Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Better bucket cushions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 05:00 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts
Default Better bucket cushions?

I have cgt seats installed in 997 RS. I posted same question in cgt forum.

Anyone experiment with aftermarket seat cushions/lumbar support for the cgt seats? Looks like the alcantera covers come off the cushion itself.

I'm noticing longer rides in the cgt seats are getting more uncomfortable the older I get. Surely someone out there experienced similar numb butt problem??!!
Old 02-21-2017, 06:04 PM
DWNDRAFT
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I have had the same idea on my GT2 seats. They back cushion is simply attached with velcro, and this should slip in beteen easily. Would be nice on the long autobahn transits.

Anyone did this?

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-21-2017, 08:39 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

I've been using a 1/2" pvc pipe for lumbar support in all of my 911s w bucket seats. Just slide it behind the cushion and the velcro holds it in place. Works wonders.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Have a destroyed L5 in my lower back and both the 997 and 991 buckets are uncomfortable for me on long rides. My solution, while inelegant, is simple. Find a small Recaro or other bottom cushion and lay it on top of the existing seat cushion. While it doesn't solve the lumbar problem, it does solve the pressure put on the glutes and the lower back. After I started using one, could to 7hrs pretty easy in either version of the buckets. Best of all, for short trips and track, just pull it out and voila; normal seat!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:37 PM
johnwb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find that my shoulders are too broad for my GT2 seats.
They seem to be made for a narrower man.

The result is the center of my back seems to sink further into the seat than my shoulders.
After about 30 minutes it gets very painful between the shoulder blades.

I cut a piece of 1 inch foam to fit over the cushion of the seat back. I just put it in a dark colored pillow case.
It's not attractive but I just use it for long drives to the track.

I have tried the cushion that DWNDRAFT linked to. I think it works well, but not for my issue.

Seems to me that it would work great for low back discomfort. I've just placed it against the seat back. I haven't tried placing it behind the cushion as he (or she) suggested.

It's a shame these seats aren't more comfortable. They look great and function well with a harness.
The only thing that prevents me from replacing them with an aftermarket seat is the airbag. It seems foolish to remove an airbag from a street driven car.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

goto custom car int shop
pull the offending cushion and tell them to make u one just like it but 2x thicker.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:38 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
goto custom car int shop
pull the offending cushion and tell them to make u one just like it but 2x thicker.
yup. Did this. On long drives Tushie is now supported by 4 inch cushion made of finest free leftover Honda black cloth there is.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:57 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT-2 seats here. Use 1-2" thick foam pads under the cushions. Cut to fit, I think my bottom pad is 8" x 10". You won't get that snug fitting feel, but I have adapted. For the seat portion, I use 1.5" thick foam. For lumbar, try different thicknesses and sizes to suit your needs. Makes a heck of a difference. Makes ingress/egress easier too.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:22 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
yup. Did this. On long drives Tushie is now supported by 4 inch cushion made of finest free leftover Honda black cloth there is.
Where did you have the cushions done at? Have a hounds tooth project in mind but haven't searched a interior shop.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:43 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

The wildly unpopular (omg I have to have buckets, everything else is a sofa) adj bolster seat is actually quite comfortable. While there is a weight penalty I found the adj blatters make things quite comfy for the lower back. Anything short of track work should be fine. While they don't have the carbon fiber look of the gt2, the gt2 isn't real cf anyway. Your cgt buckets are. Throw a pillow back there and experiment. I bet you need a little 6x10 job, maybe in a linen or a silk! I kid I kid ... GL
Old 02-22-2017, 09:04 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,322 Likes on 566 Posts

I use a temper pedic lumbar travel pillow - and have for years. Used it in my Cayman R LWB, and now in the GT4 (and GT3RS once we start driving it). Can't drive comfortably without it.

They are rock hard when it's cold but body temp softens them in short order - so on a cold morning be ready to let it "defrost" which happens quickly. After several years of use they tend to lose some "oomph" so we bought new last year and they are much firmer.

I keep intending to get some black alcantara to cover it (or take it to upholstery shop) but the navy blue fabric doesn't jump out at me, and so far I just live with it. I haven't tried putting it behind the seat insert but that might work.

This particular pillow is the perfect width and fits snugly between the side bolsters and stays in place until I move it.

Works perfectly for me, and another friend with a 997.2 GT3.

Available in several places and always seems to be $59. Maybe that's a lot, but I've tried other cheaper versions and none offers the perfect amount of support and "give" - so I stick with this one until I find a better alternative. Not typically stocked in brick/mortar stores so if a web site shows it in stock I suggest calling first. Haven't seen them in a store for years.

http://www.brookstone.com/pd/LumbarC...baseads|search
Old 02-23-2017, 01:15 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Replace GT2 buckets with these problem solved

Old 02-23-2017, 03:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ i do have that seat and strangely it is more comfortable than oem buckdets. it's just hard to get in and out.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Now that is a bucket! Wow
Old 02-23-2017, 09:57 AM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
What shop did you use to have this done? Looking to have some cushions made up.

Quick Reply: Better bucket cushions?