Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Transmission interlock switch

Old 09-14-2015, 01:29 AM
Greentree
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmission interlock switch

I stalled the engine of my 2008 GT3 at a traffic light. When I went to restart it, it was just dead. The battery and electrics all worked fine. The starter just wouldn't response to the ignition switch. A constable came by and urged me to let him call in a wrecker to get me out of way ASAP. As he was calling in for a wrecker, I ran the shifter through all the gears, and, behold, it started.

This makes me think that the little switch that requires you to be in neutral before the engine will start must be failing. I'm pretty sure the ignition switch itself and the clutch interlock switch are OK. Does anybody know where the transmission interlock switch is located? Is is mounted on the transmission or is it mounted below the shift lever?

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:52 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Whenever the engine stops, like when you stall it, you must turn the ignition OFF before it will start again.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:01 AM
Greentree
Intermediate

Right... But that wasn't it either.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

car doesn't need to be in neutral to start. clutch does need to be in. assuming you turned car fully off, then started again with clutch in, I would check the following:
clutch switch is functioning properly
Check battery function/health
Check starter, may need to be replaced
Old 09-14-2015, 04:39 PM
Asquared
Nordschleife Master

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Transmission interlock switch

Originally Posted by Spyerx
car doesn't need to be in neutral to start. clutch does need to be in. assuming you turned car fully off, then started again with clutch in, I would check the following:
clutch switch is functioning properly
Check battery function/health
Check starter, may need to be replaced
Also, if this is the issue, you will get warning on dash display to engage clutch.

The clutch switch on my Targa was malfunctioning intermittently for a while, so the warning would tell you to engage the clutch even though it was already to the floor. The shop said it needed a simple adjustment.

Might be your issue. When mine was acting up, I thought I was going to get stranded a couple of times, but it always started eventually.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:57 PM
volpenyc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a clutch switch recall issue with the 997.2s (WC09 ? I think)...mine did that once as well.. fixed at dealer...no cost. no more issues...
Old 09-14-2015, 07:57 PM
Greentree
Intermediate

Yeah, it turns out there is no transmission interlock switch. (I didn't research it. I just presumed it had one.) Anyway, it started just fine this morning.

This is an out-of-warranty 997.1. I think I'll order a clutch switch and replace it as a preventative measure. It's supposed to be pretty easy. I'm reasonably sure the starter, battery, and ignition switch are OK.
Old 10-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Greentree
Intermediate

Well, I replaced the clutch interlock switch, but I continued having episodes where it won't start. Finally a buddy of mine and I jacked the car up, took off the lower shield, and removed the starter solenoid cover. There was the problem! The wire coming from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid was missing a nut. The wire was just hanging on the post by its eyelet. I rummaged around in the spare nuts and bolts jar and found a nut that would fit. I suppose the mechanic forgot to tighten the nut when I had the coolant lines pinned. Who would've guessed?
Old 10-22-2015, 01:21 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats on finding the problem.

Consider yourself lucky all the starter current didn't arc-n-spark and trash the bolt.

Thanks for posting your find. Might keep someone from getting wrapped around the axle by a problem in the future.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:54 PM
wilbury
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal ignition lock

Hi petrolheads!
Great thread! Just yesterday I went on one of those fun "errands" and when I went to start my '07 turbo to go back home, panel lights came on, looked like there was power everywhere and nothing! It wouldn't turn over. After a few tries I got the message "depress clutch" ( or something like that). I had the clutch in all the time... Then I remembered I had seen some switches with wiring harnesses attached to the pedals when I applied white lithium grease to the clutch pedal of my previous '06 Carrera after getting tired of it sqeaking and clicking every time you depressed it. After a quick search I found this thread..
...so I was wondering...
1. what cars does that recall campaign include
2. Is the grey switch the only thing included in the recall
It would be so much more convenient for me to just swap that little part out and be done with that. $35 vs. driving over to the dealer dropping it off for a day...
thanks, everybody!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission interlock switch