Would you Trade your GT3 RS for a modern McLaren

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 09:34 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
the modern feel, technology and the Exotic Presence of the car...
I don't care for either of these so I'll pass on the McLaren. But if I had to choose between a 991-2 Porsche and a McLaren I'd be sending my money to Woking.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:55 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I have not driven a Mclaren. BUt would add and not trade an RS.

But you said you cannot get both. Scratch the itch. This is the best time to sell the RS, scratch the itch, then come back to a better one and hopefully, it has not appreciated that high. But forget trading the mclaren back to an RS, they will kill you with it.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:50 AM
Akara1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 997.1 RS and had a McLaren 570S for about a year. Just sold it. As others have said, the McLaren was a great addition to the garage. Not a replacement for my RS though. The McLaren does a lot of things better than the RS. But at the end of the day, there is going to be a newer, better McLaren coming out, and based on their model, sooner than you think. The 997 RS is a unique enough car that even if the 991 is technically a better car, the 997 doesn't need to be replaced. Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:04 AM
Misplacedyankee
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

No way.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:10 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Akara1
I have a 997.1 RS and had a McLaren 570S for about a year. Just sold it. As others have said, the McLaren was a great addition to the garage. Not a replacement for my RS though. The McLaren does a lot of things better than the RS. But at the end of the day, there is going to be a newer, better McLaren coming out, and based on their model, sooner than you think. The 997 RS is a unique enough car that even if the 991 is technically a better car, the 997 doesn't need to be replaced. Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the responses... ^^ This sums up where my heart is on this decision. Once I got the RS I always said it would be a keeper and that I'd just add cars to it.. I suppose I'm jones-ing for another car as it's been a while since I've purchased one... I'm selling my 550 now and plan to replace it with a M3 Comp Pkg, or Alpha. Perhaps that'll help get my "Modern turbo fix" and serve as a nice Daily.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:40 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that last post about there always being a newer mclaren largely nails it.

the analogy i like to use is with smart phones vs mechanical wrist watches. smart phones are amazing-- the latest iphone or android devices are computers in your pocket-- but they're ultimately disposable because the technology is evolving so quickly.

on the other hand, mechanical watches are largely at the zenith of where they're gonna go. sure, there's still innovation to be had, but it's getting asymptotic at this point.

the dual clutch transmissions of today are going to be clunky in 3-4 years time. but the perfect manual transmission in a 996/7 GT3 will still be as perfect in ten years time.

HAVING SAID THAT...

i picked up a new 650S a year ago, and have been loving it. it's the perfect foil for my 997.1 GT3 because both cars are so different. and i find that i hardly drive the 997 nowadays. i keep telling myself it's the P-car's turn for a drive, but i usually end up going for the Mclaren for the sense of occasion, the performance, the theater of it all. i thought it was just coz the Mclaren was new, but a year on, and i'm still having to force myself to drive the Porsche.

BUT when i do drive the GT3, i'm immediately reminded why it is such a special, visceral thing, and it does things and excites me in ways that the Mclaren never ever will. And i definitely am never ever going to sell the GT3.

If i had to keep only one? That would be tough, like choosing between your children. I don't know. Maybe put a gun to my head, i'd keep the GT3. But honestly, i'd be flip flopping.

So this is maybe a long-winded way of saying don't sell the GT3, and wait til the time is right to get a good deal on a Mclaren. they don't have strong residuals, so you could probably get a 650 at a good price.

1st world problems indeed!
Old 03-07-2017, 09:25 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

^^ Well said. Thanks for your insight on the experience...

I guess I will have to work harder, wait, and grab one when I can.

Enjoy!
Old 03-08-2017, 03:50 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had a 12c for 5 years and the 7.2RS for almost 3. imo they offer quite different things as said already. The Mclaren is ballistically quick when you want it to be and yet perfectly reasonable as a long range gt type car (very useful for long treks home after a trackday..) but it is ultimately lacking in chassis feel compared to the RS. I've put in a set of bucket seats and cup tyres to the 12c which has improved it a hell of a lot but it's still not the driver's car that the RS is - it doesn't pretend to be either to be fair as it's just a car from a different generation.

I still think the 12c in chassis feel/feedback is comparable to anything from the 9X1 generation as given the level of electronics in the 991 gt3/rs. fwiw, I also sold my gt4 after 3 months and 4k miles as I simply wasn't getting anything like as much enjoyment out of it on the road compared to the 12c and that was purely a 'feel' issue rather than a question of pace.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

I'm a huge McLaren fan (since the legendary F1, which remains my favorite car in the world) and am determined to one day own one. However, it would never come as a replacement to my GT3 RS, but only as an addition.

