Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Failing Ca Smog: Secondary Air, not ready

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 03:12 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Larry, thank you for the quick response.

Just looked up mileage. Smog was done approximately 1,800 miles after Akra install. Check Engine light came on approx. 900 miles after install. 21,000 total miles.

Can this be reset with the Durametric? If so, anyone know how? Thank you.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Are you in CA?

You will fail either due to visual (aftermarket cats) or the code not set (cat readiness).

200 cell cats may or may not set efficiency readiness. You could try an extender. But, if you are failing due to visual you need stock cats on there. some shops are more **** about the visual than others. had my 89 smogged a few months ago and he didn't even both to look under the car.

Oh, the cat efficient set / indicator will either set (and clear) or fail and trigger a CEL on the dash. It takes sometimes 20--30 miles, sometimes longer.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:42 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,423 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Are you in CA?

You will fail either due to visual (aftermarket cats) or the code not set (cat readiness).

200 cell cats may or may not set efficiency readiness. You could try an extender. But, if you are failing due to visual you need stock cats on there. some shops are more **** about the visual than others. had my 89 smogged a few months ago and he didn't even both to look under the car.

Oh, the cat efficient set / indicator will either set (and clear) or fail and trigger a CEL on the dash. It takes sometimes 20--30 miles, sometimes longer.
ah I missed the AM cats ...
Old 02-23-2017, 02:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chardonet
Larry, thank you for the quick response.

Just looked up mileage. Smog was done approximately 1,800 miles after Akra install. Check Engine light came on approx. 900 miles after install. 21,000 total miles.

Can this be reset with the Durametric? If so, anyone know how? Thank you.
I dont think you can reset it with the Durametric ... I think it has to be PIWIS but I am not 100% sure.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:56 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

a durametric can reset the CEL
Old 02-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

a durametric can reset the CEL
I was referring to resetting the "2ndary air not ready" condition not the CEL.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

NO it cannot run a 'short test' to set those indicators. The PIWIS can do this for some indicators, but not all. I think EVAP it wouldn't set even with a short test. Took drive cycles.

Basically, those indicators have to be set with drive cycles OR 'some' can be short-tested with a PIWIS.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:38 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

NO it cannot run a 'short test' to set those indicators. The PIWIS can do this for some indicators, but not all. I think EVAP it wouldn't set even with a short test. Took drive cycles.

Basically, those indicators have to be set with drive cycles OR 'some' can be short-tested with a PIWIS.
Yep PIWIS is what resolved my issue, drive cycles were ineffective.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:45 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,791 Likes on 2,159 Posts

Mental note to self....never register any high performance car in CA.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:00 PM
chardonet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you in CA?

Yes, in Irvine, CA. The guy at the shop is ok with the visuals. He does not know nor care about aftermarket exhaust, and told him I may not pass due to that. He plugged into OBD, and sure enough, he said the cats are what is causing fail, and gave me a print out of suggested cats.

I'll drive some more after clearing, and if that fails, I'll do the PIWIS route. Thank you all!
Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

ok but here's the thing. if your O2 sensors are reading high PIWIS won't be able to force the pass.
you'll need spacers or OEM cats that will allow the computer to set.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:18 AM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

My GT3 is due for CA smog and I'm facing the same dilemma (EVAP and Secondary Air not ready). No dead battery or disconnect. I just haven't driven it lately accept for my drive to the smog station (about 10 freeway miles away with a full tank of gas). I understand EVAP only is okay for CA smog. My question, can the dealer reset "Secondary Air not ready" with PIWIS while the engine is still hot or does it need to be cold for that too? I just don't want to waste more time with this than I have to or do drive cycles.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:36 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Medicopter
My GT3 is due for CA smog and I'm facing the same dilemma (EVAP and Secondary Air not ready). No dead battery or disconnect. I just haven't driven it lately accept for my drive to the smog station (about 10 freeway miles away with a full tank of gas). I understand EVAP only is okay for CA smog. My question, can the dealer reset "Secondary Air not ready" with PIWIS while the engine is still hot or does it need to be cold for that too? I just don't want to waste more time with this than I have to or do drive cycles.
my Porsche dealer couldn’t, have you ran a diagnostic to make sure none of your O2 sensors went bad etc? You sure secondary air needs to be set, if it’s the only one not triggered I think your ok?
Old 02-01-2022, 03:05 PM
Medicopter
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I haven't been to the dealer yet to run diagnostics. My printout of the failed smog check (last Saturday) states OBDII not ready and lists Evaporative System and Secondary Air System. Everything else is listed as PASS. Wouldn't a bad O2 sensor trigger the check engine light?

Anyway, the guy at the smog station recommended to drive it more and also referred to driving cycles. Based on the mixed results other owners had with this method (see this and other threads) it looks like this can be a hit-or-miss. I just don't want to waste time and put slow miles on my car only to find out it didn't work

Larry Cable above (post #23) states that PIWIS worked for him. So I was thinking a trip to my dealer could fix this quickly unless the engine needs to be completely cold for that?

I'm in a bit of a predicament because my registration expires on February 12 (didn't expect it to fail).

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 02-01-2022, 03:40 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,063 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Medicopter
I haven't been to the dealer yet to run diagnostics. My printout of the failed smog check (last Saturday) states OBDII not ready and lists Evaporative System and Secondary Air System. Everything else is listed as PASS. Wouldn't a bad O2 sensor trigger the check engine light?

Anyway, the guy at the smog station recommended to drive it more and also referred to driving cycles. Based on the mixed results other owners had with this method (see this and other threads) it looks like this can be a hit-or-miss. I just don't want to waste time and put slow miles on my car only to find out it didn't work

Larry Cable above (post #23) states that PIWIS worked for him. So I was thinking a trip to my dealer could fix this quickly unless the engine needs to be completely cold for that?

I'm in a bit of a predicament because my registration expires on February 12 (didn't expect it to fail).

Thanks for your help guys.
First I'd say if you just unplugged the car there is nothing wrong with it... just drive more. That being said the post cat sensor can block ready w/out a check engine. The main thing is just seeing what bank the 02 problem is in so you can address it... because if there is an issue it will keep coming back.

You can manage all this this for $30...or pay Porsche $300 this is one of those things that buying your own ODB2 scanner on Amazon will save you a lot of $ and time.

EVAP is actually an 'easier' one to set you don't need to do the full drive cycle... if I remember right you have to 'cold start', idle for 3 minutes, drive around for 10 minutes under 30mph (never exceed 3000rpm), idle and then shutoff... don't take my memory for it though forums have lots of info on this.

You can leave your ODB2 plugged in actually and see it 'set' the emissions as it 'ready's

Last edited by Wonderdan; 02-01-2022 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Failing Ca Smog: Secondary Air, not ready