Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Abs delete and ice mode

Old 04-03-2015, 01:38 AM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Abs delete and ice mode

Any suggestion in abs delete or fix the ice mode issue. All I can do is to avoid super late brake so far. Late brake = taking the chance.
I miss my 997S which did not have the ice mode issue, why Mr Porsche!
Old 04-03-2015, 01:48 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adjust braking technique to drive around it (cheap)
Or
MS abs system (not cheap)
Old 04-03-2015, 02:07 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

what size tires are you using?
Old 04-03-2015, 02:57 AM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

Have been dial back my driving and not much late brake. Just not much fun when I have to dial back. If I am doing solo/time trial with good run off track, not much stress. Battling with other cars, I always maintain a distant = no fun. **** happens, panic stop is unavoidable.
I was running 255/18 315/18 with r888 (really old rubber date back in 2007)
Old 04-03-2015, 03:05 AM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

For the nsx, the delete kit is cheap and I love the non abs setup. Not sure how easy to delete our abs?
Have been racing with non abs car and never feel uncomfortable in close battle.
Our gt3 keep me from joining any battle, a shame! I totally have fear of that ice mode.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:42 PM
Protocav
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It's not the late braking that gets you, it's the fast stab on the brakes. You can brake late, just ease into the pedal at first and then apply very firm pressure at medium speed.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

What everyone else said plus don't initiate braking on curbing that'll get you to (ie t10 Sonoma)
Old 04-03-2015, 03:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I talked about this in a different thread, but there are really 2 issues that the 'street' abs will intervene on, and this isn't unique to the gt3, other cars and brands have the same issues.

1. Braking force is limited to about 1g - this is caused by a jab and heavy pedal and seems to be meant to allow for the friction of street tires. I can repeat this readily in my data logs. The fix is fast but firm into the pedal and you can decal much higher than 1g with sticky tires. if a bumpy or slippery braking zone you can get #2

2. Ice Mode. This is very light stopping force (like .3g) with a hard pedal. Scary as hell but easy to drive around. You just lift and get back into pedal. I can get ice mode on very slippery braking zones, or a bumpy braking zone (surface, curbing, etc). Again, ease into pedal fast and firm and you won't get ice mode. Just know the track and avoid braking on curbs.

Again, the key is get on brakes then get ON brakes fast and firm. Don't JAB them. Jabbing will cause one of the 2 conditions above.

On ABS delete I'm guessing any competent shop can remove the abs pump and straight line it, or put the cup master cylinders on and allow for braking force distribution control, or put the motorsport ABS unit in the car. Its just a $ thing, not 'can it be done'.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:20 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Dive bombing on the 255 Tires are probably causing the ice mode.
The diameter change can cause Ice mode. Especially when late braking hard on them.

Stick with the 245 fronts and don't throw the anchor so abruptly.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:03 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

All in the initial pedal pressure and feel more than anything else. It has little to do with the brake point. Ice mode is very manageable and with time you never see it. Perhaps a couple of times in the last 5 years it has reared its ugly head on track and that was many years ago. Would also think about an early release to time with that slower initial stab which will carry more speed through the corner, hence no difference in lap times.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:52 PM
John Chan
Rennlist Member

When close battling, a lot of theory and what not to do can be easily erased in the brain. After one ice mode in a hot lap, very easy to chicken out and destroy the confident with the car.
Just a little complain
Old 04-04-2015, 07:49 PM
RSRanger
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I talked about this in a different thread, but there are really 2 issues that the 'street' abs will intervene on, and this isn't unique to the gt3, other cars and brands have the same issues.

1. Braking force is limited to about 1g - this is caused by a jab and heavy pedal and seems to be meant to allow for the friction of street tires. I can repeat this readily in my data logs. The fix is fast but firm into the pedal and you can decal much higher than 1g with sticky tires. if a bumpy or slippery braking zone you can get #2

2. Ice Mode. This is very light stopping force (like .3g) with a hard pedal. Scary as hell but easy to drive around. You just lift and get back into pedal. I can get ice mode on very slippery braking zones, or a bumpy braking zone (surface, curbing, etc). Again, ease into pedal fast and firm and you won't get ice mode. Just know the track and avoid braking on curbs.

Again, the key is get on brakes then get ON brakes fast and firm. Don't JAB them. Jabbing will cause one of the 2 conditions above.

On ABS delete I'm guessing any competent shop can remove the abs pump and straight line it, or put the cup master cylinders on and allow for braking force distribution control, or put the motorsport ABS unit in the car. Its just a $ thing, not 'can it be done'.
Very good comments.

Ranger
Old 04-04-2015, 08:28 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I talked about this in a different thread, but there are really 2 issues that the 'street' abs will intervene on, and this isn't unique to the gt3, other cars and brands have the same issues. 1. Braking force is limited to about 1g - this is caused by a jab and heavy pedal and seems to be meant to allow for the friction of street tires. I can repeat this readily in my data logs. The fix is fast but firm into the pedal and you can decal much higher than 1g with sticky tires. if a bumpy or slippery braking zone you can get #2 2. Ice Mode. This is very light stopping force (like .3g) with a hard pedal. Scary as hell but easy to drive around. You just lift and get back into pedal. I can get ice mode on very slippery braking zones, or a bumpy braking zone (surface, curbing, etc). Again, ease into pedal fast and firm and you won't get ice mode. Just know the track and avoid braking on curbs. Again, the key is get on brakes then get ON brakes fast and firm. Don't JAB them. Jabbing will cause one of the 2 conditions above. On ABS delete I'm guessing any competent shop can remove the abs pump and straight line it, or put the cup master cylinders on and allow for braking force distribution control, or put the motorsport ABS unit in the car. Its just a $ thing, not 'can it be done'.
Excellent comments. It's just a matter of practice and experience.

You can also try changing the brake bias with softer pads in the front.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:56 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by John Chan
When close battling, a lot of theory and what not to do can be easily erased in the brain. After one ice mode in a hot lap, very easy to chicken out and destroy the confident with the car.
Just a little complain
You just need to practice, and since you are time trialing and not really racing just back off and work on your technique and lap time. Spend one day focusing on improving this aspect of your driving and I bet it goes away forever.

I have a 996 race car that was converted from a street car and it is far more prone to ice mode than my 997 GT3 and there its nothing more than a minor inconvenience. As others have said, do not stab the brake pedal, ease on the brake (quickly) instead. Other than that, there are a handful of corners out of the 300 or so corners in my track universe that present special problems due to the pavement. For those I simply have to slightly alter my technique or line. I'm NEVER concerned about wheel to wheel racing with my stock ABS system.

If it does happen just lift off and reapply the brakes just as you would with a non-ABS car that is locked up. Removing the ABS will just make you prone to lock up instead of ice mode, not a step in the right direction IMO. Either way, you've got to practice dealing with the situation. Practice is much cheaper than the $10K motorsports ABS system.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:50 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Its been mentioned above, the check out this video on ABS braking technique http://www.apexperformance.net/CartG...SeminarABS.asp I heard Derrick live at the Tech Tactics East seminar last year and applied his technique. It works and my data shows me faster.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Abs delete and ice mode