- Digital age cars (also like my GT-R) are fun, fast, and easy to get performance out of, but they lack the overall experience of a largely analog car. This is good but not as endearing overall.
- McLaren seems bound and determined to one-up themselves every 2 years, much like the smart phone analogy offered above. That once seemingly invincible 675LT just got one upped by a standard 720S, which is hugely regrettable from my non-owning POV.
- Due to point 2, the resale value on used McLarens seems to go nowhere but down. I know it's not an investment, but the fact that our older GT3s are solid places to avoid depreciation never escapes my mind, despite the fact that I no longer actively worry what it's worth.

I still plan to own a McLaren one day, but will buy a mightily depreciated example like a 12C and will know it might not be a long term keeper, just a super cool car with great image and performance. If I find I like the car even more than I expected to (like my GT-R), then that's not exactly a problem.

But DO NOT sell a proper 997 era GT3 for one of these cars!
Old 03-09-2017, 05:47 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

No way, they seem to be unreliable and always something wrong and in the shop. Not that engaging to drive, too easy, kind of like a RWD GT-R.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Name:  photo638.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  165.5 KB

Similar paint schemes. But it would have to be a good amount of cash on top.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:38 AM
Brian Himmelman
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
This is a question I'm wrestling with.. (1st world problem, I know). Bottom line I urn for a McLaren, So bad... A lot of reasons, mainly the modern feel, technology and the Exotic Presence of the car. So much to consider being that the RS was an end game to me, and I love the car... But, in general the RS is a car, and I should be able to let go and scratch an itch, right? I can't afford both, currently.
If I were to lay out the pro's cons.

RS:
For now, an appreciating asset.
Could be a collector but will depreciate at a lower pace...
Love the car and the sound, looks, etc.
RS/CONS:
Old technology.
Bubble, so sell now?

McLaren:
Pros.
Exotic, Fast, Sexy
New, Different
Anyday driver (more daily comfort)
Doors!

Cons:
Depreciation
Not an RS
Not Special

Curious on your thoughts,

my 675LT was epic and regret selling
The following 2 users liked this post by Brian Himmelman:
changster123 (11-06-2023), luv2race (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 12:36 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

It's fun to re-visit these threads and see my own older comments as I have gained additional perspective on the matter. I've been a specialty car dealer for the past 3 years and during that time I've had exposure to several McLarens, and have sold two of them (both 570S models).

I would say my original comments are still not far off from my more informed views, but I have gathered real-world perspective on both the performance and lack of reliability of modern McLarens. In my case the performance and overall driving experience of the cars is even better than I anticipated, but the lack of reliability is possibly even worse than I expected. My summary of McLaren versus Porsche is mostly "the McLaren is the hot woman you want to date but the Porsche is the all around great woman you want to marry and introduce to your family".

That isn't meant to take away from the McLaren experience though, as it is formidable in many ways. I do understand why people love their McLarens and I would not rule out the possibility of a 'depreciated' 720S making its way into my own garage one day.
The following 3 users liked this post by Steve Theodore:
luv2race (11-05-2023), Robocop305 (11-05-2023), Wonderdan (11-05-2023)
Old 11-05-2023, 09:28 PM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 150 Posts

I guess it depends on what you want out of a car. I personally dislike most McLarens aesthetically but I can see the appeal. The RS is amazing but its a rough car if you aren't using it as intended. Farting around town in an RS isn't the ideal usage for it. I don't think they will go down in price in the next 10-20 years (until millennials are aged out of buying/collecting these gen cars). I struggle with a similar debate because I have a dedicated track car and live in a city so the RS, although being my absolute dream car, is a bit out of place in terms of usage.

If you want a comfy cruiser that is a flex and feels special get some form of gated lambo or 430. If you want to have a super fast modern car, the Mac can scratch the itch but i'd prob go with a TT r8 or Huracan.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:44 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by vma1788
I guess it depends on what you want out of a car. I personally dislike most McLarens aesthetically but I can see the appeal. The RS is amazing but its a rough car if you aren't using it as intended. Farting around town in an RS isn't the ideal usage for it. I don't think they will go down in price in the next 10-20 years (until millennials are aged out of buying/collecting these gen cars). I struggle with a similar debate because I have a dedicated track car and live in a city so the RS, although being my absolute dream car, is a bit out of place in terms of usage.

If you want a comfy cruiser that is a flex and feels special get some form of gated lambo or 430. If you want to have a super fast modern car, the Mac can scratch the itch but i'd prob go with a TT r8 or Huracan.
R8 GT would be my choice but you're absolutely correct on that the RS is not fun in town. It pretty much sucks. Take that with a grain of salt as it's coming from someone who floats around town in an Etron SUV, which is like driving without ever leaving your living room. I have nobody chasing me down with their cameras, nobody yelling stupid ****, whether positive or negative out the window. That gets tiring super quick. I'm done with it and that orange color draws them in.

Quick Reply: Would you Trade your GT3 RS for a modern McLaren