Sponsored by:

Chipping my Turbo ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Chipping my Turbo ... ?

I just added FVDs 200 cell system to my car. I have an off throttle annoying rattle at 2500-3000 rpm, but hope this can be eliminated. That said, the car is certainly faster. And, sounds much better as well. There may be some droning in the cabin of my cab, but my SO has not complained. Well ... not very much.

When I picked up my car ... the service manager let me drive a 620 hp turbo car. It was pretty impressive, but not as 'drivable' as my car with like 510. Punching the 620 car nearly made it go sideways ... I was able to correct it, but not sure this would be something I'd like to have under my right foot on a daily basis.

The 620 car had lots of upgrades ... Cargraphic exhaust, headers, chipped, carbon fiber stuff on the aftermarket intakes (red thingies that I didn't know what they were) ... and I suppose other 'stuff' as well.

Here's my questions .....

If I chip my car ... what can I expect performance-wise with the FVD exhaust I've added? HP increase would be about what over what I have now?

Would chipping the car with my now installed FVD exhaust make it less drivable in town?

And ... what should I expect from chipping the car? BTW, an aftermarket guy that I know says that his shop can 'chip' my car for many hundreds less than Porsche. What do you think about this probablility? What the heck is 'chipping' anyway?

Thanx.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:56 AM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car has an E-Prom in the engine computer that controls boost, timing and fuel. (CHIP). Now, one can plug a computer into the OBDII port and upload a program to change these factory settings to give the car more power...LOTS more. This is the best way to optimize performance of the car. It also is fully reverseable at any time. If it were me, I would do it. The better exhaust just enhances the CHIP.
On my 1996 TT we hade to change the CHIP itself. Much more money and time. The new cars are so much better.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Steve
why don't you drive my car?
You can compare the exhaust sounds plus I have a GIAC flash
the car is so much better than stock and very driveable even in traffic
I was nervous too but it's the best thing I've done with the car
I went from bored and nearly selling the car to now thinking I may never sell it
I'm happy to help any way I can
Old 10-24-2009, 12:38 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

You can expect 50-70+ HP with the flash, very little change in drivability.
More importantly, what dealer is letting you test drive somebody's car??
Old 10-24-2009, 12:45 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

I have to get the exhaust 'issue' solved before I chip/flash the car.

TTG ... the 620 hp car was "for sale".
Old 10-24-2009, 01:14 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Ok Bagger, I misunderstood. Re the rattle where is the sound coming from? I once had a bolt come loose that retains the heat shield under the bumber, it made a very anoying rattle as well.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

This is really interesting ... and annoying as well.

After contacting Brombacher, I received a call from ***** in Germany. We discussed the possible problems. He had a Durametric tool sent to me to see if there were any problem with stuff ... like the turbos, or some such.

I'm certainly not all that mechanically inclined, but I was able to access the software diagnostics via my lop top and the cable supplied with the Durametric device. No faults showed up. I spent time on the phone with FVD while doing this and nothing was found.

I spent an hour yesterday trying to see where the noise is coming from. And, it is odd. It sounds most loud around 3000-2000 rpm once you let off the throttle particularly in the lower gears, or just revving the car. Then it 'goes away' like around 1500 or so ... also, it's still there at higher rpms 'off throttle', but not as noticeable for some reason.

This is most odd, tho ... I found that when the car is first started (cold start), you can rev the car to 4K and let off ... no BLAAAATTT. You can do this over and over ... then about 2 minutes later, the sound starts and continues. I can shut the car off for a few minutes ... restart it ... rev it ... NO sound. About 2 minutes later it starts and continues. I can stop the car for just a minute or two ... restart it ... rev it ... no sound until a couple minutes pass, then it starts.

Brombacher is sending me another muffler/cats and I'll have them hooked up and see if the BLAAAATTTT sound on deceleration goes away.

I have no clue what is causing it.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Here's the clip I sent to Brombacher and some others ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD2NOOpMUqY
Old 10-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Alex.M
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Here's the clip I sent to Brombacher and some others ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qD2NOOpMUqY
Sweet Jesus... it sounds like a cross between a garbage disposal and a 50 year old tractor.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

It almost sounds like you're car is giving 'the raspberry' when you back of the throttle. Is that what you're referring to?
Old 10-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coochas
It almost sounds like you're car is giving 'the raspberry' when you back of the throttle. Is that what you're referring to?
Yeah ... but, it's worse now. And, is much more obnoxious with the top down and while driving 'round town. VERY loud ! Folks turn around and look at "what the hell's making that noise?".

Crikey !
Old 10-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Yeah ... but, it's worse now. And, is much more obnoxious with the top down and while driving 'round town. VERY loud ! Folks turn around and look at "what the hell's making that noise?".

Crikey !
Hmmm. Maybe that's the way their exhaust is supposed to sound? I don't think I would like it though.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:32 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Coochas
Hmmm. Maybe that's the way their exhaust is supposed to sound? I don't think I would like it though.
No ... I've sent the clip to others who have the FVDs and to Brombacher. They say, "Nope".

Also, I've listened to several clips of the FVDs ... NONE sound like this.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:41 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Bagger, that is a horrible sound! It sounds like a fart or a baseball card flapping on bicycle spokes. I hope you can get this resolved. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:52 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Good lord, man! That sounds absolutely horrendous. But sounds like FVD is providing some exceptional service. Let us know how the new cans work out. And post some more vids. I need more motivation to drop some non-expendable income on unnecessary purchases

Quick Reply: Chipping my Turbo ... ?