Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chipping my Turbo ... ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 01:02 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Listen to mine, if it sounds the same you have your answer. The FVD is a great system, but the tubi sounds the best on a cab me thinks.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:04 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow, Bagger, sorry to hear about your troubles. I have the FVD headers as well as the 200 cell 'sound' version and my setup sounds terrific.

Your video sounds like uneven gas flow. I thought you might have had a bad cat on the first setup, but the chances of that happening twice are slim. I think the main can has a cross pipe design, and I thought perhaps a restrictive cat on one side could lead to the purging sound you're experiencing.

Are your turbos functioning properly? Mine whistle like nuts on my setup and yet I can barely even hear yours.

Keep us posted when you get your stock cans back on.

Hang in there!
Old 11-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Just got the car back from Porsche dealer late yesterday .... it's been there since Thursday putting on the new cans/cats .... taking those off .... getting new seals and reinstalling the OEM exhaust.

There is NO weird sound on backing off or revving with the OEMs. I tried to listen closely for a faint blaaaaaaaaaaat (quiet clown fart), but have not heard anything.

I'll contact FVD and see what can be done at this point.

Bumming me out, man !
Old 11-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
Just got the car back from Porsche dealer late yesterday .... it's been there since Thursday putting on the new cans/cats .... taking those off .... getting new seals and reinstalling the OEM exhaust.

There is NO weird sound on backing off or revving with the OEMs. I tried to listen closely for a faint blaaaaaaaaaaat (quiet clown fart), but have not heard anything.

Bumming me out, man !
I'm glad your flatulence is back under control.
"Quiet clown fart?" =
Old 11-11-2009, 01:18 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude

Bumming me out, man !
That's really weird about your car... I wonder if FVD has experienced your dilemma on other 997TTs.

You could... always... go ......... with............... STRAIGHT PIPES!!!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:23 PM
saba
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same FVD exhaust on my 997tt cab. It doesn't even sound close to yours. I have to say I am very sound sensitive and I had a lot of Fabspeed, Tubi Milteck and must say the worst is the Fabspeed ( no matter what version I had them all), the best is the FVD! Even on the Cab it is never too loud or annoying. Just sounds powerful and you can still use your phone. I would be worried that there is something else with the car that gets covered by the OEM exhaust.....
Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

(sigh ...) I'm pretty frustrated here, but what the heck.

I got home a bit early today and decided to vid/audio file the OEMs for FVD. I sent both the FVD and OEM clips off to Rhonda who will forward them to Brambacher for review.

Here's the back to back for you folks to entertain. I don't seem to hear anything 'special' with the OEMs. But, that said, I have not sat 'round listening to several dozen Turbo OEM exhaust notes either. And, like anything else ... one become quite sensitized by listening to stuff that isn't there.

For example .... one buys a white Porsche because they have not noticed any. But, once in their driveway ... every other one is white. That's what I'm talking about. Trying to hear something that isn't really there.

What do you folks think? Anything with the OEMs vs the FVDs?

I'm all ears.

http://www.youtube.com/user/BaggerWi.../0/tG6hqBV4HO4

http://www.youtube.com/user/BaggerWi.../1/qD2NOOpMUqY
Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

I don't hear anything in your stock video that sounds even remotely like that farting with the FVD.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:59 PM
saba
AutoX

Sorry to say that, but the OEM sounds way to rough for me...
Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
You can expect 50-70+ HP with the flash, very little change in drivability.
More importantly, what dealer is letting you test drive somebody's car??
So you are saying with just a flash alone you can bring a 2009 TT up from 480bhp to 530-550bhp, or is that up in bhp with the after market exhaust too like what the OP asked?
Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Somethin' doesn't sound right even with the OEM exhaust. Faint burble/fart when you let off the gas which is obviously magnified with the FVD's.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:58 PM
nyamg
Instructor

there is, with out a doubt something wrong with the way the car sounds with the stock exhaust, when you start to rev you drown-out the "weird" noise/sound.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:56 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tacet-Conundrum
So you are saying with just a flash alone you can bring a 2009 TT up from 480bhp to 530-550bhp, or is that up in bhp with the after market exhaust too like what the OP asked?
most of the reports I have seen show 30-50 hp with only the flash and 50-70+ with a high flow exhaust. Best to contact the tuners individually for exact numbers. Fwiw my ruf conversion, ecu/100cell exhaust/air filter, makes 550 hp on an engine dyno.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:19 PM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Bagger,

I sent both video's to M&M, FVD Germany and our Master Tech listened to it here as well. All 5 who listened to say the the car has an issue and more specifically 2 said an exhaust valve from the very beginning and confirmed it (from what they hear on the stock exhaust) a second time late last night. The other 3 are leaning towards a turbo issue.

It is just very strange that the first set of cat's with the muffler had the "clown fart" sound and then a completely different set of cat's and another muffler had the same issue??

I am so sorry for all of this hassle but a second opinion is certainly in order and Scott at Auto Associates of Canton would be a very good start.

Thanks,
Rhonda

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

Old 11-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rhonda@FVD
Bagger,

I sent both video's to M&M, FVD Germany and our Master Tech listened to it here as well. All 5 who listened to say the the car has an issue and more specifically 2 said an exhaust valve from the very beginning and confirmed it (from what they hear on the stock exhaust) a second time late last night. The other 3 are leaning towards a turbo issue.

It is just very strange that the first set of cat's with the muffler had the "clown fart" sound and then a completely different set of cat's and another muffler had the same issue??

I am so sorry for all of this hassle but a second opinion is certainly in order and Scott at Auto Associates of Canton would be a very good start.

Thanks,
Rhonda
Rhonda .... you beat me to posting about your emails with the FVD/Brambacher "Big Boys".
And, as you see here on the MB, there are not others that seem to think that the OEM system sounds "off", too.

This is .... from a certain standpoint ... good news.

I sent the audio/vids to another Porsche shop because I had a couple minutes to spare. I'm not opposed to having Scott see the car, but if there is a warranty issue with the car, I'm sure Porsche would have to sort that out .. not Scott.

Wondering IF ... IF ... there were an exhaust valve or turbo issue ... would there not be a failure light or some such prompt noted on the dash?? I did a Durametric check of the turbos and they were "fine" and "no faults" showed up. ???

FVD and you folks both here and abroad have given me terrific customer service. I applaud that. I just hope we can put this entire thing to bed soon.

BTW ... the "clown fart" seems to be getting a lot of ... ah ... air time here and that's appropriate as it is a good description. The sound a turbo diesel truck's air brake makes on decal is perhaps more accurate.

Last edited by Baggerdude; 11-12-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Chipping my Turbo ... ?