Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Accel Junky's 997 GT3 Journal

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 06:35 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
This is so freaking awesome. I know Accel Junky for many years off Supraforums and he's just as much of a weight weenie as I am. So happy you found a 2010 GT3 and that you're here sharing your adventures with us. You're never going to regret buying that car brother.
Another former supra owner joins the club eh? Congrats on the purchase.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

Thank you my friend! I bought my own RS in May of 2013 and it was the buy of a lifetime. A true 'forever car' for me, and definitely the pride of my automotive life.

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
Another former supra owner joins the club eh? Congrats on the purchase.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:50 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by neurotichamster8
god, I looooove your journals

the m3 couples delivery was my favorite as my GF also drives a stick and is a huuuuuge M3 fan
Thanks! Yes, that was truly a once in a lifetime experience. I think we had some e-fame after that. My wife even met some people while at the dealer for service that had heard the story.

Originally Posted by WheelsB
[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"][CENTER]Congratulations on acquiring this great piece of machinery. Judging by the way you speak about her you definitely made the right decision. *Subscribed*

If you want to kill two birds with one stone the Akrapovic Titanium Sport Cup Exhaust will certainly do that for you. Gains of +8.4 hp // +11.9 ft-lb // and most importantly -46 lbs over the OEM exhaust. Not to mention the intoxicating sound:
Thanks! Sadly the Akra system is well out of my price league but the want is strong. As for wheels, I do plan on addressing that at some point. Not sure what direction I will go. Figure if I have the car long enough maybe burn through the Cup2 set first and then for the next set of tires grab some lighter wheels.

Originally Posted by MKIVdan
Congrats on the car! looks nice!

Nice to see old skool supra guys with GT3's and GT4's now
Yep! It's funny how that path works. Starting off in modded imports and progressing to the king of the hill Supra or NSX and then from there you get a taste of the good life and start making your way into Porsches and other more "exotic" machinery.

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Will be following this! Car looks great. All solid choices so far.

Any idea which Lithium battery you'd want to go with? I've been researching that on and off for the last month or 2.
Thanks! Fortunately Montoya made some good calls on some of the existing mods, so that saves me the extra work and money. I have been running Shorai LiFePo batteries lately. They are very affordable and very light. The only challenge I'm running into now is that 36ah is the most powerful they have (around 5lbs) and I've just noticed the car runs the fans sometimes after shutoff so that battery will likely be a little risky. I'm waiting for them to come out with a higher capacity battery with maybe a 7lb weight but I did talk to Shorai and they have some NASCAR teams running 2 36ah batteries in parallel, so I might consider that route if I try one of them and it can't hold up. Generally the 36ah has been great in my other cars that just use the battery to start (S2000, E46 M3, Miatas).

This is so freaking awesome. I know Accel Junky for many years off Supraforums and he's just as much of a weight weenie as I am. So happy you found a 2010 GT3 and that you're here sharing your adventures with us. You're never going to regret buying that car brother.
Hi Steve! Fancy seeing you here

Yes, been a while since my Supra days. I think I sold the hardtop about a decade ago now. Awesome car. Can't imagine what they sell for these days.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Values are crazy, and going to get crazier. It's why I'm getting back into that platform while I still can!

Originally Posted by Accel Junky
Hi Steve! Fancy seeing you here

Yes, been a while since my Supra days. I think I sold the hardtop about a decade ago now. Awesome car. Can't imagine what they sell for these days.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:44 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Thanks! Sadly the Akra system is well out of my price league but the want is strong. As for wheels, I do plan on addressing that at some point. Not sure what direction I will go. Figure if I have the car long enough maybe burn through the Cup2 set first and then for the next set of tires grab some lighter wheels.
What sort of budget have you place on an exhaust upgrade? There's a few other that I can suggest which are worthy of consideration.

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 02-10-2017, 03:23 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts

Yep! It's funny how that path works. Starting off in modded imports and progressing to the king of the hill Supra or NSX and then from there you get a taste of the good life and start making your way into Porsches and other more "exotic" machinery.

Aint that the truth? I started the same way..... modding imports and rolling into 3 Supra turbos and then finally, our good friend here Steve Theodore threw me into the deep end with the Porsche. I picked up a 997 turbo and ended up with a 997 GT3.

I also guess our wallets got bigger over the years too to support our habbits
Old 02-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

I look at it more like 'damn, I better figure out how to make a bunch more money so I can afford to have a nice Porsche' as a motivating thought.

