997.1 Battery problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 03:21 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 Battery problem

Guys

I left my .1 in garage for weeks, and the battery went low and cannot start it. Then I purchased CTEK 3300, charged it by plugging in the Cig socket for almost 24 hrs. The next day the car was perfectly started. I drove it for another 2 days, every day I put almost just 10 miles on it. Everything looks normal. And I was out of town for another 2 days without driving it.

Today I just found I cannot open the door, the front and back hood. After charging it with CTEK 3300 using the cig plug, the doors and hoods can be opened with remote. But the car still cannot be started. It shows TC Failure, ABS failure, and the passenger safety bag light is on, the headlights are not functional, the windows are not working either.

Right now it is still under charging. Do I have to replace the battery? Usually how much does it cost to get OEM one?

Best Regards
Old 07-08-2015, 04:15 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as someone who has dealt with auto battery problems for a half century, your's is telling you it wants to be put out to pasture. Now, so far as unhooking and dropping a new one in, there is something about doing it exactly right, or you have problems. Someone else will have to tell you what the procedure is.

All the best...
Old 07-08-2015, 04:35 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 299 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 997GT3RS
Guys

I left my .1 in garage for weeks, and the battery went low and cannot start it. Then I purchased CTEK 3300, charged it by plugging in the Cig socket for almost 24 hrs. The next day the car was perfectly started. I drove it for another 2 days, every day I put almost just 10 miles on it. Everything looks normal. And I was out of town for another 2 days without driving it.

Today I just found I cannot open the door, the front and back hood. After charging it with CTEK 3300 using the cig plug, the doors and hoods can be opened with remote. But the car still cannot be started. It shows TC Failure, ABS failure, and the passenger safety bag light is on, the headlights are not functional, the windows are not working either.

Right now it is still under charging. Do I have to replace the battery? Usually how much does it cost to get OEM one?

Best Regards
after a total drain, batteries rarely bounce back. you can attempt to 'recondition' the battery using your ctek (dont think you can do it using the cig adapter plug). in the future, drive your car or keep it on the ctek
Old 07-08-2015, 05:06 PM
UFreefer
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if its an issue on the GT3 too, but I had a similar issue on my 997S and it was the cable from the starter to alternator. It used to always start the first time well and then when I went to restart when the car was warm it would barely crank. The cable is too thin of a gauge and causes a bunch of draw on the starter....which eventually wears out the starter.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:10 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

If that is your original battery it's 8 years old. Go buy a new one. Don't bother with Oem. If you are in the U.S. An interstate h6 is plenty. Or go for an agm as they have less issues with leaking.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:08 PM
mrm 930
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had my 08 GT3 RS for about 3-1/2 years and I am on my 3rd battery. The 3rd on is from Enterprise batteries - why?, because they are warrantied for 3 years no questions asked. The OEM battery warranty does not cover cars driven less than 6000 miles a year. Well - that takes mine right out and most of everyone else.

Hint: always lock the car. when locked most of the electronic systems shut down, except for alarm sensors. Ignition system and other sub-systems completely shut down when locked. Saves on battery drain.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:01 PM
icatto
Intermediate

It's dead. Measure the battery length before you buy the replacement as there will be different sizes that are all for the 997.1. Save yourself the trouble of having to move the tie down bracket which is a mild pain. Mine died at Watkins Glen and I had to use what was locally available which meant I learned the bracket adjustment the hard way.
The failure lights should go out after you let it run a short while.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:45 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by UFreefer
Not sure if its an issue on the GT3 too, but I had a similar issue on my 997S and it was the cable from the starter to alternator. It used to always start the first time well and then when I went to restart when the car was warm it would barely crank. The cable is too thin of a gauge and causes a bunch of draw on the starter....which eventually wears out the starter.
The cable from the starter to the alternator is only an issue on non gt3/gt2 cars. The gt2/3 use a thicker cable so that isn't an issue.

Like everyone else has said Battery is dead and not holding a charge anymore. Take the battery any auto parts store as have them test it and they can tell you if it's bad.

Interstate is a good choice for a replacement battery. If you are still experiencing the same problems after changing the battery, then something is pulling a draw on the battery and you need to track that down.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:19 AM
964TURBOCHAS
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

yup you killed your battery
should always put on a trickle charger if down for a week or more
Old 07-09-2015, 05:55 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I tried locking my car as this thread suggests but now trickle charger never goes off. Unlocked car again and after a day trickle charger goes off like it always did. Are you sure about sub system shut down when car locked?
Old 07-09-2015, 06:59 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
I tried locking my car as this thread suggests but now trickle charger never goes off. Unlocked car again and after a day trickle charger goes off like it always did. Are you sure about sub system shut down when car locked?
997 yes.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:16 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Just be lucky you are not dealing with the oem lithium unit. It's so hard to throw something like that away .....
Old 07-10-2015, 12:32 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Thanks so much guys. I have been charging it with ctek 3300, cig plug for almost 30 hours already. The problem is still there, can not start the engine, TC failure, TPC failure, ABS failure, windows are dead.

Is there anyway to jumpstart it, just once, so that I dont have to call tow car?
Needa send to shop to replace battery.

Regards,
Old 07-10-2015, 01:41 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a YouTube video showing you how to open the frunk with a dead battery. You will need a 12v source.

Old 07-10-2015, 02:38 PM
997GT3RS
Advanced

Thanks for the video, I can open the hood with my remote. So far what I have is the ctek 3300 charger. Do I have to purchase what you call it the "12 V source"? Could you please name it or give me a link of it?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 997.1 Battery problem