Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Nose lift, CPO, PCNA

Old 08-23-2016, 03:10 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
Thanks for the post-I tried to download your attachment but it couldn't be read on my Macbook
When I downloaded it the fil eended with .html.

Remove that so the filename ends with .docx and it might work better for you.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:21 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

I proposed to the rep that perhaps I can go back to the dealer I went to last year, close to me. The current one will not answer emails or phone calls-
Rep had told me he would contact dealer number 2, ask for details in the diagnosis-that was last week, and no one contacted me. Why didn't I get a PIWIS report/printout when the car was there on June 8th?
I would have liked to have spoken to the actual tech that looked at the issue. Service advisors don't seem to know a thing-
So now I think they just pressed the button and watched the car go up, even though the Lift message indicating it's up was going on intermittently/randomly-eventually leading to complete malfunction a few days after I left, quite frustrated. How do I know the unit is cooked, if there was no printed report???

The CPO booklet has a page explaining the FL lemon law, which I might try to pursue. Notice it says you must seek arbitration through Cap Motors

I will once again call PCNA tomorrow. Any other advice much appreciated.
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2016, 03:46 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Thanks, I deleted the .html from the downloaded file and it indeed opened up-
Old 08-24-2016, 02:54 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Spoke again to the PCNA rep yesterday-I've been insisting that my car was under full warranty on June 8th, almost a month left, and that the dealer was not able to diagnose and fix the problem. Lift logo was not lighting up/erratic behavior. The dealer should have contacted warranty department and it's looking like they did not-

So he said he could discipline the dealer, or file a complaint or put them on notice(I can't recall his exact words right now)but whatever he said implies the dealer would be furious with me I would suppose. But they have not answered my calls and email in 3 weeks anyway, so it's looking like I'll have to go to another dealer to get a full PIWIS diagnosis/report. I'm sure they will charge a diagnosing fee-

I told the rep I will eventually follow the CPO booklet and laws protecting consumers in the state of FL, arbitration through CAP-Motors. I'll have to find out more info on that soon-
Old 08-24-2016, 03:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Spoke again to the PCNA rep yesterday-I've been insisting that my car was under full warranty on June 8th, almost a month left, and that the dealer was not able to diagnose and fix the problem. Lift logo was not lighting up/erratic behavior. The dealer should have contacted warranty department and it's looking like they did not-

So he said he could discipline the dealer, or file a complaint or put them on notice(I can't recall his exact words right now)but whatever he said implies the dealer would be furious with me I would suppose. But they have not answered my calls and email in 3 weeks anyway, so it's looking like I'll have to go to another dealer to get a full PIWIS diagnosis/report. I'm sure they will charge a diagnosing fee-

I told the rep I will eventually follow the CPO booklet and laws protecting consumers in the state of FL, arbitration through CAP-Motors. I'll have to find out more info on that soon-
I hope they acknowledged that this fault should have been resolved under CPO when it was still valid. Its not your fault that the dealer did not contact
warranty on your behalf...
Old 08-30-2016, 06:02 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

A bit of progress to report-spoke to PCNA again today. He said that the dealership is not responding to his requests, and it looks like there is no other recourse, he is going to to file a complaint against them. I said that i wanted to make sure they knew I've had a courteous and pleasant experience and feel bad if that's the route to be taken, and he asked me to send a copy of my receipt from the June 8th visit to the dealership. So now I finally have an emailed document aside from endless phone calls that have been dragging for about a month-

I said once again that the electropneumatic pump system seems to be unique to the GT cars, and that regular Carreras don't have the option(as far as I know) and that perhaps the dealer wasn't prepared to diagnose the system(there was no PIWIS report). The dealership is brand new (opened 2 months ago approximately)and appears to be state of the art, but I never got to speak to the tech who might have looked at the lift issue. I imagine all dealers have PIWIS and after sales manuals to follow in diagnosing an issue like this-I paid for a brake and clutch slave flush which I observed to be done by younger techs-perhaps straight out of school, and I'm sure qualified for a brake flush but perhaps a senior tech should have connected to the OBDII port, and it seems this wasn't done. Anyone can press the lift button and observe if it works or not, and that the Lift message wasn't lighting in the instrument cluster-

If your lift system was to be stuck on the up position, the car would not be able to be driven normally, and I think I've read reports on owners who had that happen. Once there is a major failure, the Lift Malfunction message will keep appearing every time you start the car-
Old 08-30-2016, 10:28 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

And oddly enough, I just received a request from J.D. Power research company to take a survey on my car-
along with an email confirming and urging I take the survey.

My response to the email:
>>I am currently disputing warranty coverage with PCNA and a South Fl dealer- I would prefer to delay taking the survey until the matter is resolved-I believe the survey needs to be completed by 10/17/2016, so I will wait until the matter is resolved before making an assessment-

The only thing that went wrong with this car was the oil pressure sender, which was repaired about 2 years ago, so it's not like I have a long list of grievances and complaints. I just want the lift repaired even if the whole unit has to be shipped from Germany, the way it should have been done-
Old 08-30-2016, 10:53 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

And oddly enough, I just received a request from J.D. Power research company to take a survey on my car-
along with an email confirming and urging I take the survey.

My response to the email:
>>I am currently disputing warranty coverage with PCNA and a South Fl dealer- I would prefer to delay taking the survey until the matter is resolved-I believe the survey needs to be completed by 10/17/2016, so I will wait until the matter is resolved before making an assessment-

The only thing that went wrong with this car was the oil pressure sender, which was repaired about 2 years ago, so it's not like I have a long list of grievances and complaints. I just want the lift repaired even if the whole unit has to be shipped from Germany, the way it should have been done-
Agree. Best of luck. Been following this thread.
Old 08-31-2016, 03:26 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Excellent news!!!
PCNA agreed to replace the entire unit, part ordered from Germany this morning

Spoke to the service manager, and he said it took quite some time to insist with Porsche and "go over people's heads" until they agreed to the 100% repair.
Good cop/bad cop comes to mind-perhaps both sides wanted me to cease and desist? I'm not sure.

