Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lug nuts for 997 GT3.1 HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 08:24 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Lug nuts for 997 GT3.1 HELP

So I have another bizarre question but I'm stumped. Suncoast has lug nuts in two sizes. Short and Long with "GT" on the nut. It states the GT long nuts are for cars running 5mm spacers. I checked the nuts on my GT3 and they are all long nuts but I don't have spacers. Currently I'm running the stock wheels. Am I damaging the threads on my PCCBs with the long bolts? Does it matter? I feel like a moron but I don't know if I should replace the long bolts with the set of short bolts I bought. I also plan to run a set of BBS monoblocks. Should I run the long or short bolts with those wheels? I hope this makes sense. I feel rather stupid. I've had a lot of Porsches but I always ran stock wheels so I never had to think about wrenches and lug nuts. Please help. Thanks in advance! Josh, aka gt2-josh dumber than I thought.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

you're fine with the GT lug bolts.
or just get some studs from mooty and nuts.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:32 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

LOL! Thanks for the advice. I feel like a moron. What I really want from Mooty is a set of Perlon CGT seats to replace my leather / alcantara CGT seats. But Mooty Meister shot me down I'm no longer in the club It would have been my third set of CGT seats but alas no luck Thanks again! Best JBO aka gt2-josh
Old 11-19-2016, 09:37 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

he goes in spurts hoarding and selling... :-)
But maybe he's running low.
Those perlon cgt seats are the business, should have picked up a set for my 997rs.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:47 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Indeed they are the business. I've had a couple different varieties of leather CGT seats but I like fabric. I thought I got Mooty early enough to get them but no such luck. I ran Perlon 996 Clubsport seats in my last GT2 and Nomex seats in my F40. I've always been a huge fan of fabric over leather. In fact when I was 23 I bought a new RX7 FD Twin Turbo Base model. The fabric seats in that car were awesome and it was white. I was a proud kid. My life has changed a lot since then but darn I wanted those seats...
Old 11-19-2016, 09:49 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

If anyone wants to trade their Perlon CGT seats for leather/alcantara I'm your man. My seats are as close to new as new gets. Sorry for going way off topic. JBO
Old 11-19-2016, 10:36 PM
balefire
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Why doesn't your gt3 have rear spacers?
do you have stock wheels?
If you are not running spacers, it is safer to run the std short lug bolts. The long lug bolts might not seat properly without the spacer.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:39 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

I'm not certain why it doesn't have spacers. I think I'm the fourth owner. Yes it's running the stock wheels. However I also have a set of BBS Monoblocks that I intend to run. I'm also running stock tire sizes. The BBS are the same as the stock wheels except the fronts are 9s rather than 8.5s. Now I'm worried that the longer studs are not appropriate. I only just realized I had them because they all say GT on the lug face. I also have a set of the short studs. I simply don't know what to do. The car seems to be fine with the longer studs but I haven't driven it much since I bought it. Oh boy I'm worried again. However thanks for your reply. Best JBO
Old 11-19-2016, 11:55 PM
balefire
Pro

What is the offset of your BBS monoblock?
if it is near the OEM 68mm rear offset, I would buy a set of Porsche OEM 5mm spacers and use the original gt long bolts and spacers with both sets of wheels.
that would be safest.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:09 AM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Excellent question. I don't have access to the BBS wheels right now. However the offsets were designed specifically for a narrow body. They were built not long ago in a custom run that Mooty organized. I think there are only 9 to 11 sets all in different offsets and some are centerlock. I forgot to mention that my car has been lowered quite dramatically. I know this response was useless but if I don't have spacers on the car the longer bolts won't seat properly. Did the car come with spacers front and rear? I'm totally confused. And I owned one of the first GT3 RS delivered. BTW I did A/C delete. Other than the radio it was the lightest configuration available. I heard there are only 3-4 Green A/C delete RS.1s. Anyway I digress. If I don't have spacers and I run longer studs I'm at risk of. The lug nuts not seating properly?? Thanks for your response. Getting worried over here. Best JBO
Old 11-20-2016, 12:23 AM
balefire
Pro

Do you have a 997.1 gt3 RS or regular?
The regular gt3 narrow body came with 5mm rear spacers as stock. No spacers are in the front.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:28 AM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

I currently own a regular. However I had one of the first RS to land in the US but that is long gone. I'm sorry for the confusion. Best JBO
Old 11-20-2016, 12:56 AM
balefire
Pro

The car was intended to run 5mm spacers from the factory. I would run those with the gt long bolts. The low ride height should be fine without issue. My car is at the lowest ride height setting and has no clearance issues.

However, if your suspension is aftermarket low causing the tires and OEM wheels to touch the fender with 5mm spacers then I would run no spacers and short lug bolts.

Don't mix the long lug bolts without a spacer. Don't run the short lug bolts with a spacer either. You are asking to be another YouTube viral video as I posted in the other thread.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:04 AM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Thanks again. My car is aftermarket low. And I believe a prior owner removed the spacers because of a rubbing issue. I like the way the car sits in its current configuration. I guess I will switch out the long nuts for the short ones. I suppose some prior owner just didn't think to switch the lug nuts. Darn I just ordered a set of long bolts from Suncoast. I suppose I will return them. I'm scared something is damaged in the seat of the lug nut because they have been run this way for I don't know how long. I had a feeling this would be a mess Thanks again. Best JBO
Old 11-20-2016, 01:14 AM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

I do love mooty's nuts. Mike

Quick Reply: Lug nuts for 997 GT3.1 HELP