Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

K&N intake observation/issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 03:48 PM
esc911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N intake observation/issue

When I purchased my .1 the previous owner had installed a K&N intake in the car. Thinking that K&N had a pretty solid reputation I left the intake in the car, even though I had read on this very forum that it didn't really do anything. However, a few weeks ago my car was due for it's biannual smog inspection and since I couldn't find a carb sticker, I decided I would swap out the K&N for the stock intake. During this process I found a few interesting tidbits.

The main issue was on one of the intake couplers that K&N supplied had a pile up of oil, which is obviously not a good sign . This was the coupler near the throttle body. I conducted a pretty thorough inspection of the throttle body and it appears to be clean and issue free, so hopefully none of that caused any damage. No issues with the MAF either.

Also, the car appears to run better with the stock intake and feels like it pulls stronger from the low end. This is just an observation, no actual meaningful data besides a butt dyno. I would recommend anyone looking to buy this intake steer clear. I wish I had done the swap back to stock sooner. The K&N doesn't seem to provide anything and could potentially cause other issues.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:23 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

my car had one on when I purchased it and the first thing I did was to remove it and chuck it in the trash.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:22 PM
bubba928
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Agree. Get rid of it.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:20 PM
esc911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have taken it off sooner. At least it's gone now.

Quick Reply: K&N intake observation/issue