Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Moving from Bay Area to Portland (racing and logistics)

Old 07-27-2014, 08:04 PM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Moving from Bay Area to Portland (racing and logistics)

Hi all,
After 14 years in the BayArea I'm headed for Portland with a job transfer. I've really enjoyed the scene and tracks around here and hope to find similar up there. I'm on the race team with CFRA and will figure out how to finish the season (prob time for Truck/Trailor). I'm looking forward to PIR and The Ridge but would still like to hit the CA tracks especially as the driving season in Port will be shortened by the rain! I may end up storing the car down in CA during offseason then flying in for track days. Loads to think about and plan for but looking forward to the transition. Will need a safe storage site.

Any Portland crew RListers? Any advice for a transplant to the area?
Old 07-27-2014, 08:07 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Montoya lives in the Portland area

As for track days, also check out Porsche Train (Facebook page), they run open lapping days at Oregon Raceway Park. PJS and Montoya both attend these days.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

chk pm

leaving sunny CA
moving to dark wet OR.....

hum.....
Old 07-27-2014, 08:22 PM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks guys- yah, dark/rainy might get old quick... That's why Mootys PM might work well!
Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

Weather in Portland is very nice during spring/summer. Great foodie place. I like Portland myself. My daughter goes to school up there. Always enjoy my visits there. If u into wines check out the vineyards in willamette valley. Mike
Old 07-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Ugh! It's one thing to visit up north during the summer months but living there year around? Not for me, I do not venture north of the Mendocino co line after October! Used to spend summers in Ashland, always left in Sept, stayed through thanksgiving one year, big mistake had to clear the snow to get off the mountain!
Old 07-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

PNW tracks are great, season is longer than it seems, just have to be OK, with practicing skills in the rain/mist Most of the tracks up here drain pretty well.

We have a couple of invite only track groups, Porsche Train is one that goes to ORP in central oregon (typically dry...). And there are a few that go to the Ridge and Pacific Raceways. PM me for details, and contact info...

Welcome to the NW!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I love visiting Portland and get there quite often for business. As been said fantastic foodie (and coffee snob) city. Like really good. Being a socal native, who lived in seattle for a few years and in the northeast for a few more... i just can't do it again. Too spoiled by the weather. I'm old and set in my ways and that is that!

That said, driving in that often present mist and slickness should do wonders for your car control skills!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

2 French restaurants I recommend in Portland u should try is Paley's Place and Le Pigeon. Ice creamery try Salt and Spoon.Laurelhurst Market Restaurant(inhouse butcher shop as well) is great too. Voodoo Donut is famous in Portland- try at least once- not a fan of donuts. The fixed food trucks in downtown are great too. Mike ps- the restaurant below the heathman hotel is good too and there's a well known Thai restaurant Pok Pok. Also being in Oregon they have foie gras there which you cannot get in California(ways around that but why jump thru hoops for it). Mike
Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 PM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Voodoo Donuts and Rogue Ales.

Top two reasons to love Portland.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:55 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
PNW tracks are great, season is longer than it seems, just have to be OK, with practicing skills in the rain/mist Most of the tracks up here drain pretty well.

We have a couple of invite only track groups, Porsche Train is one that goes to ORP in central oregon (typically dry...). And there are a few that go to the Ridge and Pacific Raceways. PM me for details, and contact info...

Welcome to the NW!
haha
rain? oh gawd... that would get my cars dirty. the only thing I do on wet days is have wofe go,get my mocha, and i stare into blank space and cuss until rain stops.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:57 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

what's voodoo donut?
best I had was maple donuts with bacon bits.
sounds bad, but it's the best
Old 07-28-2014, 09:28 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Voodoo has same but 2 slabs of bacon not bacon bits. Too rich for me. Took 2 bites I felt 9 months pregnant. Mike
Old 07-28-2014, 10:24 PM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Welcome to Portland!

The only city in the USA with a municipal owned race track, 10 minutes from downtown. There are a lot of racetracks nearby, lots of good groups to run with and a very active racing community. Jamie or I can connect you with Porsche Train, and Black Tar Addiction, two private groups that run at ORP and the Ridge respectively and share pretty much the same group (private track days are the best!). If you want to race, there is SCCA and Conference- no real PCA club racing here, I run SCCA which is a hot bed for SRF group and most likely our top guys will win the run offs. Let me know if you are interested.

As far as Portland is concerned, its a great town and coming from California (OC), I love it. Portland is ranked 23rd worldwide in the list of cities for quality of life- the only one in the US to make the list- so take that San Francisco! Yes it rains, but it also snows in the mountains and snow sports keep you sane in the winters (at least me) and glass half full, you don't put mileage on your sports cars in the rainy season!

Welcome again!

Edit: Racing is available from March to October- not that different from San Fran. Shoulder season can bring some rain but surprisingly little and you can plan accordingly. Turn 2 lapping at the Ridge ran a lot of winter sessions when the weather would clear up and they had a lot of great days in Feb and March. If you are adventurous Thill is exactly 500 miles away and I have done the commute often- its a full day but doable.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
what's voodoo donut?
best I had was maple donuts with bacon bits.
sounds bad, but it's the best

Hell thunder hill his 500 miles from me. That sounds doable!

On the topic of donuts, you must be referring to that joint in SF, mission maybe? Dynamo? Man those are good. Really good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving from Bay Area to Portland (racing and logistics)