Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

2015 Z06 Reviews

Old 02-02-2015, 12:14 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
And this, right here, is why Porsche needs to stop handy-capping their "little" cars. I get it: value-based pricing means if you spend more, you get more. In Porsche's case more of everything: speed, weight, space, comfort, luxury, traction. The Turbo S is ridiculously capable of doing everything well... Everything except having fun on a tight, curvy back-road, or even dare I say an autocross. Sometime less really is more. My (slower) 912 is 13" narrower than a 918, nearly 15"narrower than a Z06. Which doesn't sound like a lot until you realize it means you've got 50% more space between the centerline and the edge of a normal back-road to play with. And what we need most on the street is exactly that: more street means a bigger playground. This idea that little cars (Cayman) get less of everything means we're deprived of the time-tested recipe for a great sports car: small car, big motor. A 991 Turbo S and Cayenne Turbo S are two of a kind: both hugely impressive, hugely capable cars that I can't properly enjoy where I live and like to drive. I'll gladly pay whatever's asked for a small, light, playful little monster, a 4/5 scale RS 4.0 with the power and poise to get frisky in that extra lane width. What I won't pay for is another big car: this chase for more of everything might work on the Autobahn and keep 'Ring records tumbling, but in my world it's no fun when the cars get bigger but the roads don't.

Did you say you have a deposit down for GT4? 😉😉
Old 02-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Did you say you have a deposit down for GT4? ����
That I did, but I'm not sure it checks the box. 100 hp down on the GT3? Seriously? We can't get a real engine so we can live a little?
Old 02-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Terrence
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
That I did, but I'm not sure it checks the box. 100 hp down on the GT3? Seriously? We can't get a real engine so we can live a little?
Gotta keep the hierarchy. That will probably never change.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrence
Gotta keep the hierarchy. That will probably never change.
See my post above. The current hierarchy favors GT cars and even SUVs over lightweight sports cars, penalizing one while promoting the other. That should change. It wasn't always like this- go back to the 80s and 911s, 951s and 928s existed beside each-other, the 928 didn't emasculate and dominate the other two.

When someone cracks that ECU you'll see it change in a hurry...
Old 05-22-2015, 04:18 AM
RacingJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And all the reviews have glossed over the fact the pig overheats on the track.

I had overheating in a Z51 car in Phoenix at the track. Enough for me to reaffirm my knowledge that GM will always cheap out on something.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:45 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 875 Likes on 334 Posts

I'm just going to leave this here:

http://www.driving.co.uk/car-reviews...ette-z06-2015/
Old 05-22-2015, 04:52 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Haha... I have to say having driven one with the track package through the canyons in February I was surprised. It was much better than I expected. Had a rather dull (to me) / lazy engine but it was powerful and had serious grip. Was easy to drive fast.. Well I'm not fast but for never having driven one it was quite forgiving.

Old 05-22-2015, 07:52 AM
Ur20v
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

are they used nappies on the hood??? It did scare you Sharkster....
Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 84 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Ur20v
are they used nappies on the hood??? It did scare you Sharkster....
Lol!!! Nope it didn't scare me and I guess at least it was a manual so there was something to do
Old 05-22-2015, 09:22 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fat cars just don't fit well on many European roads. Back in '69, I took a new Dodge Charger R/T, with the 440ci motor to southern Germany, as a newly minted 2nd LT, with the 3d Infantry Division. Spent a year there before I was posted to Vietnam via Ft. Bragg, NC. My first wife, who later ran off with a lawyer when I was in the Mekong delta, and I drove from Schweinfurt down to Rotenberg a Tauber, a historic old walled city for a visit. There is a famous, very photographic street in the city where a road divides, one going down to a lower city gate, the other to a higher gate.

So I carefully drove that big Dodge down the lower road, but when I got to the lower city gate, it being made for ox carts, my car could not get thru it. So I had to back carefully all the way back up the slope and manage a turn to get out of the city.

This last fall, my wife and I visited Rotenberg, and I walked down to that same wall where 45 years ago my big American car was just too wide to pass. It was a bit nostalgic for me.

I when I see 'Vettes out on the road, all I see is a really really wide sports car. Too much so for me.

Extraordinary acceleration can only by enjoyed for occasional seconds, while svelte handling can by enjoyed every moment a driver has his hands on the steering wheel.

All the best....
Old 05-22-2015, 04:10 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

^^ Great story I can't imagine a late 60's Dodge Charger in Europe. I suspect it drew a bit of attention! LOL
Old 05-22-2015, 04:30 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Horses for courses.

Z06 is a hell of a car. Current Corvettes are incredible.

Corvette was never small. Even when it was smaller, other cars were smaller as well.

I'd buy a Z06 if I were in the market. I just wouldn't take it to an A/X. Then again, I hate A/X so that's a match made in heaven, no?
Old 05-22-2015, 09:28 PM
Jimmy18E
8th Gear

This is my first post....I have been a lurker for a while, I finally picked up one of my dream cars,,, 2008 GT3 RS and now feel I can contribute. I have learned a lot about the 997 from you guys. I have had a number of P cars, mostly 930's with a built 77 3.0 Turbo in the garage now to go with my RS.

I never liked the Vettes, even the ZR1, interior build quality really bothered me. My good friend has a new Z06 and this car has changed my opinion of the vette. Build quality is vastly superior to past vettes, interior is pretty damn nice now, not an Audi, but close to most high end European makes. It makes me feel good that an American company can match the best of Eurpoe on the track. There are only a very few cars that can best it on a track, that speaks volumes.

Jimmy
Old 05-22-2015, 09:29 PM
Jimmy18E
8th Gear

My bad, 3rd post.... Been a while

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Z06 Reviews