Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Brake recommendation questions

Old 06-20-2016, 10:37 PM
Rub
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake recommendation questions

Looking for some advice here, after first searching online..

I have a 997.2 RS that came with PCCB's. When I bought the car it came with a spare set of Iron brakes, that I quickly had installed after purchase, since I was doing the occasional track days. I'm now in need of replacing the front rotors and pads. I have the Brembo kit to swap from the PCCB's to steel rotors. My questions are:

- Can I switch to Stoptech rotors while still using the Brembo hats? It looks like Zeckhausen racing sells stop tech 380x32 rotors as direct replacements for the 380x34 Brembo rotors. It however looks like Stoptech also has 380x35 rotors. Can either of these Stoptech rotors be used with the Brembo hats, and if so, which one would be recommended, the 32 or 35mm? Checking, since the Stoptech rotors are substantially more cost effective vs Brembo, and I run Stoptech Trophy kits without complaint on my M3 race car.

- With the Brembo kit, it looks like a shorter annulus brake pad is required, as the regular sizing that comes with the PCCB ends up making contact with the Brembo rotor hat. What pads in this sizing are available and recommended? I mostly do backroad mountain blasts, with the occasional track days thrown in. Current pads are Pagid P90 FF, and I haven't been happy with the initial bite. I don't mind a bit of noise.

- Finally, the rear rotors and pads are still in good shape, but if I switch to stop tech rotors in the front, I should probably do the rears at the same time - correct? If switching to a different pad compound, I'll definitely be doing pads all around.

- Been trying to find a good DIY for rotor/pad replacement, so that I can get torque specs and see what hardware should be replaced at the same time, but have not had any luck. Anybody have a link?

If anybody has slightly used rotors pads that would work for me for sale, let me know.

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 06-21-2016, 10:40 AM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

If you are only doing the occasional track day, why not put the pccb rotors back on. And then on track days swap to the Motorsport green pads.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:53 PM
Rub
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmwtye
If you are only doing the occasional track day, why not put the pccb rotors back on. And then on track days swap to the Motorsport green pads.
Yes, considered that, but was never that happy with the feel of the ceramics either, and felt it better to go with a more aggressive pad on new iron rotors to use all around.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:39 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Very happy with many, many days on brembo rotors all around and race technology pads.
They last a loooong time.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:49 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Pagid 2707 pad shape would fit the stock setup for your car:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Pagi...2707-pagid.htm

With the setup on your car now I believe the 8003 would be correct:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Pagi...8003-pagid.htm