But I can say that on the first phone call, the very tenacious and pleasant PCNA rep vehemently stated that there's no way a decision could be reversed. Even when I protested and pointed out the car was still under CPO when I left quite frustrated without a solution.

I think my posts have been quite detailed and hopefully somewhat restrained despite my frustration. I did not name the dealer pending an outcome, and exerted pressure very politely.

I will add that last year, when I first had a Lift Failure and went to dealer #1 nearest to me, they were also unable to diagnose the issue, but the Lift was restored to functioning condition somehow. I was told a part was going to be ordered from Atlanta, it took days, then no definitive answer and was told just that a sensor was replaced, so I assume a pressure switch.
This time the whole assembly will be flown in from Germany.

Maybe my response to the J.D. Power survey also helped, not sure.
I had a good chat with the service manager just now and told him the rep said he was going to initiate a dealer complaint, not me, and that I actually preferred not to. So if the complaint was initiated, maybe that's what got the matter resolved. Not sure anymore, but the outcome looks good.
The entire unit should arrive in a week or so, then I'll have the car over there, and maybe they'll let me keep the old unit for my living room coffee table

Thanks for the private messages of encouragement and possible solutions.

Best,

John
Old 08-31-2016, 05:16 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Excellent news!!!
PCNA agreed to replace the entire unit, part ordered from Germany this morning

Spoke to the service manager, and he said it took quite some time to insist with Porsche and "go over people's heads" until they agreed to the 100% repair.
Good cop/bad cop comes to mind-perhaps both sides wanted me to cease and desist? I'm not sure.

But I can say that on the first phone call, the very tenacious and pleasant PCNA rep vehemently stated that there's no way a decision could be reversed. Even when I protested and pointed out the car was still under CPO when I left quite frustrated without a solution.

I think my posts have been quite detailed and hopefully somewhat restrained despite my frustration. I did not name the dealer pending an outcome, and exerted pressure very politely.

I will add that last year, when I first had a Lift Failure and went to dealer #1 nearest to me, they were also unable to diagnose the issue, but the Lift was restored to functioning condition somehow. I was told a part was going to be ordered from Atlanta, it took days, then no definitive answer and was told just that a sensor was replaced, so I assume a pressure switch.
This time the whole assembly will be flown in from Germany.

Maybe my response to the J.D. Power survey also helped, not sure.
I had a good chat with the service manager just now and told him the rep said he was going to initiate a dealer complaint, not me, and that I actually preferred not to. So if the complaint was initiated, maybe that's what got the matter resolved. Not sure anymore, but the outcome looks good.
The entire unit should arrive in a week or so, then I'll have the car over there, and maybe they'll let me keep the old unit for my living room coffee table

Thanks for the private messages of encouragement and possible solutions.

Best,

John
^^^ that's awesome news, glad PCNA stepped up to honor the CPO

what would be great and beneficial to the community would be to find out what component had failed on the unit ...

Old 08-31-2016, 08:30 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

I plan on asking to keep the old unit. It will be on my coffee table, and I can try to power it with a 12v source, diagnose if a pressure switch failed, take time to visually inspect it-it could be a second unit in case there are more issues in the future.

Sooner or later I think other members will stumble into this thread when they have issues-I thought of various routes, including the State of Fl consumer protection, CPO arbitration as indicated in the booklet, I thought of contacting PCA since I'm a member, etc.

So I received yet another call from PCNA this evening, and the rep assigned to my case was quite startled to learn that the part was ordered and the dealer called me this morning indicating everything was approved(!) So maybe the dealer/service manager did indeed "go over heads" until reaching someone who did the approval-but the rep was once again very nice and polite, scratched his head over the phone and said he wished he was notified(laughs)

Maybe my J.D. Power survey email response did reach Mr. A.P., Customer Relations Vice President at PCNA in Atlanta-who knows?
Old 09-01-2016, 12:19 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

See if you can get broken unit - we should find someone smart to disassemble and see if it can be repaired
Old 09-06-2016, 07:24 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by audipwr1
See if you can get broken unit - we should find someone smart to disassemble and see if it can be repaired
might be worth simply swapping each of the 3x pressure sensors in a failed unit to see which if any "went south" ... seems a more likely failure mode than the electric compressor itself (IMO - aka wishful thinking)
Old 09-06-2016, 07:39 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
might be worth simply swapping each of the 3x pressure sensors in a failed unit to see which if any "went south" ... seems a more likely failure mode than the electric compressor itself (IMO - aka wishful thinking)
Each of these are aprox 300$, but I'm looking into it, maybe trying one at a time, but would like more info if possible from others.

Another thing is; if replacing one or more of the sensors fixes the issue, then for how long would this be? If they are damaged due to heat, wouldn't that just happen again?

Unit itself looks easy enough to get to, as so do the sensors. I just need to figure how much wirering they come with, or if the wirering are to be resused.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:46 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

^^^ agreed they are expensive, but cheaper than a complete new compressor unit ... I would start with the thermal sensor which I *think* is the single sensor mid-way along the body of the unit...

btw I thought I noticed that one of these sensors changed part # at some point, I wonder if these failures is related to that change (i.e the new p/n fixed the failure)?

I'll go back and look at PET again to see if I am imagining that or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nose lift, CPO, PCNA