Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.1 GT3 RS with 4.0 - aka Frog.0 - running the best it ever has thanks to COBB AP

Old 04-07-2015, 12:57 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 997.1 GT3 RS with 4.0 - aka Frog.0 - running the best it ever has thanks to COBB AP

Hey guys.. I have been struggling with getting a solid tune on my RS for quite some time.. It originally came off the dyno in early 2014 feeling very strong.. But then i would get check engine lights and it would "lose" its tune in a way.. The reflash on the stock ecu just didn't seem to take well.. I had 2 very good tuners tune the car but I would always get CEL and it was always kinda rough below 4k rpm.. It had been a bit of a struggle with the tuning options so difficult.. Well in late 2014 I caught word that COBB was releasing an application for the GT3.. Betim at BBI told me he had been helping develop it and it was going very well.. I have had a COBB AccessPORT on many different cars but where it impressed me the most was my R35 GTR.. Which is a very complicated car.. I knew that a COBB for the GT3 would fix all of my problems!..

And it did!.. It turned what used to be a headache into something fun.. I got the COBB setup (which is very very easy) in March 2015 and Betim sent me a base file.. So I am now very involved with the tuning process.. I loaded the base map myself and we started playing.. I am on the east coast.. He is on the west.. So i would do logs and send them to him... I could also look at the logs and see my timing, AFR, Cam angle.. Its actually pretty fun to study all that... We played around like that until I could get the car on the dyno in Atlanta at TopSpeed Motorsports. You really have to be in one of these cars to get a perfect tune with all the different stuff going on in my engine.. (cup S cams, 4.0 intake mani, different air box) So Topspeed's tuner Rob Harper took over and spent alot of time with my lil Froggy.. Had it on the dyno for about 3 days and absolutely nailed it.. So now the car is driving like I've always wanted it to!.. We actually did over 100 pulls on the dyno.. Gave it a serious workout! It made about the same peak power as before.. Right at 460hp to the wheels.. 330tq to the wheels (DynoJet)... But some gains through the mid range and the smoothness and driveability thanks to Rob and the COBB are at a level they have never been...

The COBB is the perfect application for these 3.6 or 3.8 to 4.x builds.. It's ease of use for the tuner and the user is so much better then anything else.. I can be anywhere in the world with my car and make a log and send it to my tuner and have him look at it in less then 5 minutes.. That just wasn't possible before with these cars.. You could do a entire session at a DE and log the whole thing.. Then go back and see if you get knock or any timing is pulled.. Also look at your peak speeds and peak rpm.. Really anything you want!.. Its really all pretty awesome that we now have this resource for our cars.. I am beyond happy with the results!!..

So really want to give a big shout-out to COBB, TopSpeed Motorsports and BBI! Thank you guys so much!!!

Leh Keen
Old 04-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Akara1
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 20 Posts

Glad to hear it worked out so well for you. I'm obviously going to be running the same setup on my car.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:25 PM
311RS
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 45 Posts

Nice write-up. It's great to see COBB supporting these applications with the AccessPort, like you said it's very powerful and just as accessible. Now if they would make one for a 930....!! Haha. I can't wait to feel the tune and hear the frog tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:59 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice power...but did they really only strap down the car by the front wheels?

Yikes...
Old 04-07-2015, 07:28 PM
COBB Tuning
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 185 Likes on 94 Posts

Glad to see it's running better!

Please let us know if you need anything at all Leh!

-Mitch

PORSCHE EXPERT GROUP - TIM | GRANT | HJ | ANDREW | JARED
COBBTUNING.COM | LIKE US ON FACEBOOK | SEARCH KNOWLEDGE BASE |CONTACT US

Old 04-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

These are good tunes. Even more powerful due to the access port on the fly map changes + logging available. I've about dozen track days on the 91, 93, and 100 stage 2 tunes, I don't have the big block power of Leh... drivability is better and car runs great. BBI and Mitch from COBB worked on my car.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:02 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lax01
Nice power...but did they really only strap down the car by the front wheels?

Yikes...
I actually wanted it strapped down that way. The wheel is obvi very strong and we used microfiber cloth to protect the paint on the wheel.

I used to work at a shop and we had a dyno and I always drive the cars on the dyno. We strapped to the wheel a lot. I Consider it a stronger point then any single suspension arm.

What do you see wrong with that setup?

Leh
Old 04-07-2015, 09:56 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Just...if the wheels turn, couldn't the car slide off the dyno?

Just seems sketchy to me to not strap the actual chassis down...is it strapped in the rear?
Old 04-07-2015, 11:46 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

If you look at where it is strapped.. Its actually impossible for the wheel to turn.. Plus the weight of the car on the tire.. That strap is only for backlash from the end of the pull also.. Like when you let off the throttle and the car lunges backwards..

And of course it is strapped in the back.. It would have to be.. the car would shoot off the roller if it wasn't.. It was strapped to the subframe with 4 straps..
Old 04-08-2015, 12:12 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 86 Posts

Very cool and great numbers! COBB makes a great product
Old 04-08-2015, 04:15 AM
Rix
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cobb has these cars figured out, and Mitch is pretty much second to none in support. You would be crazy not to buy an access port. The model they are using of a handheld flash device, the ability to purchase software to tune it yourself, and the combination of Mitch and available "Pro tuners" is just unmatched in the industry right now.

Car looks great, and 460whp in a GT3? That's getting the job done...
Old 04-08-2015, 07:42 AM
qtqc
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car and the numbers look great. Quick question, once you flash the ecu with the desired tune, can you unplug and use the car without the accessport connected to the car?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:48 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Wow Great numbers and love the car ............
Old 04-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree, Mitch, Cobb and the Accessport are awesome. 100 RON tune is nice and smooth. VERY happy especially with customer support!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:29 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

P.S looks like frogs have the leap on Cobb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.1 GT3 RS with 4.0 - aka Frog.0 - running the best it ever has thanks to COBB AP