Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Moving from Bay Area to Portland (racing and logistics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 02:16 AM
Jamie_GT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
haha
rain? oh gawd... that would get my cars dirty. the only thing I do on wet days is have wofe go,get my mocha, and i stare into blank space and cuss until rain stops.
SanFran isn't much better, you just get it in the summer...
Old 07-29-2014, 03:14 AM
ShootingStar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what's voodoo donut?
best I had was maple donuts with bacon bits.
sounds bad, but it's the best
Originally Posted by 996FLT6
Voodoo has same but 2 slabs of bacon not bacon bits. Too rich for me. Took 2 bites I felt 9 months pregnant. Mike
Originally Posted by Spyerx
Hell thunder hill his 500 miles from me. That sounds doable!

On the topic of donuts, you must be referring to that joint in SF, mission maybe? Dynamo? Man those are good. Really good.
It's a doughnut, filled with raspberry jelly, topped with chocolate, and a pretzel stake through the heart. Kind of like a voodoo doll.

http://voodoodoughnut.com/index.php
Old 07-29-2014, 09:49 AM
dawgdog
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have lived most of my life in Seattle except for 2 years of grad school in Mass and 5 years in Pullman Wa where I attended veterinary school. The darkness and dreariness of the Pacific Northwest in winter never used to bother me but it does now. I think the change is related to my getting older (old) and I need to make an effort to get to sunny areas during the coming winters.

Tracks are good, though, and I have only had one rain issue this season. You will love ORP in eastern Oregon which is where Porsche Train is based. My brother and I did our first PT event at ORP this month and it was one our best track experiences ever. The Ridge is a great new track as well and if you want adventure try Pacific Raceways with its long straight and few safe runoffs.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:37 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie_GT3
SanFran isn't much better, you just get it in the summer...
nah, we get drizzles few times a year.
and those days i just sit and stare into space.

Originally Posted by X2daC
It's a doughnut, filled with raspberry jelly, topped with chocolate, and a pretzel stake through the heart. Kind of like a voodoo doll.

http://voodoodoughnut.com/index.php
wow. i must try.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:55 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regular freeways are rougher not smooth like the 280. Cars that run studs in the winter and such.
But summer is best with 70s and above weather. Many who track may bring two sets of tires depending on rain or( spring and fall). The Ridge is pretty grippy though.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:44 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

During commute hours in portland- it can be a bear coming in/out the city but surprisingly no one uses the horn. People are pretty nice there. Also in gas stations they fuel your car not u but sometimes u have to wait til he/she comes by if other cars there. No sales tax is pretty cool. Mike
Old 08-01-2014, 12:47 AM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the warm welcome and invite to the events and groups- yes please include me in the distro and look forward to running a few of the local tracks for sure! I'm still planning on hitting the remainder of the events SP and THill 5-ml but will need to figure the appropriate transport plan. Ideally truck/trailer but I don't have either... Rental??

Pls send the PMs and or Facebook invites!
Mark
Old 08-01-2014, 01:34 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

if you pay enough, i will send my trailer out.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:59 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
During commute hours in portland- it can be a bear coming in/out the city but surprisingly no one uses the horn. People are pretty nice there. Also in gas stations they fuel your car not u but sometimes u have to wait til he/she comes by if other cars there. No sales tax is pretty cool. Mike
Horns are for rude people. When it rains all winter you wait happily to have an attendant fill your tank.

if you pay enough, i will send my trailer out.
Cantrell makes trips a couple of times a year, but they are usually not to PCA days with Mooty and company. Don't let a truck slow you down- I've used Enterprise Commercial to rent an F250 at $65/day and they expect you to tow, and have used them to tow my trailer to Thill from Portland. Cheap and makes you wonder why you own a truck! So all you need is a trailer, which is a good investment if you track often enough. If you buy a trailer Mooty will help you spend your money, take his advice or spend more money later!
Old 08-01-2014, 02:36 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by montoya
If you buy a trailer Mooty will help you spend your money, take his advice or spend more money later!
i see you learned that you should have bought the 44'
Old 08-01-2014, 02:39 AM
montoya
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 174 Posts

^So true!
Old 08-02-2014, 05:39 AM
VID997
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

EH, 500 miles....no big deal...we have to make it a two day trip as it is from the Bay Area...you will just need to make it a three day trip now. Thus, giving me an excuse to have more than one drink after having a fantastic day at the Hill. I'd much rather spend one more night vs drinking and driving a 187 miles back to SJ.

Once again, huge congrats with your new position!

See you at SP!? Best of luck with the move.

Cheers!
VID

Old 08-02-2014, 12:10 PM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks VID- I'm in, just need to sort out the new seating requirement from CFRA!

Quick Reply: Moving from Bay Area to Portland (racing and logistics)