Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Sad Day: Sold GT3 to make room for an Italian (candid comparo inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 03:24 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 351 Posts
Default Sad Day: Sold GT3 to make room for an Italian (candid comparo inside)

Well, for the first time since 2002 I'm Porsche-less. Everyone I know is in shock that I'd betray the marque, as they all know I've been a Porsche guy since I was a little dude lusting over the orange 914 owned by a friend of my father.

I'm still in shock a bit as well after watching the very happy new owner drive off in my car on Friday. He is a long-time Rennlist lurker and I'm sure he will do a formal intro soon (super cool guy...couldn't have asked for a better buyer or smoother transaction). My 997.1 GT3 was the best car I ever owned. However, as so often happens with us “car guys,” I got bitten by the “Italian bug” and just had to scratch that itch. Only time will tell if this new relationship will be long-lasting or more of a “summer fling”! It all started with a ride in my neighbor’s brand new orange Huracan, which turned into test drives of a few different F360’s, 430’s, and Gallardo’s (which we are all within the same general price range, give or take 10k). At the end of the day, I didn’t love any of them enough to replace the GT3, until, that is, I drove a manual 6speed Gallardo (I never did get to drive a manual 430, as those are totally rare and command quite a premium).

So thus started the hunt for a clean, well maintained 6 speed manual Gallardo. Found a great example in Mississippi of all places that was priced very fairly, super clean, and had lived most of its life in Arizona under the stewardship of the president of the local Lambo club for the past ten years. It’s a 2005, 6 speed, yellow (Giallo Halys) over black interior, front end lift, rear glass bonnet, oz wheels, yellow calipers, tubi exhaust and bmc air filters. I flew out with my 11 year old and drove her home 1400 miles to Arizona (well, almost, I had to tow it from Las Cruces due to a crazy noise that turned out to be a failed ac compressor shaft!). For those that are curious, I thought I’d share some of my very unscientific comparisons now that I have some seat time in the G.

Driving feel: Not even close...GT3 hands down. The Gallardo feels kind of numb in comparison, especially the steering. It feels heavy, and body roll is much more evident. Folks rave about the throttle response of the Gallardo but after you spend time in a GT3 it feels a bit lazy and laggy. The GT3 really does spoil you in this regard. Braking in the GT3 is also crisper with better modulation. The precision of the GT3 is really amazing…for example, stabbing the throttle at 4.5k rpm just feels so much more precise and instantaneous in the GT3. I will be doing the RWD conversion in the Gallardo in order to drop some weight (120lbs!) and liven up the steering a bit!

Acceleration: This one is interesting. On paper the two are very close, but the lambo feels a lot faster at low rpm's because of the extra 100+ ft.lbs of additional torque which is readily available down low in the rpm range. As you all know this is really different than a .1 gt3, and makes the Lambo "feel" almost like a souped up muscle car or c6 zo6. For me, this type of power delivery is probably more fun on the street, as you don't have to wring the car out past 7k rpm to feel the "push." High rpm pull is not as sharp or strong as the GT3. You can feel the Gallardo start to lose some steam as you get up higher in the rpm range, whereas there is no hint of losing anything in the GT3 as the revs rise to redline. I’m pretty sure the Gallardo would win a drag race with equal drivers (but it would be close), and that the GT3 would wipe the floor with the G on most tracks (stock for stock).

Fit/Finish/Comfort: This is obviously somewhat subjective, but the cars are really very close. The Gallardo has fewer squeaks and cracks, but its also sprung a bit softer. I had always perceived lambo’s as kind of just “thrown together” with sticky buttons, broken *****, and ill-wearing leather, but that is not the case in this car. Panel gaps are perfect, and the leather is obviously super high end and seems to wear better than Porsche leather. The lambo is really a nice place to spend time, even if MUCH more cramped than a 911. The 911 is much more roomy and comfortable in the inside (especially with respect to headroom and in the pedal box). The GT3 is definitely firmer and harsher in the ride category (which is really not important to me, but it may be to some). G has a crappy turn radius, worse gas mileage, and the ac also is not that great even though it was just gone through and is in perfect working order. Oh yeah, and about the rear visibility in the G…there is none (I really need a back-up camera). Reliability? GT3 already won that battle. I’ve already had 1600 in repair bills on the Gallardo, and two check engine lights (they turned out to be minor, but I did not have a single drip, CEL, hiccup, or other problem whatsoever during the entire time I owned either one of my gt3’s!).

Sound: The Gallardo has a Tubi, so its not stock, but I can say the sound of that v10 with that exhaust is just heavenly. Much more throaty and gurgly than the GT3 (I had cup bypass pipes on the 3). When you get on it, it has a very deep rumble that I love. Lots of intake induction noise with the bmc filters, which is cool with the windows down since the large side intakes are right below the windows.

Aesthetics: Also subjective, but I have always been a fan of the lines of the Gallardo, and think that its one of the prettiest sport cars ever made. I was also unprepared for the amount of attention this car gets. The GT3 got a lot of attention from enthusiasts and track types, but to many it was just “another 911.” Not the case in the Gallardo. Even though the shape is now dated, it still looks exotic and is the constant subject of camera-phone flashes and friendly conversations at every gas fill up. I started answering the question “how much did it cost” with “I don’t know, its my mom’s” and that seems to get people off the topic! People definitely look at you different when you drive a Lambo, and I’m sure most don’t realize you don’t have to be a multi-millionaire to own one. Still coming to terms with that aspect of ownership (my daily is a Chevy Volt, after all!).

