Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question- What is the weight of the Porsche factory exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 04:11 PM
RSA333
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question- What is the weight of the Porsche factory exhaust?

Folks-

The aftermarket suppliers are making claims about 20-50% decrease in weight, I assume not including the weight of the headers.

Does anyone know how much the 997 Turbo factory exhaust actually weighs?

Thanks in advance - Gerry
Old 03-13-2007, 05:18 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by RSA333
Folks-

The aftermarket suppliers are making claims about 20-50% decrease in weight, I assume not including the weight of the headers.

Does anyone know how much the 997 Turbo factory exhaust actually weighs?

Thanks in advance - Gerry
I weighed my stock exhaust and it was 46 pounds. The Cargraphic is supposed to save 5kg/11 pounds according to their current website info, that's a 24% decrease (it also adds 25hp according to them).
Old 03-13-2007, 06:54 PM
jgerken
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default cargraphic

Originally Posted by AAH986
I weighed my stock exhaust and it was 46 pounds. The Cargraphic is supposed to save 5kg/11 pounds according to their current website info, that's a 24% decrease (it also adds 25hp according to them).
I spoke with Hershel at Cargraphics USA today. I was interested in the TUV quiet version. They have switched from the British system shown on the website with twin cans to a new German manufactured system with a single can. This system is smaller so it doesn't need the heat sheilds shown which further reduces weight and resonance. Still TUV certified. They're getting the first one in on the 20th of this month which I decided to go for.

Jim
Old 03-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Stealth.
Intermediate

Jim, be sure to post impressions and sound bites if possible.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:07 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by jgerken
I spoke with Hershel at Cargraphics USA today. I was interested in the TUV quiet version. They have switched from the British system shown on the website with twin cans to a new German manufactured system with a single can. This system is smaller so it doesn't need the heat sheilds shown which further reduces weight and resonance. Still TUV certified. They're getting the first one in on the 20th of this month which I decided to go for.

Jim
Jim, I don't know if you are aware but "Cargraphic USA" is no longer the official Cargraphic dealer in the US. If you check the german Cargraphic official site you will see that the only US dealer is Road Sport Supply in Costa Mesa, CA.
I bought mine from them and it was made in germany, not the UK and has no resonnance whatsoever, I have no clue what your guy is talking about.
Also, it does have the heat shield like the stock exhaust and I would not buy an exhaust for the TT without the heat shield.
Just wanted to give you the heads up and good luck either way.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:19 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These were sent to me by a friend in Germany. The results are not quite 20 NM and 25 PS probably because the Porsche typically puts out more than specified.
Enjoy.
Attached Images   
Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 PM
jgerken
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default BS

Originally Posted by AAH986
Jim, I don't know if you are aware but "Cargraphic USA" is no longer the official Cargraphic dealer in the US. If you check the german Cargraphic official site you will see that the only US dealer is Road Sport Supply in Costa Mesa, CA.
I bought mine from them and it was made in germany, not the UK and has no resonnance whatsoever, I have no clue what your guy is talking about.
Also, it does have the heat shield like the stock exhaust and I would not buy an exhaust for the TT without the heat shield.
Just wanted to give you the heads up and good luck either way.
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:14 AM
RSA333
Racer

Folks-

From what I can gather, given about the same configuration, here are approximate weights of the aftermarket exhuasts, although it may be "comparing apples to oranges" in some cases:

FABSPEED = 36 lbs
CARGRAPHIC = 34 lbs
TECHART = 26 lbs
9ff= 26 lbs
AWE = 25 lbs
Tubi = 20 lbs
IPP Titanium = 11 lbs

They all claim about a 20-30hp gain.

Thanks - Gerry
Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

LAT
Thanks for sharing those dyno curves - I still think even Maha chassis dyno's can't give accurate numbers on these turbocharged 4WD cars due to many factors.....

I am sceptical about how the 997tt with the Cargraphic exhaust appears to have LOST ~22PS at 6300rpm - In reality this is where it should still have gains but probably due to air flow in the dyno cell this spurious curve is produced ?
Old 03-14-2007, 09:42 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TB993tt, I agree, I am not a fan of any chassis dyno but that is all I have. It would be good to see engine dyno figures.

Quick Reply: Question- What is the weight of the Porsche factory exhaust?