Old 04-18-2015, 01:30 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

well u me joe are talking the same
it's like sex, u can explain all day.
just let them figure it out
they will go...Ah..... so..... yes.... fk....I should have listened...ah.. I got it now....

but don't get me wrong. IT IS FUN.just expensive

Originally Posted by Izzone
Also

If u think u are good at heel toe, try it in a cup...all ur minor mistakes are not tire slip anymore

It is transferred from slicks to the drivetrain and trans

Axles have a short time out, I had one time out at 5 hours( probably defective) .timed out in t1 at Sebring...straight into wall

Bump one into wall...find out what Porsche charges for a replacement bumper on a 996 cup..$7k

There is no street car crash protection...cups just fold up into ball

When I used to track my gt3s i thought the same thing....and I was wrong

My high strung antique with a 25-30 hour engine is over 1/2 the cost of a 996 cup to operate

And we havnt even touched on how sensitive they are to alignment

I still race one...997.2... Just don't own one

Last edited by mooty; 04-18-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:08 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by etchhead
The real race car should offer better safety features of the full cage as well- which was the other angle at the stripping of my car. I'm not in a position to have two GT3s at the moment (like Mooty's strippers)... but perhaps something without the Porsche heritage and sticker price that still comes with lap times and enhanced safety features.
^ this. Keep your GT3, bring it back to stock for back-roads and occasional DE fun and get a fully done spec boxster or a spec miata. The latter is extremely competitive and a lot of fun. There have been races where top 5 lap times are within 0.10sec. Huge starting fields so there's always plenty cars to race with. It's probably the largest series in the country. Consumables and parts are cheap. Crate engines are $5k + couple $k more for a pro shop to make it competitive.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:03 PM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by etchhead
The real race car should offer better safety features of the full cage as well- which was the other angle at the stripping of my car. I'm not in a position to have two GT3s at the moment (like Mooty's strippers)... but perhaps something without the Porsche heritage and sticker price that still comes with lap times and enhanced safety features.
what are you thinking of getting?
Old 04-18-2015, 10:21 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

Nice project to do but you will never get back your money back after full strip and cage. Also no chance to drive on the streets. If you got a clean gt3 enjoy for what it is. If u plan on racing I go the cup route. I sold my pristine 1st gen vw gti converted to full race spec and same with my 6gt3- I sold both for pennies on the dollar. Anyway unl
Old 04-19-2015, 01:09 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

OP, leave your 2007 for the street. It is too nice to strip and beat on at the track to risk a loss.

You are looking for next level, get a Cayman racer or a dear i say a 996 Cup...

Mooty has a killer 996GT3 track car. You could buy that car, let him kick you in the ***** three times and you would still be better off then buying a 997 Cup....
Old 04-19-2015, 01:44 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
OP, leave your 2007 for the street. It is too nice to strip and beat on at the track to risk a loss. You are looking for next level, get a Cayman racer or a dear i say a 996 Cup... Mooty has a killer 996GT3 track car. You could buy that car, let him kick you in the ***** three times and you would still be better off then buying a 997 Cup....

Haha- and who doesn't like getting kicked in the ***** from time to time! Yah these GT3s are worth a bit too much to hack up and try to make a want2be Cup out of them. Mine is still quite stock other than the bits mentioned in original post. Will prob leave as is and consider another route for pure track. I want something that can get wadded up without breaking the bank. An $80-90k GT3 is asking for trouble. M3/Cayman-Boxster/Z06 look like decent options to strip/cage with reasonable consumables. After tracking GT3 and 01TT I'd have a hard time getting into a Miata.
Old 04-19-2015, 01:50 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

e46m3 is fast and the cheaper than pcars
cayman build out is not as cheap as you would think. the NY pizza car in CFRA. ask him how painful his wallet is. and you dont want to know what i did with mine. cut car is CHEAP compared to my build cost. and i am talking 997.2 cup. boxster is great for PCA racing, you are racing the car not yoru wallet. in norcal it's the best porsche class. Z06 fast (you know margret bought rob m's old z06, i used to battle rob with my 996 GT3 in CFRA) but different.

if you can't do miata, boxster spec is likely too slow too.
should u do want a box spec, i have one for sale too.
you cannot escape satan.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:08 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another car for fun racing is the Factor Five Cobra race cars, competitive, "vintage", fast, good series, not too expensive, much of the car is owner repairable/maintainable. Or you can get a Superformance GT40 and be Dan Gurney & run in the Vintage races. There is an Olthoff Racing race support shop. But from my reading, if a person wants to test himself against other good drivers, the Miata series is tops.

All the best....
Old 04-19-2015, 05:53 PM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Silently observing...
Old 04-19-2015, 08:50 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
...you are racing the car not yoru wallet.
This is more fun to me than speed and/or never knowing whether the faster racers are faster because they spend x2 more than you, or because you suck.

Originally Posted by NAM VET
But from my reading, if a person wants to test himself against other good drivers, the Miata series is tops.
+1
There are a lot of really, really good drivers there making the competition exceptionally fun. And things can get expensive there if you want them to. Top cars done by to shops could command $60k+ brand new, although $30k should bring you pretty close to the top of the field at least in regional races if you know what you're doing.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:24 PM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VID997

Silently observing...
You going to get something different as well?

Quick Reply: To strip or not