Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Manual is back... don't buy any 997 GT3 anytime soon...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:47 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Old 03-12-2017, 09:20 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

OP: I think you should change your forum name to "Porsche Whisperer". So much cooler than Porsche Hedger. Put an ad in the classifieds titled "Porsche Investing 101". Based on your advice on this thread, just quit your day job and go all in with the 911 hedging business plan.

I am very interested to see you develop an instrument to actually "hedge" a 911 purchase. Maybe you can launch a 911 futures exchange so that people can financially hedge their physical 911 inventory. Launch a long/short fund?

Good luck and let us know how you do; maybe post your historical performance over time.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:03 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
OP: I think you should change your forum name to "Porsche Whisperer". So much cooler than Porsche Hedger. Put an ad in the classifieds titled "Porsche Investing 101". Based on your advice on this thread, just quit your day job and go all in with the 911 hedging business plan.

I am very interested to see you develop an instrument to actually "hedge" a 911 purchase. Maybe you can launch a 911 futures exchange so that people can financially hedge their physical 911 inventory. Launch a long/short fund?

Good luck and let us know how you do; maybe post your historical performance over time.
https://k500.com/the-index

Still, no instruments or exchanges-- but that would be cool, if only a porsche was a commodity. Well, we could make a porsche investment trust, maybe buy a racetrack too, include that in trust, and rent out track days in the cars... if you want to partner with me lmk... but I bet you do this:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-costly-loans

You can still hedge a porsche purchase however, more so than any other car-- even Ferrari. Fairly straight forward, just need to pay attention to the desirable features in past cars, the changes in the future cars, and limitedness of the present cars -- and pay attention to changing circumstances.

The hedge here is investing in discontinuation, limitedness, and desirability while also buying a car...
Old 03-12-2017, 10:19 PM
blackonblack
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
A fair response on my part would be:

If you are truly a Porsche hedger and if you truly believe your own thread title, your money should be on short selling 997 GT3's. The rest is indeed trolling.
Only truly serious notion in this thread has been 997 GT3 prices will "probably dip somewhat."

The rest has been fun.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:50 PM
mmuller
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

I think we found Kibort's cousin.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:21 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I am not as brutal in responding to this thread and honestly, some replies are too harsh. Although I cannot blame the people here.

The problem I see is that you (the OP) did not realize most of us here have the car already(997 GT3).

And

did not realize that probably some of us are not in for the value of the car but the value of experience. Isnt that obvious, if it is just for the value of the car, why would I keep our 997s? I have 2 right now.

I have nothing against your post nor yourself, I am sure you are a porsche guy like myself.

But I have been thru a few porsches as you can see my signature, and have realized that the farther away we are from the original 911, the farther we are really on the true driving experience we have been used too.

Its not just porsches, even ferraris and BMWs. So to say that to hold off to buy a 997 GT3 just because the next 991 GT3 has a manual, the only value to that advise is the price? Some people value that more that the value of the driving experience, some may not. Not all manuals are thesame, even within the 911 family.

No offense intended, we are all car junkies.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by mmuller
I think we found Kibort's cousin.
LMAO. i concede, you win

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9

equity fund manage?a
i manage other's money. i help them hedge so they lose i win. seems to work well. i know madoff well.

Originally Posted by SSTHO
Best thread. So troll.

Thank god I sold all those 997 GT3s, RS' and a GT2. They're all done for now.

I'm so glad the 991.1 RS was the best thing ever. Car helped me win DEs and C&Cs.

But now I just want to have fun. And these 997 GTx's were fun. Glad to know I'll be able to trade my used Audi S3 DD for one of these with the launch of the 991.2 GT3 soon! Thanks!
LOL, i heard u are into Gulfstreams now. can i invite myself for a ride? better yet, can i fly it for you. i will try not to hit stuff.

Originally Posted by cavlino
Now your Barking, and sideways at that! LOL
not sure the breed of the day, but that yellow porsche has strange shape. is that your hedge?

Originally Posted by K964
Get on the bus, Gus......
the new husky is really cute. i like it.

op, many on here buy and lose money on porsche but during the loss cycle, they enjoyed driving the living day light out of it. once, i lost the entire right side to my 7.1 cup car, landed a 993 C2s on it's roof, and a 996gt3 flew a fence 5' tall at T hill. i dont think they need to HEDGE. it's just an expense. it's easier to hedge on comm. equity, fixed income and the more common asset classes.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:31 AM
jacksojf
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're having some fun now...
Old 03-13-2017, 12:32 PM
jootunk
7th Gear

Originally Posted by blackonblack
Did anyone on here hear? Porsche brought the manual in the GT3! May want to wait a little before buying a 997 GT3, the prices will probably dip somewhat.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...11-gt3-manual/

I haven't seen a picture of an actual 991 GT3 manual yet, and if you try to build it on their website, there is no option for a manual. That said, R&T is quite reputable.
Wow, and I thought I trolled.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:52 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 72 Posts

OK, thanks.

Good to know.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:55 PM
chiffonade
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice Lowe's carpet.
never owned a dog i see? probably not, i get that vibe from you. honestly lowe's would be a fancy upgrade for my pup, i do most of my shopping at overstock.com

Last edited by chiffonade; 03-13-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:47 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

Entertaining thread!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:28 PM
cliffs
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default isn't the 996 997 turbo mezger too?

Am I wrong?

". while its not mezger engine"
Old 03-13-2017, 11:52 PM
hs63gt3
Instructor

pls, keep it to urself.

I am a Porsche-hedger, and in fact offering my advice for free.

Much prefer the looks of the 997, cleaner, sharper and just right.

Otherwise, the guy that said "these cars can't be compared" is on something (sorry). Hope you're not saying the performance of the 991 cannot be compared to the 997 -- because all the 997 has in its favor is its looks, size and hydraulic steering... otherwise the 991 defies physics and has gotten VERY good reviews (even with pdk). You're only argument is that the 991 GT3 wasn't designed to be a manual and therefore will not perform as good as the 997 in that form.

I'll continue... question is:
Will the 991 GT3 RS be offered with a manual also... if not, 997 RSs will be worth $$$.

If so, that leaves us with the 2009 997 Turbo Manual, or the 997.2 Turbo Manual to take the place of the last of a high-end 911 model with a manual and that will be where my money is.

Lastly, there's a funny, fairly uniform mood here in the GT3 section. The 997 Turbo section, and yes F-Chat are much more inclined to discuss appreciation. Of course you always get some that say "Just enjoy it, it's car," but what if I enjoy appreciating, drivable assets? Maybe I'm totally delusional, but until the 993 bubbles burst I'm going to maintain that I'm not.

Excuse my aggression.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:16 AM
ranger22
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 191 Posts

Nope, no one will buy the 991.2 GT3 in manual. You see, the problem is that you can't get cup car cables for that car, so you're stuck with the rubbery oem shifting experience. Doesn't everyone like their shifting rigid? For that reason, maybe prices go up. No?

Quick Reply: GT3 Manual is back... don't buy any 997 GT3 anytime soon...