Hi from a new owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 03:52 PM
DWNDRAFT
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hi from a new owner

Hi

Short story, got a 2006 Carrera 4S X51 last December, enjoyed the car the entire summer, but the inevitable happed and the C4S moved to a new happy owner while I picked up a 997.2 GT3. What I actually wanted.

The spec is. Basalt black on black interior. Carbon bucket seats with leather/alcantara. Sport chrono,navi and dynamic headlights. Car is claimed to be “none tracked”, which I also get a little sketchy about on a GT3.... However my local Porsche tech looked at all the log data and stated that there is zero over revs and that the ODO/time matches what he would expect for streetcar, all service was done on time at Porsche incl. recall.

I drove the car back home thru 1200km of mainly Autobahn yesterday. What an intense car, and what a completely different animal than the Carrera 4S. I cannot wait to get to actually drive this thing, all tough it will be awhile since winter is coming here. This gives me some time to sort out some minor things.

12 Hours alone in car raises some questions, so I will hit the search function later. If you have answers or input on the below please shoot.

The car will be a summer toy driven with spirit, also for some intense High Alp road driving. Some long hours on the autobahn getting there is nessesary.

• can the bucket seats/bracket be modified to tilt the seat slightly, and can it be lowered as well?
  • Should I get all the coolant joints pinned?
  • Is the vario-cam bolts worth to worry about?
  • What is the best street alignment specs? Car seem to track the truck grooves quite a lot.
  • What are the top street tires to choose from?
  • How much front suspension rattle and squeaking is normal, as indicated in the manual. Especially on uneven and bumpy roads at really low speeds?
  • Can the exhaust be activated all the time by unplugging like a Carrera PSE? Any down sides to that?
  • Hiw to spot the difference between a CUP and normal splitter?
  • How to adjust/check the rear wing angle?
Some pictures from the Autobahn and back in the nest.

Last edited by DWNDRAFT; 09-23-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:00 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Post some pictures of your beaut! We'd love to see it. Driving on the Alps in a GT3!! Sounds heavenly.

-Dmitry
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 09-23-2016, 05:01 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. I can only imagine owning one of these cars with the Autobahn available to me.... your a luck y man, and I will be lucky to stay out of jail!
Old 09-23-2016, 09:21 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats - also looks like a really nice garage!
Old 10-21-2016, 03:40 PM
TrackAddict997
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! One of the best cars on the road, enjoy !
Old 10-21-2016, 03:55 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Congrats! You can add washers to the front seat rail attachment points (and longer bolts) to tilt the carbon buckets. This is not Porsche approved, however. So do so at your own risk.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:42 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

can the bucket seats/bracket be modified to tilt the seat slightly, and can it be lowered as well?
Lowered by using different side mount brackets: http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...slb-detail.htm

Should I get all the coolant joints pinned?
Absolutely, whether pinned or welded, but definitely one of them

Is the vario-cam bolts worth to worry about?
Look at the harmonic dampner from Dundon Motorsports: http://www.dundonmotorsports.com/harmonic-damper

What are the top street tires to choose from?
Michelin PSS (very hard to find now), upcoming Michelin PS4S

How much front suspension rattle and squeaking is normal, as indicated in the manual. Especially on uneven and bumpy roads at really low speeds?
You can hear the suspension noises, but its nothing that should be overbearingly loud. This is something thats hard to explain, as it is somewhat subjective

Can the exhaust be activated all the time by unplugging like a Carrera PSE? Any down sides to that?
Yes it can, but it will log an error code. Also, you will lose some low end grunt and if you have the stock center muffler you will have some drone. If you have a bypass, no drone. A better solution is add the Carnewal PSE controller: http://carnewal.com/products/P87/p97...Manual-Control

How to spot the difference between a CUP and normal splitter?
Cup splitter hangs down much lower and is a lot more flexible
Old 10-22-2016, 01:48 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
can the bucket seats/bracket be modified to tilt the seat slightly, and can it be lowered as well?
Lowered by using different side mount brackets: http://www.tarett.com/items/996-997-...slb-detail.htm

Look at the harmonic dampner from Dundon Motorsports: http://www.dundonmotorsports.com/harmonic-damper

How much front suspension rattle and squeaking is normal, as indicated in the manual. Especially on uneven and bumpy roads at really low speeds?
You can hear the suspension noises, but its nothing that should be overbearingly loud. This is something thats hard to explain, as it is somewhat subjective

Can the exhaust be activated all the time by unplugging like a Carrera PSE? Any down sides to that?
Yes it can, but it will log an error code. Also, you will lose some low end grunt and if you have the stock center muffler you will have some drone. If you have a bypass, no drone. A better solution is add the Carnewal PSE controller: http://carnewal.com/products/P87/p97...Manual-Control

this pretty much covers it....
Old 10-22-2016, 10:30 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Feel free to shoot us an email or PM about the variocam bolts. The GT3 with the stock dual mass flywheel is less susceptible to the them backing out, if you want to switch to a LW flightwheel then the damper is a must...

We have nice exhausts and dual cone airboxes as well!
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 10-23-2016, 09:41 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this only afflicting gt3 997-1 or are 997-2 gt3 and rs affected as well? I am thinking of upgrading my 997-2 rs to 4.0 flywheel and clutch.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:59 AM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
Is this only afflicting gt3 997-1 or are 997-2 gt3 and rs affected as well? I am thinking of upgrading my 997-2 rs to 4.0 flywheel and clutch.
It's usually only cars with the LWT flywheel. Most of the issues have been in the 3.8RS engines. With that said, 4.0 clutch is a good upgrade to make on the 3.8.
Old 10-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by khooni
It's the 997.2 RS with most of the issues as it has a single mass flywheel from the factory. 997.1 doesn't have the issue...
Old 10-23-2016, 04:16 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

^ normal 997.2 GT3 too?
Old 10-24-2016, 08:54 AM
DWNDRAFT
Instructor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Congrats! You can add washers to the front seat rail attachment points (and longer bolts) to tilt the carbon buckets. This is not Porsche approved, however. So do so at your own risk.

hm, that might work me I guess I can even machine some simple spacers with an angle too.

I found a new rail set that makes it possible to lower and angle the seats, but this is much simpler.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:12 AM
DWNDRAFT
Instructor

Originally Posted by bmwtye

Great answers right there! Thanks alot!

Quick Reply: Hi from a new owner