Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Airbag Light driving me Nuts - HELP Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 03:26 AM
bjmurph
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag Light driving me Nuts - HELP Please

My Airbag dash light is constantly on. I have tried using Durametric to erase the Fault Code C141 'Communication PCM (display)' on my '07 997 GT3. I have recently replaced the CDR23 head unit (base level - no amp), and I have heard that this can cause problems. And no, I can't remember whether I had the Airbag light issue before the change. I have also removed and replaced the airbag & steering wheel (upgraded the wheel). Have checked all the connectors and they seem fine. The battery was, of course, disconnected during this operation.

Any suggestions gratefully received with thanks.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:30 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

A little slice of black electrical tape may help?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:09 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

second the black tape. A few years ago, picked up a nice vintage E30 BMW, and it too had the air bag (or was it the check engine light?) always on, so a carefully placed piece of tape "fixed" the problem.

Maybe not worth spending more time and money trying to figure out the problem. But it is up to you to decide if a possible failure to deploy the airbag is something you can risk.

All the best....
Old 08-13-2015, 12:30 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you remove any airbags like the thorax airbags in the stock seats? Mine blinked until I coded out the airbags I removed with a Durametric pro.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:35 PM
ZMC-ZH
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Would love to see an answer there.
I get a similar problem, airbag light on and off with no apparent reason. Audio, electronic, all is stock.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:45 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sea belt or seat switch can cause the little read seat belt light to flash on and off. Is that what you mean?
Old 08-14-2015, 01:46 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

it's most likely your passenger or driver seat belt buckle... they have a shelf life of about 6-7 years. Hasn't changed since the days of the boxster
Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 AM
ZMC-ZH
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Seat belt warning, bottom right from Tacho, is fine. It really is the airbarg one of the other side.
I never noticed the seat belt one coming on/off while driving.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Juha Pussinen
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,
I have ecat same problem. I find out there is switch in seat safebelt. Look image..and there was one wire cutted of..SO i take seat away and welding wires back in right place and .light blinking was gone..
Picture u will see swittch what you find when u open seatbelt box..where u plug ur seat belt when u start driving.Hope this helps.
br.Juha P,Munich
Old 08-17-2015, 04:58 AM
bjmurph
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Fixed It!!

Hey, some of you guys hit the nail on the head. After posting my problem, I did some more checking. By the way i neglected to mention that I had replaced the OE Porsche seatbelts with some aftermarket items. Why? 'Cause I was sick of the personal rectal examination the stock Porsche seatbelt buckle which is threaded through the carbon seat harness hole gave me every time I got into the seat. Bear with me on this. I decided to relocate the buckle outside the seat, which meant a slight mod to the side of the seat, then finding a buckle of suitable length, then moving the seats out a little so the buckle did not rub on the centre console which meant different side mounts (classic project creep). So on finally hooking up the Durametric, not only did I get the Airbag warning, I also got a fault saying that the seatbelt switch was shorting to earth. Hmmm. Being the inquisitive type, I pulled the seat and checked the switch of the aftermarket buckle. all seemed OK. So I then checked the OE Porsche buckle and guess what? While the aftermarket buckle showed zero ohms resistance when clipped, the Porsche one showed 100 ohms. I checked this several times until the lightbulb moment. I suspect the 100 ohm resistance was there to allow the canbus system to check for correct operation (just guessing here). Anyway I added a 100 ohm resistor from my local electronics store to my aftermarket buckle, and voila, the buckle error went away and so did the airbag fault. Wow!!
Old 08-17-2015, 08:11 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bing and yes air bag systems need resistance to certain spec to self check system.

I have learnt to ignore light as I can't be bothered to replace another buckle.

Quick Reply: Airbag Light driving me Nuts - HELP Please