Sharkwerks Race Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Luv2XcelR8
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sharkwerks Race Exhaust

Team,

a good friend of mine has a brand new Sharkwerks race exhaust that he is going to sell me for basically over half off list price. He is also going to have it wrapped for heat, and install will be pretty low.

Should I go for it?

About me:

I have had really loud cars in the past (DD a Vortech Supercharged G35 with longtube headers and full exhaust) and the GT3 is a weekend car with the occasional car shows, etc.

With that being said, do you feel like this is a good option, or will I kick myself for doing it? I understand that it is LOUD, but I am looking for a mean sound with this car since it is a gorgeous Mezger and a "fun car".

Open to all suggestions and feedback before I pull the trigger and have it done!

-T
Old 03-20-2017, 01:59 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

With the race exhaust, it will be louder than the supercharged G35 w/ exhaust, there's just a lot less piping. But the sound is glorious - the meanest kind you can get if that's what you really want.

I've gone through a bunch of iterations, between bypass pipe, side pipes with center oem muffler, and full out race in an attempt to go to sound metered tracks near me. I've given up trying to hit the sound limits. And I like the race exhaust, but my car is primarily a track car. Would I drive my car on a roadtrip, hell no - two hours is about the limit for me.

Since you're getting a good deal, try it out, if you don't like it you can always sell it. Be prepared for a little bit of drone.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Luv2XcelR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rnh204
With the race exhaust, it will be louder than the supercharged G35 w/ exhaust, there's just a lot less piping. But the sound is glorious - the meanest kind you can get if that's what you really want.

I've gone through a bunch of iterations, between bypass pipe, side pipes with center oem muffler, and full out race in an attempt to go to sound metered tracks near me. I've given up trying to hit the sound limits. And I like the race exhaust, but my car is primarily a track car. Would I drive my car on a roadtrip, hell no - two hours is about the limit for me.

Since you're getting a good deal, try it out, if you don't like it you can always sell it. Be prepared for a little bit of drone.
That sounds good! Yeah, the car would probably never go on a long road trip. The longest would be a few hours in the mountains and on back country roads.

Is the drone horrible or just subtle?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:49 PM
rnh204
Pro

In my opinion its subtle, keep it out of 2500-2800 and there is no drone.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv2XcelR8
Should I go for it?
No..... you should let me buy it
Old 03-20-2017, 03:02 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

won't pass smog test in Atlanta (unless your lucky to live out in the Burbs)
Old 03-20-2017, 03:21 PM
Luv2XcelR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bogey1
won't pass smog test in Atlanta (unless your lucky to live out in the Burbs)
Why wouldn't it "pass"?

As long as the cars "readiness" through the OBDII will fire than it should pass. The only issue is if I were to replace the headers and the proper sensors were not turned on properly.

Anybody have insight on this?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:23 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

Maybe I don't understand the race exhaust. If no CATS, I don't believe it will pass.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:50 PM
rnh204
Pro

You should be fine, you're only changing your two side mufflers and center muffler with the sharkwerks race exhaust. As long as you keep your OEM cats you should be fine. You can actually run without cats and get o2 extenders to trick the readiness codes to be "ready". YMMV.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Bigfra
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts

Had mine on for 3 miles and then took it off. Way to loud but that's just IMHO
Old 03-20-2017, 06:27 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

1996 and newer is all about the readiness. If enough monitors are ready and no more than the max not ready, you pass as long as the gas cap passes physically. If they put the mirror under the car chances are they aren't going to admit to you that they don't know where the engine is located let alone the cats.

Always snickered when the emissions guys put cat mirrors under the front-middle my NSXs and then acted like they found what they were looking for...
Old 03-20-2017, 06:51 PM
Matt55
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luv2XcelR8
Team,

a good friend of mine has a brand new Sharkwerks race exhaust that he is going to sell me for basically over half off list price. He is also going to have it wrapped for heat, and install will be pretty low.

Should I go for it?

About me:

I have had really loud cars in the past (DD a Vortech Supercharged G35 with longtube headers and full exhaust) and the GT3 is a weekend car with the occasional car shows, etc.

With that being said, do you feel like this is a good option, or will I kick myself for doing it? I understand that it is LOUD, but I am looking for a mean sound with this car since it is a gorgeous Mezger and a "fun car".

Open to all suggestions and feedback before I pull the trigger and have it done!

-T
I love the sound without mufflers on my car, wouldn't have it any other way, but it is 90% track. Above 4K she gets pretty loud but oh what a glorious roar! The neighbors hear me from a mile down the road.
I still have cats and it passes emission.
I see your in Atlanta, I'm in Dallas send me a pm and we can get together and you can see what you think.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 PM
roche
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have this exhaust on my car and wouldn't have it any other way. I just ordered the EVOMS tune to go with it. Yeah, there is the drone that's been talked about above, but it's not like it's going to be your DD. For some it may be too much, but it comes down to personal preference.......do you want the best sounding GT3?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:11 AM
Luv2XcelR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt55
I love the sound without mufflers on my car, wouldn't have it any other way, but it is 90% track. Above 4K she gets pretty loud but oh what a glorious roar! The neighbors hear me from a mile down the road.
I still have cats and it passes emission.
I see your in Atlanta, I'm in Dallas send me a pm and we can get together and you can see what you think.
Yes,

I absolutely would love to meet up so that I can hear your car and take a ride! My next post was going to be trying to find someone that lives near me with a similar setup

I will shoot you a PM!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:13 AM
Luv2XcelR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roche
I have this exhaust on my car and wouldn't have it any other way. I just ordered the EVOMS tune to go with it. Yeah, there is the drone that's been talked about above, but it's not like it's going to be your DD. For some it may be too much, but it comes down to personal preference.......do you want the best sounding GT3?
Yes, I absolutely want the best sounding GT3

I was fully convinced until I gave the fabulous Sharkwerks team a call. I mentioned to them that I like loud cars and that I come from a racing background (currently) and they talked me out of it! They said it is just not fun and doesn't sound as good as the Bypass because it doesn't have an exotic sound.

This was the biggest concern to me...I want the best sound even if that means it has to be a little less loud....what are everybody's thoughts about that comment?

BTW the Sharkwerks team was absolutely phenomenal...excellent customer service and very honest. I will be giving them my business either way.

Does it still sound exotic?

Quick Reply: Sharkwerks Race Exhaust