Anyway, I still plan to remain active on this forum as I can’t imagine it will be long before I own another p-car and Porsches are still my first love. Planning on a 914 for my son as his first car. Perhaps the next one will be a 997 pdk cab that the wife can enjoy as well, or in a few more years another GT car (the buyer of my car agreed to give me first dibs if and when he sells, which I hope comes at a time when I’m better able to afford two “exotic” cars at a time!). Sorry for the long post! I won’t be far (got to get rid of the stockpile of parts that now have no car to go on (i.e., rs r&p, oem wheels with track tires, m&m cup exhaust, etc…will make a for sale thread soon).

Here are some pics of the new addition.
Attached Images      
Old 09-14-2015, 04:03 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats man - yellow of all colors i'm sure gets lots of attention as well. Any list of mods you intend to do with it? Will you track it?
Old 09-14-2015, 04:25 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

congrats on Lambo, something exotic for a change.

don't get 914 for your son, hard steering wheel and long manual shifter, and no Bluetooth and ipod connection, it will not work...
Old 09-14-2015, 05:22 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

So, mods are going to be rwd conversion (plus corner balance, lowering, and alignment). Very simple, reversible 2-hour diy that drops 120 pounds and improves power delivery to the wheels. After that, just small stuff, clear markers, lightweight battery, maybe some carbon bits and definitely a superleggera wing with oem hydraulic wing delete to shave a few more pounds. Gotta try to recapture a bit more of that GT3 feel! Maybe a tune in the future and some cat bypass pipes as well.

I doubt I will track it...planning on a gutted e36 m3 for that. I only tracked my gt3 once and was a nervous wreck the whole time...need something I can push a bit and not feel too bad if it gets banged up a bit.

He actually loves the 914...I think its a great first car. Easy to work on, relatively slow, good handling, cool, classic, and you can only take one passenger! Good aftermarket head unit and the bluetooth and ipod will be good to go!
Old 09-14-2015, 05:48 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

Lots of different flavors of "fun" and you're fortunate to be able to explore many of them. Never apologize for that! Have fun and be safe.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:31 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Sounds like fun.
Enjoy the ride.
I'm about 1 day away from closing a deal on a 3 pedal F 360.

Not completely sure i believe the (all cost the same +/- $10k) statement though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
at least not for comparable condition cars.

cheers

Craig
Old 09-14-2015, 06:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Congrats on the sexy hot italian. Once the allure of those flashy colors and exotic sounds fades, you'll be back with a practical, reliable German!

I think a 914 is a killer first car. The only thing that would dissuade me is the safety, those things are TINY.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:04 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

You may be right Spyrex about coming back to the faithful German! Time will tell. Hopefully I won't have to make that choice and can have it all at once at some point.

Craig, you are right, it would have been more accurate to say that the cars I looked at were within 10k of the car I ended up buying, with the f1 360's on the low end and the manual 360 and the f430 (which was a bit rough and higher mileage) on the high end, with the Gallardo's clustered around the middle depending on mileage and transmission. The manual 360 was actually a good bit more than what I paid for the Gallardo, but it was super low mileage.

The car I liked most behind the Gallardo was the manual 360. Very, very fun to drive! It was just hard to pay so much more than the f1 tranny on account of the tranny alone (plus, it was at a dealer which meant I'd be paying a hefty amount for sales tax (no sales tax in AZ for private party sales).
Old 09-15-2015, 01:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

congrats on the audi
but trust me. you will be in GT3 in less than 6 months.

once you use powder, you will never clean up.....
looking for straw...
Old 09-15-2015, 07:24 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love the 'G's look, colour, engine and sound, drive is OK (2 wheel drive conversion will help lots), personally I don't care for the interior. Otherwise I'd love one and drop some turbos on it
Old 09-15-2015, 08:27 AM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy it!
Old 09-15-2015, 09:02 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A month ago, my son and I were out at the western Nebraska Sandhills Challenge, where we ran my wife's Turbo Mini Countryman, as our GT3 went TU in KC, likely due to a failed new plug. It will be hopefully back on the road soon.

One of the events before the open road event was a standing mile. We saw a turbo'ed Gallardo run the standing mile at 228 mph.

It must be a very different experience to drive a car so Cab Forward. Not something I have ever done.

all the best....
Old 09-15-2015, 09:29 AM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for sharing that wonderful experience with your kid. I will likely never own a Lambo but I sure enjoy your first-hand comparison with your GT3. I will look for your future posts as I enjoy living vicariously through folks like you. All the best and and I know you must look 12 ft tall to your kid!
Old 09-15-2015, 09:35 AM
BartN (TX)
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

I wish I could break myself of the track habit. It would really open up all kinds of interesting doors for a new car. I've always had an Italian itch as well and always loved the Gallardo. I'll take mine in Orange thank you.

Congratulations on just going for it. However I do believe you'll be back faster than you think.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:50 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I bet you'll be back in a GT3 soon after the amusement from owning a Lambo wears off. My friend bought a Superleggera and I wasn't impressed with it for the money. But have fun with it in the mean time!

Quick Reply: Sad Day: Sold GT3 to make room for an Italian (candid comparo inside)