Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone want to sell brake spring tool?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 02:05 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Anyone want to sell brake spring tool?

I was told to ask here if anyone has a spring tool for sale or that I could borrow.

Need to do some work on my PCCB's and can't compress the retention spring.

Here is a picture of said tool (not made anymore)
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2015, 04:10 PM
aircavscout
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed my pads over weekend on my PCCB ... I pushed in with my THUMB on the spring and seemed to have no problem... What exactly does this tool do that makes it a requirement? Not sure what I am missing or perhaps I botched my brake job up.... LOL..
Old 08-31-2015, 04:16 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

That is what I use to do when I had big reds. This is the first time with a car that has PCCB. Mother Fer is stiff. I can't seem to get it to flex to remove the pin.

Unfortunately the guy that made these tools does not make them anymore.
Attached Images  
Old 08-31-2015, 04:34 PM
dantzig
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one of those tools, and it is indeed a great help. However, you can do the job without it. After you remove the bolt at the back of the caliper, insert a long punch from the back, and tap it out with a hammer. Pressing down on the spring while you tap makes it a little easier.

It is a bit harder to get it back in. I always steel wool the retaining bolt before I reinsert it, because the corrosion makes it grow a little.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:42 PM
aircavscout
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^... that is exactly what I did and worked like a charm. I was amazed that a full front pad change out only took me about 25 min on both sides. I spent more time lifting the car and getting the wheels off.. That tool does look pretty cool though.. Next tool on my list is the piston spreader.. I was able to use my hand strength and push the pistons back in but that nice red spreader I have seen mentioned elsewhere would have made it a breeze..
Old 08-31-2015, 04:44 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

The pins on my car have ridges on each side that are preventing it from sliding over the spring. I will give it another go tonight.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:49 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Push with your fingers, the tool was a hassle to me
Old 08-31-2015, 07:03 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Anyone want to sell brake spring tool?

It helps a lot to turn the steering wheel so you have as much access as possible. Also unscrew the bolt from the retaining pin as far as possible without taking it out. Push on it to get the pin started going through as you're pressing down on the spring. When it bottoms out unscrew it and the opposite end of the pin should be far enough through that you can grab it pretty easy.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:17 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Thanks for the bolt tip! Will try when I get home tonight!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:53 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

As opposed to a punch use a 4-5" long bolt and screw it in where the retaining bolt came out. Works like a charm.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:27 AM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my trick. Remove the retaining bolt and insert a pin - size doesn't matter as long as it fits. Then push the pin with one hand while tapping on the face of the spring with a hammer. The bolt will move across the face of the spring with little effort each time you tap the spring.
A guy was trying to sell me the tool you are looking for when I showed him my trick. He was depressed.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:09 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can add a thought to Terry's above. If you are considering using some sort of "pin", go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and pick up some brass or aluminum rod. Comes in several diameters, lots of us shooters carry a short piece to the range for the occasional squib load, where a reload or factory bullet has little or no powder, just a primer, and it pushes the bullet part way into the barrel. A bad scenario if you don't notice, and follow up with another round.

I carry a rod in about 9mm and another in about .45 size, aluminum, and rarely nowadays have to tap out a bullet. So you can pick up a length of rod, cut a short length off, maybe file or grind a point on one end, and tap out the caliper pin and being aluminum, or brass, not likely damage anything. With a point it will probably self-guide into the opposite side. As for pressing the spring down, for that I have no suggestion.

I keep some of the rods around for this and that.

all the best....

Quick Reply: Anyone want to sell brake spring tool?