Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Potential .2 GT3 Purchase - Porsche San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:59 PM
TAS1130
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential .2 GT3 Purchase - Porsche San Diego

Hey guys, I have been following the forum for almost a year now in hopes of learning as much as I can before looking for a GT3. The car at the below link has been on the lot at Porsche San Diego for a few months. Does anyone know anything about the history of this car? Do any of you have experience dealing with Porsche San Diego? I stopped in twice over the last few days and took the car for a spin. To say the 997.2 GT3 is an experience would be an understatement! Granted it was a short drive but I was instantly hooked and confirmed my desire to buy one ASAP. I am not in a rush and want to ensure I am getting the right car.

http://https://www.porscheofsandiego.com/inventory/Porsche+911+GT3+San+Diego+California+2010+GT+Silver+Metallic+966405

They said they are unable to CPO the car because the car has suspension modifications but he was unable to specify the mods. The car has definitely been driven hence the mileage, which isn't an issue for me but the CPO would be nice. They said they don't have the service records from the previous 2 owners but do have the records of the work done since they got it. The DME report shows only a handful of range 1 overrevs.

Anyway, if anyone can provide insight on the history of this car or experiences with Porsche San Diego, please chime in.

Thanks and look forward to being an active member of the community as I progress on my search and ownership.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:38 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

car looks good and is fairly priced imho - esp good it is a car with normal steel brakes not ceramics, nice that dme overrevs are clean

if u can u shd take the car to a good local porsche indie who knows 997 gt3's ... 10 min on the lift they will tell u what was done with the suspension

u would also want to know if the coolant lines have been addressed

check out the car and buy it if there are no major issues... 7gt3 is one of the very very best driver's cars porsche has ever made, and ever will
Old 02-18-2017, 11:04 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 67 Posts

Try to find out what suspension mods it has specifically. They still CPO'ed my car even though it had all RSS components and mono blocks. No rubber bushings.

If it has new coils and springs, then that's understandable they can't CPO it.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:57 PM
TAS1130
6th Gear

Thanks for the input guys, particularly about having a PPI done by an indie. I think this will help identify the specific suspension components and put me at ease with regards to the lack of CPO. How have guys done this with a dealer in the past? Ask them to drive for the car to the indie on my dime or have the guys from the shop go to the dealer for the inspection?

If anyone else has experience with this car or dealer please chime in as well. Again, thanks to guys for the insight already.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:08 AM
abcut973
Pro

This was the car at some point:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-upgrades.html

Got put back to OEM more or less.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:19 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,123 Posts

If car was done at GMG its probably got their parts. has their plate frame. Call GMG, maybe they know previous owner.

Car looks decent. Has the standard seats which makes car less desirable for some. Grey full leather.

Nothing jumps out when looking at the pics.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:23 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,123 Posts

Found this. JRZs. Bar, race seats, harnesses, cup wing, etc
Probably has GMGs full setup. See if it still has those dampers. They are WAY better than OEM.

https://www.usedcarspot.net/d/litera...drazrskazkkkte

PPI down south, take it to Jae Lee at Mirage. He knows these cars.
Old 02-19-2017, 11:33 AM
TAS1130
6th Gear

Thanks abcut for posting the link to the previous for sale ad. I remember seeing that ad a while back. Looks like there were some great modifications made. I guess now I just need to figure out exactly which upgrades remain on the car. The original post also stated that the owner still had all maintenance records so I will try to get a hold of those as well. I will look into a PPI by Jake at Morage since they are so close.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:59 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I saw this car at GMG when mine was there. They were in the process of removing all the mods and going back to oem. It was my understanding that all the suspension parts were sold on RL.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:11 PM
TAS1130
6th Gear

DYSL, thanks for the info. From what I have seen/heard, the car was definitely done right. My goal now is just find out what components are still installed so I have a better understanding of where the car stands. The previous track time and mods don't really bother me considering the very clean DME and a good PPI, which I am going to attempt to have done at Mirage since it's so close.

Would you guys have reservations buying this car considering the significant mods that were removed assuming a clean PPI?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:20 PM
abcut973
Pro

I wouldn't mind having that full disclosure on the car and a clean PPI.
The mileage is on the high side so you actually would not be afraid to drive it
Old 02-20-2017, 11:59 PM
tono
Advanced

Porsche SD is really good. If they can't CPO the car it must have had significant work done to it (albeit the GMG mods mentioned above).

Everyone I know that uses GMG has been very satisfied with their work. They did some work on my brothers 997.1 GT3 and they are top notch.

I agree, that Jae Lee at Mirage would perform a great PPI.

If it has the differential done that is a plus.

My 997.1 GT3 was sold with 30k glorious miles. The upgrade from the 3.6L to the 3.8L is huge.

Good luck!
Old 02-24-2017, 02:30 AM
TAS1130
6th Gear

Tono, thanks for the info. Glad to hear Porsche SD is solid...so far my interactions with them have been positive.

I stopped in at Mirage and spoke with Jae today about the specifics of the car. I will probably try to get the PPI done early next week if things pan out. He will give me the final answer on remaining modifications. I also intend to reach out to GMG and inquire about previous servicing and the work they performed.

Thank again to everyone for the responses.

Quick Reply: Potential .2 GT3 Purchase - Porsche San Diego