Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Throttle body electronic? Cleaning questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:57 PM
ymc226
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Throttle body electronic? Cleaning questions.

While I have the air box out to replace the serpentine belt, I'll want to clean the throttle body and MAF sensor.

Going on Youtube, there are both mechanical and electronic TB types. You can open the mechanical TB butterfly valve with your finger, spray cleaner and wipe off but with an electronic one, forcing it open by hand may set off a code or damage it.

Is the GT3 TB electronic or mechanical? If electronic, would you just turn the key on without starting the engine and press down on the gas pedal to open the TB? How much can you spray down past the butterfly valve or can you just saturate a clean rag and wipe down both sides of the valve?

In terms of cleaning the MAF sensor, it seems straightforward. Do you also spray sensor cleaner in the section of the inflow tube and screen that it screws into?
Old 01-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Its electronic i.e motor controlled but you can push it open to clean BUT leave the the ignition off so it doesn't see an implausible reading and log a code.

Pushing the accelerator pedal makes no difference unless the engine is running- the ECU controls throttle position based on many variables- the pedal just sends a signal for the ECU to use.

Quick Reply: Throttle body electronic? Cleaning questions.