Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:44 AM
911rox
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jono809
I've been using mine for about a month in the car now and it's a definite improvement, even driving normally if feels like there's more rebound and the car has lost that "floaty" feeling it has when previously driven in PASM normal.

I wouldn't say, for me, that squat & dive has been eliminated, it's been significantly reduced as has body roll on the street at least.

I took the car to our fastest local track last weekend, Phillip Island, and was able to take 1.5 seconds off my previous best lap time there. I also changed from Cup 2 to Dunlop Sport Maxx Race tyres - which should have had some benefits. The weather was also good in the first session when I set my best time, couldn't manage to go any faster throughout the rest of the day but was consistently within 0.7 seconds of my best time the whole day. I've also only been to this track twice before - so there would be time in that as well.

The car definitely felt better than it had done the previous time there in December. I probably had my tyre pressures too low as well, giving the car a softer feel, anyway - there's a lot of variables so read into it what you will. As has been previously stated by the DSC guys, it's just one part of the handling setup, it's a definite improvement without any trade-offs for me. I should probably get a second set of wheels and better tyres to get more out of the car anyway.

My best lap for reference, the camera was a bit loose unfortunately, but you get the idea. Much improved stability at speed.

2010 Porsche GT3 (997.2) Phillip Island 1:46.2718 - YouTube
Nice lap, your car on r-comps is good for a 1.43 flat or less on the island with a good track alignment... Don't necessarily need to pull 4th at turn 1 nor 2nd at Siberia... My best lap is a 1.45.6 on streets, my instructor a 1.43 on the same...
Old 04-22-2016, 10:39 AM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I picked one up for my 991, does anyone have any settings they are working with so far? It looks like the normal and sport are set up the same way.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by bigkraig
I picked one up for my 991, does anyone have any settings they are working with so far? It looks like the normal and sport are set up the same way.
The values should be different in the Shock Calibration table between the two modes. If you wish to make feel more distinguishable between the two modes for lighter load driving conditions then the easiest thing to do is reduce the numeric values from 0-20% in Shock Calibration in Sport mode.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:09 PM
bigkraig
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
The values should be different in the Shock Calibration table between the two modes. If you wish to make feel more distinguishable between the two modes for lighter load driving conditions then the easiest thing to do is reduce the numeric values from 0-20% in Shock Calibration in Sport mode.
Thanks Tom. Jordan helped me spot the differences (rear dampers 1650-600mA down to 1400-400mA in sport) and sent me an updated map from 4/15 that I am going to load up later.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:55 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Tom (or anyone), could you explain what the following settings do (on the new 2-mode unit) and how best to make adjustments?

Default rate (Lng Rate)
Lat Rate
Sensitivity (rate trigger)
Old 05-01-2016, 04:29 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

I am an avid fan of the PASM replacement unit!This unit has transformed my GT2.A shear pleasure and absolute joy to now drive as a street car!But still an animal at the track or for some spirited driving! Michael you are a god to me!Tom thanks for all your help!
Old 05-02-2016, 02:49 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by roketman
I am an avid fan of the PASM replacement unit!This unit has transformed my GT2.A shear pleasure and absolute joy to now drive as a street car!But still an animal at the track or for some spirited driving! Michael you are a god to me!Tom thanks for all your help!
Thank you Roketman. Glad you are enjoying your newly updated DSC.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:25 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Tom (or anyone), could you explain what the following settings do (on the new 2-mode unit) and how best to make adjustments?

Default rate (Lng Rate)
Lat Rate
Sensitivity (rate trigger)
The current DSC software that we are all using is actually the raw engineering version. I was told by the engineers that these three functions are there for them to calibrate the g-table and g-table patches. For now the engineers prefer us not to use these three functions. But in the future we will make videos to describe their functions.

As for how best to make adjustments, it depends on what you want to achieve. There isn't a right or wrong way. The software offers a number of ways to change damping characteristics. The most popular way is using Shock Calibration table.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:41 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
The current DSC software that we are all using is actually the raw engineering version. I was told by the engineers that these three functions are there for them to calibrate the g-table and g-table patches. For now the engineers prefer us not to use these three functions. But in the future we will make videos to describe their functions.

