Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Squealing Noise at Low Speed - Thoughts?

Old 01-10-2017, 07:40 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

No front end lift.

It has to be related to the brakes. Either a piston is bad cause pad contact or an e-brake issue.

Will post my experience at the dealer.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:11 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bogey1
Any chance you have the front end lifted when its making the noise? Mine makes some noise when lifted but obviously goes away at speed. Just a thought...
I get the moaning noise most when front end is lifted and I am going slowly down (and sometimes braking) the ramp into the garage
Old 02-05-2017, 03:05 PM
RSA_27149
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bringing this back up again.
DYSL: was the dealer able to identify the root cause? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:01 PM
DYSL
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The irony of it was when I took it into the dealers, the car wouldn't replicate the sound.

I did however run the car pretty hard a few weeks ago, and on my way home the squealing did start again. So I have deducted that it occurs when the car is hot. I may have come to the focus now that the sound is coming from the clutch/flywheel, and not the brakes. So once the weather starts to clear up, I'll take to the dealer after I drive it hard for an hour.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:19 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
An issue with the caliper -- or a piston -- is certainly a possibility. A piston is binding slightly and as a result can't move away from the rotor and the pad remains in light contact with the rotor. This can lead to the pad wear being accelerated.

I have no experience with PCCBs but with the case of iron rotors what often happens -- this is my experience with both of my Porsches -- is brake dust builds up on the piston dust boots and this can be enough to interfere with the natural tendency -- it arises from the piston seals -- of the piston to slightly retract from the rotor and with it the pad when the brake pedal is released.

Believe it or not I have had good luck eliminating this faint low speed squeal by thoroughly rinsing the brake hardware to remove the dust build up. A surprising amount of brake dust collects and the water runs black for a moment or two when I first hit the hardware with a spray of water.

Thus you might try a brake washing. I use a local car wash. I avoid jamming the wash wand tip real close to the brake hardware -- for fear of the water pressure tearing the dust boot. But even with a reasonable distance the water shows this is effective in removing the brake dust.

Be sure afterwards you apply the brakes early to make sure the brakes operate ok. With my 996 Turbo, even with rotors with holes, the first application of the brake pedal after this washing has the brakes manifesting a distinct lack of effectiveness that fortunately very quickly goes away as the water is removed.

Then when you can apply the brakes rather hard once in a while to get them nice and warm to thoroughly dry the brake and wheel hardware. While the rotors won't rust it is best to avoid putting the car away with wet brakes and the rear brakes with the parking brake hardware can still rust as I think the brake drum surfaces are cast iron.
Thanks Macster, this was very helpful. I had long ago resigned myself to accepting the squeal. It was so bad that I started enjoying my car only on the track and less and less on the street. Saw your post and got motivated. Did exactly as you recommended, plus performed a several hard braking stops (similar to bedding pads) to completely heat and dry the pads and rotors. I've reduced the squeal by 90%.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:09 PM
neurotic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 261 Posts

any update on this issue?

I'm having similar noise--continuous, high pitch similar to brake squeal but obviously I'm not pressing on the brakes. happens at low speed <15mph. very audible.

car is a .2GT3, PCCB, manual, FAL

thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squealing Noise at Low Speed - Thoughts?