Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone concerned about the new technology?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 07:05 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone concerned about the new technology?

Is anyone concerned enough about the new technology being introduced on the 997 Turbo and will wait for the second year to avoid issues usually seen on the first year cars? I've got a deposit down at a dealer and should be pretty high on the list to get an early one but I'm thinking it may not be so bad if I don't get one of the first ones.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:44 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Unlike the Cayenne (which took 2 years, '03 AND '04) to get the majority of the issues resolved (some still remain), the 996TT was pretty good straight out of the gate, so I'm expecting the 997TT to be as well.
Still not going to buy one however, since I can't stand the look of the car inside or outside for some reason.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:17 AM
Crownvic
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lewis,

You may want to wait another year or two for the S model, it may just have enough cosmetic mods to make it look as good as it should?

/Vic
Old 02-16-2006, 08:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Perhaps, time will tell, and besides, my 996TT only has 5K miles and she still looks new.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:58 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

No, I just want one.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:39 AM
RobertG
Racer

VTG turbos in diesels has been around for 15yrs. Its very robust and tested technology. The thing that is new here is that material science has evolved to provide coatings that can finally survive the heat of gas engine exhausts. But, how long these coatings last is going to be the thing to watch.
Old 02-20-2006, 02:32 AM
Ruiner
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobertG
VTG turbos in diesels has been around for 15yrs. Its very robust and tested technology. The thing that is new here is that material science has evolved to provide coatings that can finally survive the heat of gas engine exhausts. But, how long these coatings last is going to be the thing to watch.
I am wondering about this as well. How will they handle the increased boost when the ECU is chipped? Only time will tell...
Old 02-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

in a chipped version I doubt that boost will be increased before 3000 rpm... I don't know how much quicker you want to get to 60 than 3.4 seconds but I would imagine that midrange to upper end is where you'll see the added turbo punch of a chip...
Old 02-24-2006, 05:56 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The technology in ALL new high-end cars is getting to the point where owning one out of warranty is a potential nightmare. To me, adding more complexity like VTG to the TT to achieve a little more power is stupid. They could have achieved the power increase with simple exhaust or boost map tweaks... but the market seems to prefer complexity and fancy acronyms, to simplicity of deisgn.

No thanks. If I want fast, I'll throw a big turbo and intercooler in a 930 and be just as fast as the new TTs, without the expense or complexity. But if you like having more electronics than the space shuttle, you should love the new TT.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing them at the track. Or more specifically, I look forward to seeing how those poor tires deal with 3500lbs around the turns...
Old 02-25-2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by pcar964
To me, adding more complexity like VTG to the TT to achieve a little more power is stupid. They could have achieved the power increase with simple exhaust or boost map tweaks...

No thanks. If I want fast, I'll throw a big turbo and intercooler in a 930 and be just as fast as the new TTs, without the expense or complexity. But if you like having more electronics than the space shuttle, you should love the new TT.

I think Porsche has already done that to get this much power safely and reliably out of the 3.6.

I loved each and every one of my 930's, had a Kremmer in 1985 (Euro car) that car was fast as ....
Old 02-25-2006, 05:39 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 500
I think Porsche has already done that to get this much power safely and reliably out of the 3.6.

I loved each and every one of my 930's, had a Kremmer in 1985 (Euro car) that car was fast as ....
I respectfully disagree. The new TT is still 3.6 liters, it's just the boost map that has changed which was achieved by adding VTG turbos. Obviously the engine is capable of producing that power level reliably, it's all about HOW they got the extra power. The 2-valve air cooled 3.3's are capable of reliable 500+bhp. With the same strong bottom end, water cooling and multi valves, I don't think there should be any problem pushing 600bhp out of the new TT if they wanted it.

My problem is the technology they use. It's technology for technology's sake. Old school engineers would have looked for the most simple and elegant solution, but nowadays Porsche seems to like the most complicated and (potentially very expensive to fix) solutions. Not my cup of tea, and I know there are many who feel the same way.
Old 02-25-2006, 06:16 PM
Stummel
Pro

The VTG is to reduce turbo lag and nothing else.
Due to various noise and emission laws Porsche can not just add cat and muffler bypasses so they go the hi-tech route.

But the owner of the 997tt can have VTG and throw on a better cat and exhaust and have a more agressive mapping. That should be no lag at all.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

It should prove interesting if Porsche can adapt this technology to the massive Cayenne Turbo. Lessening the lag in the CTT would really be a hit,...if you haven't driven one, go for a ride - once it spools it's a pretty sick feeling to be in something so big moving so quickly.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:08 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

You forget Porsche also has to create a car that meets emissions, sound level settings and be under a warranty - things after market folks aren't too worried about.

You think 16k for an X-51 on a 3.8 911 is only exhaust and intake? It's pistons, valves, etc., etc., etc.... I'm sure same for the new 997 Turbos as Porsche after-all is a car company there to make money - I'm sure if they could have gotten the same horsepower while meeting all the requirements with less technology and cost then they would have...
Old 03-05-2006, 01:42 AM
RobertG
Racer

Porsche is already working on putting VTG on the next version of the Pepper Turbo/

Quick Reply: Anyone concerned about the new technology?