Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 05:29 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Curious if this mount is going on the trunk floor or? I have this power steering pump setup and am actually looking at mounting it either up by the battery or where the washer fluid reservoir used to be (removed mine) so that it doesn't take up any real estate in the already small trunk
Old 01-31-2017, 09:57 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

fuel tank inlet?
Old 02-07-2017, 11:28 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by Protocav
Cup holder for high G-force applications?
Originally Posted by fuego
a water pipe apparatus for recently legalized medicines?
Originally Posted by Rick 930
fuel tank inlet?
No quite but all are plausible applications. Might use you ideas for my contraption.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bmwtye
Mount for 997 cup electric power steering pump?
Originally Posted by jimk04
What tye said.....easy that one!...make me one?!
Originally Posted by nwGTS
gotta be. he's scavenging back some HP
You guys are good.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Default Steering pump conversion, Phase 1 - Going for a belt loop!

The following events occurred over the course of 5 weeknights and 2 weekend days. For my steering pump conversion I started at the engine compartment with the removal of the stock PS pump. Prior to the removal I measured the gap between the tensioner pulley and idler pulley knowing that I need a shorter belt while maintaining the same amount of tension as the stock belt. My way of determining the tension is by measuring this gap. Oh, I am keeping the AC compressor. The newer factory race cars have AC, so why not.

The stock steering pump removal was straight forward. But I was stubborn by not removing the AC compressor nor evacuating the AC refrigerant and disconnecting the AC lines so it took a good bit more time and wrestling to get the stock steering pump out.

Measured the gap between the tensioner pulley and idler pulley on another 997GT3 with a brand new OE belt, #6PK2260 (the last four digits indicates the belt length of 2260mm). The gap is 33.16mm with new OE belt.

Here's the gap with my OE belt with 8K street/track miles on the belt. Yes, the belt stretched! At 41.55mm it stretched a 8.39mm, that's a whole belt size! Public service announcement- Measure and replace belt occasionally

Thought I could cheat and save time by asking a friend for advice on a shorter belt length so in his good intention he recommended 6PK1733. Well I didn't fully cheat, I simulated the approximate length needed for my belt routing using a tape measurer and string with my simulation results in the 1710 to 1730mm range. So his recommendation of 1733mm was sort of in the range factoring in my margin of error so it sounded good to me at the time. Unfortunate the 1733mm belt didn't even tension up for the way I'm routing it. There's more than one way to route the belt and he might have different size pulleys so I'm on my own devices. This was 11pm so called it the night.

The next day I exhausted all my local belt suppliers for metric and imperial size belts! Keep in mind that the "labeled" belt length can be +/-3mm than the "actual" length and cross referencing brands can change the tolerance more.

Six belt changes later, with each change getting closer, the gap is at 33mm. Phase 1 completed.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimk04
...make me one?!
Ha. Several people have asked me since I posted the pics so we might consider offering this bracket for consumers. I think the design is overkill and took me every bit of 5 hours to cut and fit the pieces by hand using 6061 aluminum, and then the welding. Would have to change like 750...which is a lot considering I can throw together couple of mild steel strips to hold down the pump just the same but I wanted something that looks appealing to me and that every time I open the trunk I'd be proud of it.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Ha. Several people have asked me since I posted the pics so we might consider offering this bracket for consumers. I think the design is overkill and took me every bit of 5 hours to cut and fit the pieces by hand using 6061 aluminum, and then the welding. Would have to change like 750...which is a lot considering I can throw together couple of mild steel strips to hold down the pump just the same but I wanted something that looks appealing to me and that every time I open the trunk I'd be proud of it.
What made you choose to mount to trunk floor vs other areas since you are making a custom mount that is similar to the stock cup mount. I have this power steering pump setup and am actually looking at mounting it either up by the battery or where the washer fluid reservoir used to be (removed mine) so that it doesn't take up any real estate in the already small trunk
Old 02-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

What made you choose to mount to trunk floor vs other areas since you are making a custom mount that is similar to the stock cup mount. I have this power steering pump setup and am actually looking at mounting it either up by the battery or where the washer fluid reservoir used to be (removed mine) so that it doesn't take up any real estate in the already small trunk
I prefer to keep the weight of the electric steering pump low and more toward the front for weight distribution. And for easy accessibility.

I want to have certain motorsport features of the Cup cars such as electric power steering pump and LWFW, but I also want to retain certain features of my street car such as decent climate control and windshield washer jets. So, the washer fluid bottle stays. As long as there's room in the trunk to fit my helmet then I'm good.

Plus, the look is very sexy how the Cup cars have it. Especially on the .2 Cup. Even though both .1 and .2 function very well the .2 hydraulic lines look more refined to me. That's the look I'm going for.

997.2 Cup

997.1 Cup
Old 02-07-2017, 02:03 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Agreed .2 lines look better. Are you going to be using the little overflow tank that gets mounted above this pump
Old 02-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Are you going to be using the little overflow tank that gets mounted above this pump
Of course. Otherwise will need to wrap a towel around the cap for heat expansion from track use.
Old 02-07-2017, 03:59 PM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

I suspect you have it nailed....but assume you checked which way the belts route on this gt3 engine. I recall finding the 997.1 route different than the 996 gt3.

Caveat...I think I have that right!
Old 02-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MC 968CS
I suspect you have it nailed....but assume you checked which way the belts route on this gt3 engine. I recall finding the 997.1 route different than the 996 gt3.

Caveat...I think I have that right!
Have driven for 50 miles with full throttle 8K rpm runs the belt hasn't thrown off yet. The car definitely feels faster and lighter on its feet without the belt-driven steering pump.

Have more photos and more to the story but having trouble exporting photos from my iphone. Will try again later.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Default Phase 2 - Fun in the trunk

Moving on to the front trunk.

Carpeting is removed and will be put in storage should I want to convert back to stock one day. For now, going for the 997 Cup look in the trunk.

Ha. It never occurred to me for one second that this stuff is here in my own car. Will be saving some weight for sure.
And the previous owner left me one dollar. I'm now a dollar richer!

Cleaning up the factory goop.

Trunk is pretty close to being ready. Will be removing the NAV box, it never worked well anyway. But keeping the amp for some tunes.

I copied the hole locations for a Cup car. Ready, set, drill!

The cuts were clean. Flashing some paint on the exposed sheet metal.

Phase 2 is completed and it was without drama. Stay tuned for Phase 3, get ready for lots of drama...
Old 02-08-2017, 07:03 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 351 Posts

This is awesome! I always gut my front trunk!!! My 996 gt3 has no carpeting, no tools, no plastic covers, and no washer bottle, pumps, or lines (you can easily fool the sensor so you don't throw a warning light).

Your mount looks awesome (but I'd drill the snot out of it...its not like there are any external forces exerted on it!).
Old 02-08-2017, 07:13 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
This is awesome! I always gut my front trunk!!! My 996 gt3 has no carpeting, no tools, no plastic covers, and no washer bottle, pumps, or lines (you can easily fool the sensor so you don't throw a warning light).

Your mount looks awesome (but I'd drill the snot out of it...its not like there are any external forces exerted on it!).
Thanks! The mount weights only 0.75 lbs, its made from 6061 temper aluminum.

Quick Reply: Shaping up a new-to-me 07 GT3