Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

My dealings with Kendall Porsche of Bend, OR

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 01:55 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 103 Posts
Default My dealings with Kendall Porsche of Bend, OR

Hey guys, I figured I would post my story about my dealings with Kendall Porsche of Bend and see what you guys think of the whole situation.

I recently picked up a white 2007 GT3 from Kendall Porsche. Since I am in PA I had the car shipped to me on an enclosed trailer. The car arrived last Monday 11/21/16.

Backstory when first researching if the car was the one for me:

I found the car on Autotrader and called the dealership to inquire about it. I spoke with a salesman and received a couple of pictures of the car. The car has 33k miles and was in my price range so I was ready to purchase if everything else came back OK. I ask the salesman for a few more pictures, Carfax, and for the DME report to check for over revs. I also spoke with the sales manager as he was the one that traded the car in and did the inspection on the car initially. I asked him immediately about paintwork on the car and his response was "no paintwork, no surprises". I then asked if he could provide a paint meter reading to the main panels just to prove no paintwork. He says he metered the car himself and there is nothing to worry about and "if the car isn't exactly as described to you, send the car back". With that type of confidence in the car he was selling I felt pretty confident as well.

I completely understand that as this point I should have had a PPI done on the car, I won't deny that one bit. But coming from a very well established Porsche dealership I felt pretty good about the car and it's condition mechanically and physically.

Fast forward to Wednesday last week, 2 days after I got the car. I finally had a free evening to check over the car very closely/clean up the car. I am going over the front end and notice one tiny little paint nipple in the front fender. That immediately raised a red flag so I checked closer. Turns out that fender was indeed painted. I was pretty upset/shocked by this. I check the rest of the car and everything else is 100% factory paint and in nice shape. Also to note, I was able to find the previous owner of the vehicle and called him up after finding out about the fender. He told me he was backing out of his garage and turned to sharp and bumped the fender into a wall creating a small crease that was unable to be paintless dent removed and thus the repaint.

I call up the same sales manager that I spoke with initially about the paintwork and tell him my findings with the front fender. He reacts by telling me that he sees nothing wrong with having a front fender repainted since the car was never wrecked, just repainted. He also goes on to tell me how him and his team went out of their way to fulfilled all of my crazy requests for the car (the over rev report apparently). I tell him I believe the car's value drops without question and that they should take the car back or I should be compensated for the value difference. I am told he will review with his other manager and get back to me about what he thinks. Four days later I receive a call and I am told they will not be doing anything and that the value doesn't change for a fender repaint.

What do you guys think? Am I being way out of line here or does that indeed change value of the car?
Old 11-29-2016, 02:53 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

If you were told 'no paintwork', and there is some and he had an attitude after you brought this up, he lied. That said, get a PPI NOW, and then decide where you stand...

I went through this type of deceit a couple of years back - search on 'rbahr' and you will find the story, and even though there was a lot of lying, I decided that I just needed to make the best of a bad situation...

Good luck

Ray
Old 11-29-2016, 02:58 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 307 Posts

I had a stupid girl scrape the back bumper on my car. I was standing at a red light, she switched lanes and her front bumper scraped the left side of my back bumper. Scratches were almost too hard to see when I filed the claim. Her insurance Geico had to pay for it. Removal of the bumper, complete repaint at Porsche Certified Center. Looks brand new, I insisted on PCC Center for the repaint-
If one wants a car to be just like it came out of the factory, drive it into your living room and just keep it there, or put it in a museum

Moral of the story is just drive and enjoy it. If it makes you feel better, order a new fender, have it painted, and it will be good as new-comes prepped for paint, just find a competent place or better yet a Certified Center near you-
Old 11-29-2016, 03:09 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

^Yes, but this is something that happened while you owned the car. The OP was apparently lied to, based on his account of the events. I would be furious and demand to return the car or receive a compensation. Paintwork diminishes the value of a car, there is no question about it.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:32 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Exactly my point. I kept calm and told my opinion to the sales manager about paintwork and values but he insisted in his 30 years in car sales that I was absolutely wrong and all ten year old cars are bound to have some form of paintwork. While he might be right with the 99% of cars on the road, he is absolutely wrong when talking about a limited production car such as the GT3.

I am pretty furious about everything especially after receiving the call today saying they will not be doing anything about it.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:49 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I'd do a PPI at a reputable Porsche indy shop asap. And do you have any of what you talked about with the salesman in writing?

​​​​​​
Old 11-29-2016, 03:50 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I am taking the car in on Friday evening to get looked over. Truthfully though, the car is in amazing shape overall and I am very happy with it. I just don't like being lied to.

None of this is in writing as it was all over the phone. Sucks and it is just my word against theirs at this point which doesn't bode well for me at all. I just wanted to get the story out there and let people decide for themselves if they are trustworthy enough to earn more business.
Old 11-29-2016, 03:58 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Don't mean to rub salt onto the wound...

But thats why they are called "stealerships".

i would have the shop trigger a compression test if there are sufficient issues to warrant one.

I hope the car passes and you can enjoy her in good health.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:02 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

The sad part is I truly think they didn't pick up that the fender was repainted and didn't know. That doesn't change the fact that they lied and said they did paint meter the car when in reality they didn't and missed it. The car drives extremely well and pulls hard so no reason to think anything else is majorly off or wrong with it. I will just move on and enjoy the car but I couldn't go on without at least telling the story.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:12 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

Move on. Enjoy the car. The only time a fender or bumper repaint will affect value is if/when you sell it. And if disclosed, it probably won't. Are you really thinking about selling a car you just bought?
As always - caveat emptor - PPI. And if you skip the latter....

Last edited by JG 996T; 11-29-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:30 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

It was the fender not the bumper.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:39 PM
FastAlpine
Rennlist Member

Update:

Wrote an honest review for Kendall Porsche on Google about what happened and got a call back from the dealership's GM. I am receiving some money back for the car since it was not as described 100%.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:47 PM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Good for you. Glad the power of the internet helped you get some sort of reimbursement. Was going to suggest writing on Yelp etc...
Old 11-29-2016, 05:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

The dealer should have been better prepared on the history of the car they were selling.

In all, a 33k mile 2007 GT3 is by no means a concour trailer queen car therefore a fender repaint to repair a small dent is not serious on a street car that is used as such.

It would have a small affect on resale because the paint is no longer 100% original.
Not a deal breaker on a 33k mile car. But a little price drop would be expected compared to a car with original paint.

Good to see the dealer came around on the deal.

Great car!
Old 11-29-2016, 05:43 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 433 Likes on 307 Posts

It certainly doesn't look good for the dealership if they lied-but if the refund is enough for a new fender, have it painted-the one that was repaired might have had a slight scrape or a deep gouge-if you noticed something, it could be it wasn't properly repainted. A new one is as good as new with factory repaint/receipts to show-

Quick Reply: My dealings with Kendall Porsche of Bend, OR