Obviously that only works to a point...but I bet it does work for many of us! It's funny that the normal path of progression is Supra TT -> Porsche 911 TT -> Porsche GT3, huh?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:13 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts

I look at it more like 'damn, I better figure out how to make a bunch more money so I can afford to have a nice Porsche' as a motivating thought.

Obviously that only works to a point...but I bet it does work for many of us! It's funny that the normal path of progression is Supra TT -> Porsche 911 TT -> Porsche GT3, huh?
Haha! yes! that is our path Steve!

I also agree with you with about making more money to afford badass Porsche! I see an RS in my future
Old 02-10-2017, 05:51 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 115 Posts

Thanks! Fortunately Montoya made some good calls on some of the existing mods, so that saves me the extra work and money. I have been running Shorai LiFePo batteries lately. They are very affordable and very light. The only challenge I'm running into now is that 36ah is the most powerful they have (around 5lbs) and I've just noticed the car runs the fans sometimes after shutoff so that battery will likely be a little risky. I'm waiting for them to come out with a higher capacity battery with maybe a 7lb weight but I did talk to Shorai and they have some NASCAR teams running 2 36ah batteries in parallel, so I might consider that route if I try one of them and it can't hold up. Generally the 36ah has been great in my other cars that just use the battery to start (S2000, E46 M3, Miatas).
Ive been looking into that exact battery myself... Just hesitant because of that reason you mention, plus the cold weather here. Glad to hear you have had some good results from it.

Funny, it is like a Supra owners meeting in here... Bought my first MKIV TT 17-18 years ago next month.. sold my last one around 8 years ago.. time flies..
Old 02-10-2017, 10:05 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 259 Posts

Somebody say Supra?
Do I miss it, no felt like a truck compared to the GT3 and all the 800hp came on at 6krpm.

Sorry to derail, back on topic
Old 02-11-2017, 02:45 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

As far as exhaust is concerned a relatively inexpensive and effective solution is a side muffler bypass. This gets rid of a lot of weight in the rear for better handling and when tracking has the added benefit of keeping the hot mufflers from heating the rear tires. Downside of course is extra noise but some like it!

OZ challenge CL wheels are a great deal. They are 18" and fairly light, allows you to run cheaper Hoosiers for track days.

Here they are on your car (I had two sets)-

Name:  4620CA09-85C7-4DD0-9980-C8A7AC388F15.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  210.9 KB
(Actually I just like finding excuses to post pictures of my old/your new car!)
Old 02-12-2017, 09:30 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats! Love the yellow and the narrow body 3.8s are such a sweet spot in terms of value per dollar right now.

Funny to see so many Supra and ex-Supra guys in here, I always try and convince customers once their sick of their MKIV's and sell them for top dollar to spend every penny they have finding the best Porsche they can afford that fits their driving style. It's probably not the greatest decision for day to day business, but out of all the cars customers trade up for, Porsches are the only ones I see people keep for ages and drive happily (and Nero and I have been known to have a few ourselves...)

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 02-12-2017, 08:17 PM
Cursed1
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Another former MKIV owner who made the Porsche transition. Although I still miss the ravage sound and power of my former Supra, the Porsche scratches a new itch.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:18 AM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Lots of MKIV Supra guys, wow!

So I have been meaning to corner-weigh the car this week. That will be my first update but we are listing the house for sale and I've been scrambling to get it ready and haven't had time.

Meanwhile, Montoya sent me a ton of great records on the car from when he owned it so I have some great insight into how it was maintained for the track previously. TONS of money invested in maintaining it and the transmission work etc...

I also need to get up under it and see what GMG etc... suspension parts remained from when he last owned it as it went through some brief ownerships since.
Old 02-15-2017, 07:27 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Got off a little early today so I filled 'er up with gas to get a full tank baseline weight. This includes the existing weight savings from the side muffler delete and the 4.0L flywheel. The car still has a new OEM battery so that may be one of my first stops for weight.

3199 lbs no driver, full tank
39.7 F / 60.3 R
50.6 L 49.4 R

3417 lbs with my fat a$$ and left biased

Name:  939AF13F-A9CD-45A8-BD5C-3D2F71D05E91_zpsgxrrso6g.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  317.2 KB

Name:  0F687009-5B4A-4E8D-9B81-809E3D25B336_zpsmm96oyyv.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  208.6 KB

Name:  1CCEB7E9-E363-4F04-B31B-07D6A0997393_zps9qewwdw5.jpg
Views: 422