As for how best to make adjustments, it depends on what you want to achieve. There isn't a right or wrong way. The software offers a number of ways to change damping characteristics. The most popular way is using Shock Calibration table.
Okay fine, no g-table fun for now.

Silly question, but how does changing the damping stiffness affect understeer/oversteer? For some reason, when I run stiffer shock calibrations in the front (relative to the rear), I get MORE front grip (I thought it would be the opposite, like stiffening the front swaybar).
Old 05-06-2016, 06:30 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Silly question, but how does changing the damping stiffness affect understeer/oversteer?
Well, that's actual a complex question. I'll try to answer in short. Damper tuning is a way to manage weight transfer which affects tire frequency. Tire frequency affects tire grip thus affecting the balance of car. There are many books on this topic so I'm going to write my own here. Basically you want damping force to be "in the range" or in the "sweet spot" when the chassis's peak load is on the tires. Example, insufficient damping force during hard braking will cause excessive front dive that'll exceed the front tires grip threshold. On the other hand too much damping force won't allow ideal weight transfer to load the tire to surface. Its all a balance act. As far as DSC goes, the advantage is the damping force is changed dynamically with amount of g-force, direction of g-force, and other CAN-Bus activities. With that alone the damping force to each of the four corners of the car is closer to the sweet spot if not spot on for every fraction of the second in time compared to PASM.

For some reason, when I run stiffer shock calibrations in the front (relative to the rear), I get MORE front grip (I thought it would be the opposite, like stiffening the front swaybar).
Any chassis tuning method can be situational. If the situation is such that the front is under damped, then by increasing damping force the front will have better grip. Another example is some tires grip better with higher pressure than others. Even with the driver taking a different line, delaying or advancing brake/throttle can triggering a different results or just back to the example of the particular tire with X amount of tire pressure happens to works better with more damping force. There are many variables. That's why race engineers get paid the big bucks during race events to determine best course of action for the given situation with all variables in consideration(driver included).
Old 05-13-2016, 12:12 AM
flyingpenguin
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DSC causing Durametric error?

I did a routine scan with the Durametric Pro earlier today and am getting the following error that is persistent (cannot be cleared).

8007 Gateway incorrect coding

I have had the DSC unit installed for over a year and vaguely recall a potential issue here, but have not scanned car's fault memory for a while. Did not find any references to this error on the forums either, so thought I'd ask the question; could this be caused by the accelerometer installed as part of the DSC solution for a 997.1 GT3?

Any insight is appreciated.

JP
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2016, 02:38 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Do you have a Dension or Mobridge type device for Bluetooth installed? This error generally relates to that and can be ignored.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:57 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nzskater
This error generally relates to that and can be ignored.
^ I agree with nzskater. I see coding error of this sort with non-factory radio and nav system. Unrelated to DSC module and DSC accelerometer from what I have seen. The vehicle performance is not effected by these coding errors. My car did not have coding error with DSC and accelerometer. But it does now as a result of installing racing seats without airbags.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:47 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

997 GT2 with Cup 2s, solid links everywhere, stock suspension settings, full DSC Tractive package with Swift 616lb rear 336lb springs.

This car is ultimate 800hp daily driver, set up for response with 1.4 bar by 3200rpm.

Just picked it up after having some service work done and I took a passenger seat test drive with shop owner Phil Hindley who is an accomplished and experienced 911 racer.

From the passenger seat the incredible suppleness of the ride is even more apparent it really soaks up the ruts and bumps yet when some G is loaded in it firms up instantly. Phil was very impressed with it and was commenting on how it felt like it was making a lot more grip with this set up and is a real improvement in putting the power down, I’ve no doubt he will be recommending it to other clients – well done TPC

library pic
Name:  hogbrunt_zpstem89mur.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  131.9 KB
Old 05-16-2016, 01:51 AM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My car is currently at TPC getting this done. Interested in seeing the results for myself once I get it back.

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL DSC SPORT DISCUSSION FORUM