Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Summer Euro Trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 04:13 PM
dannyb
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Summer Euro Trip

I've always dreamt about spending a month or two of summer driving through Europe. Driving great roads, visiting friends and destroying tires. I'm thinking this summer might be the one.

The ideal situation would be to drive through Germany, France, Switzerland, Spain and Italy hitting all the best drivers roads and racetracks. Does anyone have any experience with a trip like this? Or know anyone that can help arrange something like this? I figure this will take a lot of planning so I thought I should get started on it now.

Any advice or help is GREATLY appreciated!
Old 12-10-2014, 06:13 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might be some useful info on this site

www.jackals-forge.com
Old 12-10-2014, 06:26 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

If you plan on being in Europe in June, would plan a stop at Le Mans for the race. A sports car heaven - all kinds of sports cars make the trek to la Sarthe.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Stewart Lund
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also planning a trip down to Italy this summer...I've not driven this route but I intend to...the opening sequence in the Miura in the Italian Job... All the locations are on here http://mitteleuropa.x10.mx/filmlocat...alian_job.html
Old 04-27-2015, 04:31 PM
Stewart Lund
Intermediate

And if you're going to be heading south in Italy I highly recommend the Amalfi coast road which is simply stunning
Old 04-27-2015, 05:45 PM
englebert
Instructor

I would suggest hiring a car - perhaps a nice GT3 - from RSR Nurburg who operate at both the Nurburgring and Spa. You also have Zolder, a fantastic ex-F1 circuit; all three are not far from each other and would be an awesome experience.

Driving wise hard to beat the Alps but go on somewhere like the Pistonheads forum and look at the countless stories and guides to Europe's best roads.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:04 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Call Fast Lane Travel - they put together Porsche trips around Europe. They also have a new option where you can ship your own car, drive it there, then ship it back. Honestly, if you were to spend a month out there it's a no brainer.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:50 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

I would also recommend Le Mans. And otherwise stay in central Europe. Northern part of italy, Switzerland, Austria, Southern Germany, I would skip southern Italy and don't go to far south in Spain. Think about Barcelona, beautiful city. I prefer Barcelona to Paris.
And if you decide to drive the Ring and is renting a car. A golf GTI is more than enough for most drivers.
Enjoy and please post pictures.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:36 PM
globed
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

June better than July... Longest days of the year, fewer crowds.

You could create an amazing itinerary circling the Alps (southern Germany, NW Italy, NE Italy, western Austria, SE France, drop into Switzerland if you like. Then head down to Spain.

Tell us more about your car plans and bucket list items - happy to help.

If you're a wine guy, famous vineyards abound. If it's every famous mountain pass - a bit of commitment and test of your intestinal fortitude. Beaches and lakes to break things up a bit? Race tracks are possible, albeit quite a bit of effort to line up track days.

Dan
Old 04-28-2015, 03:01 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out Edelweiss Motorcycle Adventure's Alps tour routes... I've ridden through 22 countries and that is still at the top of my list. Those roads that were excellent for motorcycles are equally entertaining for sports cars.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:01 PM
dannyb
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW! Thanks for all the info guys. I should start planning now!

I have a build for the new RS. Think I'll wait for next summer and have that car shipped there.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:53 AM
globed
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyb
WOW! Thanks for all the info guys. I should start planning now!

I have a build for the new RS. Think I'll wait for next summer and have that car shipped there.
You'll want to arrange Euro Delivery... That eliminates more hassles than you can imagine. Let us know when you're planning.

Quick Reply: Summer Euro Trip