GTR above) on a meteor gray 997.1 Turbo

I think this looks ridiculously good. I think we have a winner. thoughts people?
Those are amazing... But they do even look "heavy" ...
Old 11-02-2012, 03:50 PM
phillipj
Drifting

Great info Denis.. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:11 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Very interesting stuff, do you have specific concerns regarding ADV that I should consider before making a decision?

thanks
Art
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631009

There is no excuse for not testing a wheel. BBS do, ATS do, Champion do, in fact any serious wheel manufacturer should.
I would question any manufacturer who claims they do not need or want to test wheels because of cost. Even more so if product is at the extreme high end of the market.

When a wheel is designed on the computer stress tests are simulated and give a good indication if the wheel will 'hold'. But, and this is a big but, many times real life testing shows stress fractures. Therefore testing is so extremely important. I would not be writing this if we are talking about a car that has a topspeed of 120mph or so but with a 480bhp monster you shouldn't take risks. You only live once they say and in this case it is wise to think about safety first !!!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 PM
aa909
Burning Brakes

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631009

There is no excuse for not testing a wheel. BBS do, ATS do, Champion do, in fact any serious wheel manufacturer should.
I would question any manufacturer who claims they do not need or want to test wheels because of cost. Even more so if product is at the extreme high end of the market.
I found and read that thread as well, very eye opening. I also read many more and just spent an hour on the phone with 2 wheel dealers talking ADV wheels. From what I can glean it seems that ADV has secured TUV certification for their manufacturing process much like HRE. and based on the conversations I had it sounds like ADV does test each wheel design to spec to ensure quality but they don't certify each design with TUV do to excessive cost, again neither does HRE.

As for weight, we all know 3-piece wheels are heavier than monoblocks. I still need to do some digging but ADV offers concave and deep concave setups. The concave is shown on the GTR and photoshop turbo and I was told by one of the dealers it is 2-4 lbs heavier per wheel vs OEM depending how wide you go (i.e 19x11 vs 19x12). However the deep concave designs are even heavier so I think those are definitely a nonstarter and I would likely just stick with the regular concave

Anyway still learning so continue to share guys

Art
Old 11-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

Here are HRE P40's on my 07, but I'm thinking of changing to Carrera Sport Classics as pictured. I need a new look....
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Wheels!