Sponsored by:

997 tt will have an integrated ipod

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren
I just posted the MY07 997 TT Preliminary Order Guide on my site and it does not mention this option.
Preliminary being the key word here...
Old 02-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
Preliminary being the key word here...
These are usually marked as "preliminary" until several months after they are delivering cars. Option change memos are sent to dealers weekly or bi-weekly - I have the one dated today and still no mention of an integrated ipod.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:43 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

could be wild rumour, could be that porsche hasn't officially sorted everything with apple yet.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:25 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ronmart
My guess is going to be that they've just created a module that hooks into the CD changer so you can go either CD changer or IPod connection.
Excellent guess but not exactly correct.
The physical layer interface is MOST, so it would be a standalone device on the MOST ring, rather than a 'parasite' interface to the MOST CDChanger.
By putting it on the MOST ring, you can add/remove CDChanger, NAV, Sat, iPod on and off the ring to suit your configuration/build requirements (which was actually one of the features of MOST when it was pitched and sold to the OEM's in the late 90's after the D2B interface (forerunner to MOST) was completed)

PAG has decided to do things a bit differently than BMW/VAG with respect to iPod integration, which is partly why they are last to market.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:31 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the original post said the integrated ipod would play photos and videov over the NAV screen off the iPOD. Now, why would you think that would be a rumor???

Come on guys. Maybe I am just being cynical, but isn't that a 'bit' of a stretch?

lol. I will place this in the "don't hold your breath" department.

No offense to sobe of course. I am sure he heard it from a reliable source!
Old 02-15-2006, 10:58 AM
docsassy
AutoX

Unfortunately there is no control over the video or photo's in the iPod yet.

When they say you can watch these on the screen then probably they are just talking about a standard video AUX port that maybe in a TV tuner or something. In any case there will need to be an extra Aux for this as they won't be running video over MOST. Although MOST can do, very few cars actually use it. I think the only car I know of that uses it is the S Class running the Siemens HU.

Was down at the Porsche dealer the other day and they had never heard of an iPod kit on MOST. This is not the kind of thing Porsche would spend cash on developing....they should be spending it on getting a BT phone system running!
Old 02-15-2006, 07:03 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by docsassy
Unfortunately there is no control over the video or photo's in the iPod yet.
Perhaps it's only available to developers who have NDA's in place with Apple?

When they say you can watch these on the screen then probably they are just talking about a standard video AUX port that maybe in a TV tuner or something. In any case there will need to be an extra Aux for this as they won't be running video over MOST.
Why not?
MOST (and certainly MOST 2) has sufficient bandwidth to carry video content (by design). You can even buy a MOST DVD player from Oasis.

Although MOST can do, very few cars actually use it. I think the only car I know of that uses it is the S Class running the Siemens HU.
It is currrently considered illegal to transport (protected content video...DVD, DVD-A or SACD) copyrighted digital content over MOST unless you are licensed by the DTLA and running an approved DTCP (digital transfer copyright protection) algorithms. These are currently in development/validation testing with several OEM suppliers.

Was down at the Porsche dealer the other day and they had never heard of an iPod kit on MOST. This is not the kind of thing Porsche would spend cash on developing....they should be spending it on getting a BT phone system running!
PAG may actually beg to differ on what they would spend their cash on.
I would not be surprised that your dealer would be unaware of any development, few people actually understand (let alone design for) MOST.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:09 PM
mrpc12
Addict
Rennlist Member

MOST = oxymoron. It actually has the LEAST support right now. LOL
Old 02-16-2006, 05:57 AM
docsassy
AutoX

Originally Posted by ltc
Perhaps it's only available to developers who have NDA's in place with Apple?.
I do and it's not available.

Originally Posted by ltc
Why not?
MOST (and certainly MOST 2) has sufficient bandwidth to carry video content (by design). You can even buy a MOST DVD player from Oasis..
Yes it's doable but for some reason OEM's have not really done it yet hence they have stayed with comp video for now. As I said only the S class that I'm aware of is using MOST for it's TV tuner. BMW is still using RGB for it's NAV and TV Tuner as is Merc on it's COMAND system.

Originally Posted by ltc
It is currrently considered illegal to transport (protected content video...DVD, DVD-A or SACD) copyrighted digital content over MOST unless you are licensed by the DTLA and running an approved DTCP (digital transfer copyright protection) algorithms. These are currently in development/validation testing with several OEM suppliers.

PAG may actually beg to differ on what they would spend their cash on.
I would not be surprised that your dealer would be unaware of any development, few people actually understand (let alone design for) MOST.
I have no doubt that the dealer has no idea. I was actually running some MOST testing and this was the first time they had seen anything like what I was doing..
Old 02-16-2006, 06:33 AM
Sobe
Pro

Yes option change memos are sent to dealers weekly or bi-weekly and this is a planed option for the 997TT . This came from a friend that works at Porsche but it was not official . He has always been right before but a lot of the time I am hearing things that are in what he calls beta, so the official release may not be what they were trying to achieve . The word was Apple has a separate division that is working with the individual car companies and the photo and video options are major things they are planing to have working with the interface .
Old 02-16-2006, 07:39 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sobe
The word was Apple has a separate division that is working with the individual car companies and the photo and video options are major things they are planing to have working with the interface .
Yup.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Yes it's doable but for some reason OEM's have not really done it yet hence they have stayed with comp video for now.
It's not for 'some reason', it's due to DTLA/DTCP requirements. Period.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Sobe
Pro

what are DTLA/DTCP requirements?
Old 02-16-2006, 10:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Sobe
what are DTLA/DTCP requirements?
Warning:
Proceed at your own risk...abandon all faith ye who enter:
http://www.dtcp.com/

DTCP mapped to MOST:
http://www.dtcp.com/data/info%202005...MOST%201p1.pdf
Old 02-17-2006, 07:31 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
Why is apple so dedicated to making you get out of your car and open the front to get to your media?
Apple? Isn't this where Porsche is putting it?

Quick Reply: 997 tt will have an integrated ipod