997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Evaluate my track alignment specs 997.1

Old 08-31-2015, 02:15 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

I ran 0.25 degrees toe in a side (0.5 degrees total) toe in on my 997.2 RS.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:16 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by peterbigblock
Based on the alignment you have, I'd say your fidgety rear is sway bars. Perhaps you're a little short on camber in the back, check your tire temps across the tire and tire wear.

You might try softening your rear bar a 1/2-hole and see if that improves it.
Please tell us more about your C7 Stringray.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:24 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Please tell us more about your C7 Stringray.
The C7 is awesome, sounds great and comfortable as a DD. More comfortable than I would have imagined. The V8 torque and sound make it a nice change-up from a Porsche. It's wide, though, and doesn't feel nearly as nimble as a 911. I know the mechanical limits are similar to a 911, but the feeling is much different.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:05 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Based on the alignment you have, I'd say your fidgety rear is sway bars. Perhaps you're a little short on camber in the back, check your tire temps across the tire and tire wear.

You might try softening your rear bar a 1/2-hole and see if that improves it.
Put the rear bar to full soft? Right now it's in the middle of the 3 holes.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:07 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by kyrocks
I ran 0.25 degrees toe in a side (0.5 degrees total) toe in on my 997.2 RS.
Do you know what that is in inches?
Old 08-31-2015, 03:22 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Put the rear bar to full soft? Right now it's in the middle of the 3 holes.
A half-hole is softening one side of the bar (e.g., putting it in the "full soft" hole) and leaving the other side of the bar in the middle hole. Best to change bars 1/2-hole at a time.

You can also stiffen your front bar in 1/2-hole increments, that will also reduce mid-corner oversteer all else equal.

Be careful to only change one thing at a time. Otherwise you'll get lost as to what should be set where.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:32 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

A half-hole is softening one side of the bar (e.g., putting it in the "full soft" hole) and leaving the other side of the bar in the middle hole. Best to change bars 1/2-hole at a time.

You can also stiffen your front bar in 1/2-hole increments, that will also reduce mid-corner oversteer all else equal.

Be careful to only change one thing at a time. Otherwise you'll get lost as to what should be set where.
I didn't know you could change bar settings unevenly. Talking to a few others it seems like I may have ran too high of a tire pressure. Going to mess with that first.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:20 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 425 Posts

Your sway setting is the same as mine, and I'm very comfortable with it. Doesn't push too much for me but of course different alignment specs (not sure about mine).

I think it's the tire pressures as I've said before. 32F & 34R worked perfect for RA1's to my driving style. 36 used to be too slippery for my taste.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:43 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by sin911
Your sway setting is the same as mine, and I'm very comfortable with it. Doesn't push too much for me but of course different alignment specs (not sure about mine).

I think it's the tire pressures as I've said before. 32F & 34R worked perfect for RA1's to my driving style. 36 used to be too slippery for my taste.
Yeah I'm switching to Pirelli DH so I need to try new tire pressures anyway. I heard those need to be run lower.

What alignment specs do you have?
Old 08-31-2015, 07:07 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

I let the guys at Champion Motorsport handle the alignment, don't have a clue lol!

But they know my driving style (been a long time customer) so adjusted it accordingly
Old 09-03-2015, 05:51 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

What pressures do you guys run these things at? Cold and hot?

How do you handle bleeding down, pull in after a lap or two, adjust and go back out?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

It has been a while since I've run hardcore on DE (or done one altogether). I used 32F and 34R HOT for Toyo RA-1's when they were still in play. I'd run about 3 laps (had pretty much cold pressures memorized in my head but not anymore) then pull into the pits and adjust.

Florida is always pretty hot so the tarmac keeps hot as well, therefore I don't know if my cold pressures would have worked for you anyways. The best part is through out the year you wouldn't need to play around with the cold pressure much since we pretty much have no season change

Best way to do it is to run 3 laps, adjust hot pressure. And before your next session begins you can kind of see what the cold temperatures are. Note it down somewhere and use those pressures for your next track day At least that's how I pretty much knew how to adjust them.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:31 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Have you checked your ride height yet? That will make a pretty big difference - it's the place to start before you start messing with everything else (except for Toe).

Name:  Screenshot_9_3_15__8_31_PM.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  120.1 KB

When Andy Lally rode in my car, he said it felt a bit loose and that he'd first try stiffening the front. That plus a flap on the wing helped a bit - but it was really what I'd call fine tuning. Rake had a huge impact.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:21 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Have you checked your ride height yet? That will make a pretty big difference - it's the place to start before you start messing with everything else (except for Toe).

Attachment 969715

When Andy Lally rode in my car, he said it felt a bit loose and that he'd first try stiffening the front. That plus a flap on the wing helped a bit - but it was really what I'd call fine tuning. Rake had a huge impact.
Well when I ran the Nittos the rear tire was too short cause I ran the 315/30 so it had a ton of negative rake. I'm switching to 315/680 Pirellis which are way taller than the Nittos so now the car should have positive rake. If anything this should make the car even looser now.

Has anyone gone to full soft on the rear sway bar? I may go full soft rear and full stiff front if it gets out of control.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:55 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Those alignments specs worked great. Car was very balanced. Strange how it was loose and nervous on the NT01 and balanced and planted on the Pirelli DH, like two completely different cars.

Sway bar one from full stiff in front and middle hole in rear. Also found the car way more stable and forgiving on the non sport pasm shock settings. Sport makes the car too stiff and the bouncy rear brakes loose easily.

Ran my new personal best at COTA 2:27 with a passenger and a few small mistakes

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Evaluate my track alignment specs 997.1