Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Color changes frowned upon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Color changes frowned upon?

Hi all. After years of lurking and reading and researching I'm finally going to be diving into GT ownership. But, I have a somewhat, odd question;

Are there certain colors for GT3's that are not acceptable? For instance, the RS had colors that the non-RS didn't, from the factory. Is it a bad thing to have a non-RS painted Green, Orange, or Mexico Blue, for instance? And, likewise, taking an RS and giving it a color change?

I've been searching for a unicorn and it just isn't likely to happen. But, there are a million white cars out there and spending $5,000-$7,000 on an OEM quality paint job is easier to swallow than an extra $50,000-$70,000 on a car already green.

Thanks!!

Last edited by Burren; 09-09-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:36 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Burren, it will be your car, and you should do to it what strikes your fancy. Some of us have different graphics, wings, wheels, and other visible differences, so there are many differing tastes as to what looks best. As for diminishing value, or masquerading as something other than a factory RS, I have no opinion. I am sure others will chime in here about the perceived value of the different colors of these cars and their variants. But in the end, it will be your pride and joy, and you should do what you want, and ignore any opinions that counter your own. For instance, I think the green and "pumpkin" colors would not be shades I would prefer. But others pay a lot more for them. Ours is the basic appliance white. On the other hand, it has an aftermarket "cup" rear wing, which I also really like, but lots of others just don't care for it.

hope you can "score" something soon.

All the best....
Old 09-09-2015, 02:03 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

+1 Get whatever colour you want, and enjoy it!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Burren,

I agree with Nam Vet -- you should do what you want to do. However, I'd add that you should be ready for the consequences. A repaint of any kind generally diminishes value, and a color change diminishes it further. The real cost of a color change paint job -- a truly good one -- will likely be several times the $5-7K you mentioned. The car needs to be essentially stripped to the tub to do it right. And not doing it right would *really* diminish its value. And after you're done, even with a quality job, the car will likely be worth considerably less than if you'd left it alone. So in the end, you might be better off just paying the premium now for the color you want, if such an OEM color exists. Maybe you could find someone selling a paint to sample car that is more to your liking. Have you considered a full wrap to get the color you want?

Rob
Old 09-09-2015, 02:36 PM
Burren
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 258 Posts

Appreciate the quick insight guys, thanks.

Rob: Yes, I've considered a wrap. It's usually more cost-effective and the fact that it's reversible is appealing to me and perhaps a future owner. However, I had the suspicion that a high quality paint job would be MORE valuable than a wrap, perhaps I'm wrong? It sounds like you and Nam Vet expressed similar thoughts about a color change being a turn off.

I wouldn't be doing anything like trying to turn a Non-RS into an RS, or turning an RS into a Cup car. But, the right color - for me - is very important; it's all about passion!
Old 09-09-2015, 02:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

It's not the color change that kills that value of the car for resale, it's the full repaint that does.

And 5K for a quality paint job?
Old 09-09-2015, 03:19 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

generally anything from stock can be frowned upon for a potential buyer, that's why the key thing is to keep it as reversible as possible. a wing, wheels, seats, can all be put back to stock, a color change is nearly impossible - i'd go wrap personally
Old 09-09-2015, 03:20 PM
esc911
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a wrap is the way to go. There's some fantastic choices that get very close to some unique Porsche colors. I believe I've seen a Riviera blue wrap. That way you can get a color change and protect the original paint at the same time. You also maintain your value that way.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:15 PM
Cbwell
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on a wrap. You'll get severely penalized on the resale if you do a re-paint. Heck, most folks don't even want a respray on the bumper. For a truly OEM level paint job I think you're more in the 10-15K realm. I was quoted 5K just to repaint my hood, bumper and fenders on my old Turbo which I didn't end up doing.

Good luck with the hunt.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:28 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Originally Posted by esc911
I think a wrap is the way to go. There's some fantastic choices that get very close to some unique Porsche colors. I believe I've seen a Riviera blue wrap. That way you can get a color change and protect the original paint at the same time. You also maintain your value that way.
Wrap does not protect the paint.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Burren;12577226]Appreciate the quick insight guys, thanks.

I had the suspicion that a high quality paint job would be MORE valuable than a wrap, perhaps I'm wrong?

In my opinion, there's no "value" in a wrap -- except to you. If the wrap provides an acceptable and economical way for you to have the color you want, then by investing in a wrap, you're preserving the real value in the car, which is in the original paint underneath the wrap. And the cost of doing so is way less than a proper repaint, which frankly, could exceed $30K. The question is, would you be happy with the wrap?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:24 PM
esc911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ILLCOMM
Wrap does not protect the paint.
I thought some of the newer wraps were thicker and would at least provide some protection over bare paint, probably not as well as a clear bra, but still more than nothing.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:05 PM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Originally Posted by esc911
I thought some of the newer wraps were thicker and would at least provide some protection over bare paint, probably not as well as a clear bra, but still more than nothing.
I've always been explicitly told "wrap does not protect paint" by those installing it. I've not seen a wrap that can deflect a rock chip or anything along those lines. I just didn't want people to assume it did provide protection and then be surprised when they find imperfections post removal.

I suppose there's a market for colored protective wrap, but I imagine that would be extremely expensive to wrap an entire car in, and far less pliable/easy to do so.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:22 PM
r6elmo
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i've also seen cars that have had wraps removed that ended up damaging the paint underneath. so be careful who does the initial installation of the wrap and then also the removal of the wrap.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

if you plan to keep the car 'forever' go for it.
if not, go for it, as long as you don't mind eating a lot of $ due to dropping the value of the car

Quick Reply: Color changes frowned upon?