Gauge Cluster Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 02:16 PM
Cursed1
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Repair?

Curious,

Has anyone had to have one of the three screens in their instrument cluster repaired? I damaged the main screen on mine (997TT) this past weekend when removing it (bone headed mistake). I was hoping to quite the squeaks coming from this area only to cause damage...

I was considering hiring http://vdorepair.com, it appears someone from this organization used to be on this forum and on 6sp but the account is inactive since late 2015. Anyone have an experience with this company or any other company for that matter?

I'm considering buying another 997 cluster and swapping over the screen, it looks like it's connected via a basic ribbon. Anyone know if the regular 997's have the same screens as the GT3's and TT's?

I appreciate any input you can provide me in my endeavor to repair my silly mistake.

Adam
Old 01-30-2017, 03:19 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

North Hollywood Speedometer is, I believe, a VDO Service Center. I have used them several times in the past for instrument refurbishing and repair on older Porsche gauges. Not sure if they work on the newer stuff but it would be worth a call as they are among the very best in the business.

Here's the link to their website: http://www.nhspeedometer.com/
Old 01-30-2017, 04:22 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Yep, North Hollywood or Palo Alto speedo...
both are very well respected and may do these.
When you say screens, are you talking about the gauge faces? If that's the case both of these will handle no issue
Old 01-30-2017, 04:42 PM
runet
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a spare 997 GT3 cluster. The oil pressure servo on the little circuit board for the oil pressure needle is not in perfect shape and need some work - I was a little rough when I had to open it up. Other than that the cluster is fully working. Will part it out if needed.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Cursed1
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for the responses gents. I got a call from VDO and ultimately got the answers I needed. The center readout, the one that says PASM disabled, or add air... has a beautiful crack down the center and no longer displays text.

The gentlemen at VDO explained that all 997's have the same gauges internally when it comes to the three displays and is also shared with the 987 platform. The 987 gauge clusters sell for $200 on eBay with working displays so I am likely going that direction for a repair. This is what VDO would do, basically buy a used 987 cluster and swap over the items needed to repair my setup. This prevents any issue with odometer changes and so on.

I appreciate everyone's involvement.

Quick Reply: Gauge Cluster Repair?